Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Prepare to start paying for your baggage, all of it. There is a bit of good news though.
http://www.adn.com/money/story/770009.html

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

T
T
So be it. I'm leaving for Alaska in the middle of May and returning before the end of May. After that, Alaska Airlines
can do whatever it wants. I won't be flying to Alaska again.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It will work itself out over time but until then.

35lb each for two bags checked bag limit with one small carry-on that has to fit under seat or pay the 15 bucks. Except for medical or other politically correct needs. No bags allowed to be carried on shoulders to avoid hitting other passengers while boarding.

megabucks

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. � Anonymous

"It's Organic"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
More of the 'kill the goose that laid the golden egg' mentality. Neatly packaged so that only those of us who travel from the Lower 48 - not foreigners or intra-AK travelers - pay extra. At some point, we'll reach a Nash equilibrium and all those hunter dollars will start to dry up. IMO we're getting close when all expenses for an AK trip are added up.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eek

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Carl, guess we'll have to find a way to make those backpacks lighter! Bummer. crazy

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
More of the 'kill the goose that laid the golden egg' mentality. Neatly packaged so that only those of us who travel from the Lower 48 - not foreigners or intra-AK travelers - pay extra.

Don't worry. It's not because they offer discounted rates -ever- instate. (And they employ some customer contact people who must have been trained by Atilla.) When money matters to me, I nearly always avoid Alaska Airlines; and it's been that way for years now.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From airline of choice to airline of last resort in a twinkling...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
truly..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys in Anchortown are lucky. At least you have a CHOICE of more than ONE airline. We're stuck with the one & only. Yup!!! we're surely getting the "service" we pay for.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 04/24/09.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sucks being the hub......... wink grin

Steelhead

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just as easy to fly NWA as AK Air from where I live to ANC. So I guess I'll buy on price.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've flown Northwest, Delta, United, Continental, KLM and a couple others, along with a lot of flights on Alaska Airlines, over the past years. 2006 was the last time I was on NWA and KLM, I think; I've flown on Delta this year and United within the last couple of years.

All I can say is that, despite the difficulties it is facing, Alaska Airlines will have to drop another 90% to fall to the level of every other airline I've flown in the past 20 years or so. Until I retired two years ago, I flew 60 to 80 flights a year, so I have not been exactly inexperienced in what various airlines offer.

Alaska Airlines may be sliding, and they may have problems, but they are still so far above everyone else that they rate no discussion. I won't consider flying another company if Alaska flies to the same spot, unless the price is significantly higher. And that's not going to happen.

YMMV...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am planning on going to alaska hunting and fishing next June (2010)I have been thinking of what to bring.. I rememebr years ago..you could bring lots and lots.. not anymore

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ohhh great Dennis that's just what I needed to hear!

booked my boys on NWA to go see grandparents in lower 48 cause it's the only way to get to the small city that serves their destination without changing carriers.

15 and 11, the 15 year old would be optional but the 11 year old negated the option to not pay for a gate agent to take them to their next gate, only a hundred bucks, so no biggie, but I'm figuring it's a pretty good rate by the minute for the airline. (grin)

am thinking due to your description I'll find the experience much like I do rush hour traffic here in FBKS, it sucks and sucks big time until I go somewhere they really have traffic

still if I didn't have to due to family separation and wanting to share some of the rest of our country with my boys I'd never fly except bush flying.

makes me sad that my boys really don't have much conscious memory of how much more pleasant air travel used to be, but perhaps tis better that they are spared the comparisons I make.

I do long for the days without TSA (I'll take my chances with the unknown terroists rather than the known thank you) and when AK air was really something enjoy and be proud of.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean before AK Air had the TSA to try to out-do in securing the homeland? FWIW, I rather think rural-Ak did a pretty good job at preventing hi-jacking and so forth in the pre-TSA days. AK Air aside, I bleeped the metal detectors much more often in rural airports than I ever did in Anchorage or points outside. WiEn was a very safe airline to fly with - at least from a security standpoint. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting this, I'm flying up tomorrow, to Yakutat. Not much choice in carriers there. I guess they're only doing what every other AL is doing, but it helps to at least know these things ahead of time, saves getting pissed at the check-in counter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I am planning on going to alaska hunting and fishing next June (2010)I have been thinking of what to bring.. I rememebr years ago..you could bring lots and lots.. not anymore
Do yourself a favor, get to know someone in Alaska if you don't already and mail some of your gear up ahead of time. Will save the hassle of carrying all your gear and cut down on baggage fees.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The've definately slid far and fast. Got back from a down south trip this weekend on AK air. Suprisingly only one of the legs was late, of course it would be the Anc to Seattle leg where I had only a theoretical 1 hour layver, but by the time you get unloaded, it's a sprint from the end of the D to the end of the C concourse.

And dinging you with more fees, it was $860 r/t to Kalifornia from Anchortown, and all but on the flights was 100% full, so I don't buy it that they ain't making $.

It's almost to the point that the next time we take a trip outside, we'll drive instead of fly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I do long for the days without TSA (I'll take my chances with the unknown terroists rather than the known thank you) and when AK air was really something enjoy and be proud of.

Absolute agreement on both counts. I think Letting locally-known good citizens fly armed regularly would bring terrorism to a screeching halt a whole lot faster than TSA's savants looking through our baggage. And would save a vast amount of money and time at the same time.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 43 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,236
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.