Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, I did it. A group of friends had planned a trip to SA a while back and at the time, I wasn't able to go. My plans have changed and now I'm able to go and find myself scrambling to catch up.

We leave on the 4th for a 7 day hunt. I've got most everything ready, but that nagging feeling that I missed something won't go away. We check the rifles with Customs on monday and its a straight flight from Atlanta to Jburg so I'm not missing something there. Have the loads worked up, check. Clothes, boots, equipment, check.

What am I forgetting?

GB1

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Better start looking for traveler checks. We leave for a 10 day PG hunt in Namibia on Monday. I went to the bank about 2 weeks out and had trouble finding traveler's checks over $20. Banks don't carry a lot any more. You may not have that problem in a larger city.
2 days to go and going crazy.

REJ

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stop to worry. There is always something you have forgotten. You will think of it, first thing - on the plane. You will also learn, that you can do without it.

Both of you - I wish you great trips.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Letter of Invitation?
4457?
SAPS 520?
Copy of info page from passport?
Camera batteries?
Airline notified that you are traveling with sporting firearms?
D/P/T updated?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Call your credit card co. and tell them you are going overseas.You should have a PIN #,and if you want to get cash from ATM your set,if required.

I have used this for Rand for tip money in SA.

Given a little more time you can actually find companies with very favourable international rates.

Good hunting!

Dinsdale

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by REJ
Better start looking for traveler checks. We leave for a 10 day PG hunt in Namibia on Monday. I went to the bank about 2 weeks out and had trouble finding traveler's checks over $20. Banks don't carry a lot any more. You may not have that problem in a larger city.

REJ

REJ, I hope you do not plan to use travellers cheques in Namibia. Most shops/ outfitters are reluctant to take them, as they are a real hassle to clear, and actually get your money in the bank. It normally takes 6 weeks for us to clear it.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ph said he wanted to be paid in travelers checks. Not sure about shops are exchange at the banks. How safe is using credit cards?

REJ

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Credit cards are O.K. but you'll be charged a 3% transaction fee for any international purchases...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Karl ~ Whats the norm, cash? Not sure I wanted to carry a lot of $$$$.

REJ

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Actualy you touched on a good point.. I'm going on my 4th trip across.. I still don't have a real good method for carrying large sums of cash.. Figure it's not unusual to carry 10k. Any suggestions??

MM

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think it is better to wire the money for anticipated trophy fees/expenses than carry lots of cash or mess with travelers checks. In my limited experience they are hard to spend in certain countries.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Karl Stumpfe
Originally Posted by REJ

REJ

REJ, I hope you do not plan to use travellers cheques in Namibia. Most shops/ outfitters are reluctant to take them, as they are a real hassle to clear, and actually get your money in the bank. It normally takes 6 weeks for us to clear it.

I've been to Namibia twice. Never had problems with AMEX traveler's checks either time. YMMV

Take lots of film, and take pictures of everyhing.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've used travelers checks a few times, if you are in a hurry and want to save some money on a wad of them, get them at AAA believe it or not...they issue them for free if you are a member...membership costs $50 IIRC
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got cash 2000rand/day at bank machines at any large centre and took 2000 rand with for cabs and meals before atm found. My outfitter accepted credit card for final payment/tips etc and trophy fees. Hotels and Afton took credit cards. As stated previously, notify credit card companies now with dates you will be out of country

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by REJ
Karl ~ Whats the norm, cash? Not sure I wanted to carry a lot of $$$$.

REJ

REJ, cash is king, and a wire transfer a close second. Obviously, if you anticipate a lot of trophy fees, and you do not want to carry that amount of cash, then just orginize that someone/ your bank transfer the bulk of the outstanding trophy fees on your last day or so.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanD
Letter of Invitation?
4457?
SAPS 520?
Copy of info page from passport?
Camera batteries?
Airline notified that you are traveling with sporting firearms?
D/P/T updated?

Letter of Invite = Done
4457 = Done
Info Page = Done
Camera & Airline Notification = Done
My PH is telling me I don't need the SAPS 520, just the letter of invite......nervous about that

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I wore a money belt like those at Cabelas. I was able to fold and stuff $4k in the belt and carried another $4k in a pocket. I tried to pay as much up front as possible and was actually paid in full on the second half of the safari into Zimbabwe- I startd with a plains game hunt in SA.
In Zimbabwe no one was anxious to take travelers checks except the PH. Even the larger hotels in Victoria Falls had no change and I took several items from the gift shop in lieu of cash back.
I don't know of Namibia but next time I will be carrying small bills only and nothing in 50 or 100 denominations. I was just too much hassle.
Frank

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sprint11,

technically your PH is correct. You CAN get a 520 right at the SAPS office at JNB. That does not mean you SHOULD do it that way.

Do you want to spend a half hour or more filling out an 8-page form after an unGodly long flight? Do you want to wait behind other hunters who got to the small desk before you and are now filling out their forms while you wait for them to finish so you can fill out yours, and then wait again to get the thing all signed, sealed and delivered?

Fill it out before you get there. DO NOT sign it until the officer tells you to sign it. Having it done beforehand is SOOOOO much easier.

dand

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
DanD

Thanks for explaining that. Wasn't sure if it needed to be sent in or if it's to be done on the spot. Thanks again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
download and fill in appropriate sections, PM me and I will forward ssections if your oufitter has not done so. here is SAPS form

http://www.phasa.co.za/uploads/1137579810.pdf

I had it done and was taken ahead of the people who needed to fill it in even though I arrived after them

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.