Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Question: When listing a firearm (and showing photographs), is it best to hide portions of the serial number (00-000xxxx) and collector series number (225/500). I have heard the fear is that someone would see the number and report that gun as stolen. Having bill of sale through FFL enough for protection? Showing the first part of a serial number permits the buyer to "age" the piece. Are there other considerations that should be considered. Thought I'd ask the experts.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't show it just because normally there is no reason TO SHOW it unless it adds some value to the gun for a specific range etc...

I don't know if the report the gun as stolen has ever worked or not but why risk it when it takes 1 minute to black it out?

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Appreciate the feedback. My question was not just curiosity. I had a 10/22 listed on a site and had the last part of the serial number covered with tape. One viewer wrote me and asked, "Why is the serial number covered? Is the gun stolen?" I could reply "No", but made me wonder if I had done properly.

I have a collectors 629 with embossed mountain lion and series # xxx/500 that I'd like to list. I'll cover the number and if someone is looking for a particular series number, they can ask.

Thanks again.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was told by someone on the net that someone could claim that your firearm was one that was stolen from them. Don't know how that could be proved. Then again, with todays technology, anything is possible.

Dick
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The whole S/N is no one's businses amd needs not be be divulged. The first digits do indicate the year of manufacture and are rerelevant, but not the whole number.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lots of gun sites will reveal the entire serial number, if you notice. There is the "possibility" that someone COULD report your gun as stolen and then if a LEO ran your serial number, the LEO could seize it on probable cause until it got straightened out.

However, that's very remote. After 33 years in LE, I've never seen it happen. Anyone making a false report would be in far more serious trouble than someone in possession of a stolen gun, as false reporting is a serious felony with NCIC with federal prosecution implications. And their names would be known as the original reporter. Plus the only folks with access to the database are LEOs, so it's impossible to tell whether a gun is reported stolen merely by looking at the number.

So I don't think it's a problem, it's one of those possibilities that are very remote, but sound to lots of folks like common sense.

That having been said, I generally X out the last four or so just from habit and because they don't really give any more info than the first few do. Also, it's easier to remember three numbers than to remember the entire string of numbers.

Most people who buy guns know about the 123XXXX practice and would never assume a gun is stolen because you X out the numbers.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the guns ownership is questioned I can offer a sales receipt for any of them in my safe, whether bought from a FFL or private party. I`d wonder if the challenger could offer one with my signature on it to argue his claim.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, probably not. And unless you have a Patterson Colt, it's highly unlikely to draw a challenge.

I inventory my guns on a software program, which would be considered both of proor of ownership and of the date the gun was inventoried and therefore provenance. It's kinda like a copyright; if you've got an earlier date, you're going to win any court battle. Remember, any claim of anyone has to overcome the custody issue. If you have custody, anyone claiming it's not yours bears the burden of proof.

It's hard to beat that kind of record.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.