Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
for CM barreled actions???

i have a model 70 classic featherweight at the smith getting rebarreled. i'm having it blued in the short term, but will eventually look for a different finish...

leaning towards cerakote... would like some other options to consider...
please provide links if you're able.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I had a "Black T" teflon finish put on a Rem 700 about 10 years ago and it held up pretty well to some tough hunting conditions. I recenlty gave this rifle a make-over and replaced the finish with Cerakote instead. I've had two Rem 700s done in Cerakote now and have been very impressed with the finish as far as wear and rust resistance. Charley at CS Sports (http://www.riflestockpainting.com/) has done both of these rifles and does excellent work. He also has great communication with the customer and fast turn around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put Black Ice teflon on two muzzleloaders. It looks pretty good and has held up for 3-4 years. The toughest finish I have seen is on a older Remington 700KS mountain rifle. It is Parkerized, looks just OK, but is indestructable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Ruger 77R that I had teflon coated in 1991. It is not a very durable finish, especially on the action edges. However, it has been used hard.

When I refinish, I will search out someone in Alberta who Cerakotes.

No experience with Cerakote. Have heard of a finish called ROBAR?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd check out Ultra Gun Shield. It will allow ya to maintain your blue finish or whatever else you happen to be runnin' and will give you the protective properties of cerakote. Best part is you can apply it yourself. It's available right here in the Gear Shop.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've tried the cerramic coatings, and they are harder than the teflons IMO.

However, nothing compares to Balzer's WC/C. It's a PVD tungsten carbide/carbon coating.

[Linked Image]

It's about 2 microns thick, and looks like a dark, gray bluing job. It doesn't look like paint / coating at all.

[Linked Image]

It is about twice as expensive as the ceramics.

Unfortunately, it's worth every penny.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH Northwest Ted,CAS has done several rifles for me and Karl at kampfeldcustom also.I read or was told Cerakote is what Navy Seals use on their weapons,so if it's good enough for them it's dang sure good enough for me.
Stay away from Durakote,it wears and scratches easily.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
that's a sweet looking rig, new guy... i'm a sucker for octagon barreled bolt guns...
i do not recognize the action... what is it??? custom mauser???

as to the finish, i googled it... i'm not likely to send a rifle to europe for finishing... is there a facility in the central U.S.???
still leaning towards cerakote, but i'm interested...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Thanks John - It is a custom Mauser. It's is a copy of a small ring Mexican Mauser made out of Titanium.

You won't have to ship to Europe: Balzer's has several facilities here in the US. Contact Stuart Satterlee www.SatterleeArms.com . He can get it coated for you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No doubt about it! The QPQ finish is the hardest, toughest most wear resistant finish I know of. Tip Burns at www.burnsgunrepair.com does the finish It is alot like the finish that Glock puts on there handguns. It is not a spray on finish, it is a bath like bluing, looks like bluing but wears better than Cerakote or duracote or any of the spray-0n's.

Ed

IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's is a copy of a small ring Mexican Mauser made out of Titanium.
and an octo barrel... pure dee cool.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
i hit your link 505, but he's not taking any new work now... no matter, cause i'm a ways off from needing any thing done...

thanks to all for the info... i'm gonna mark this page for when the time comes...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by new_guy
Thanks John - It is a custom Mauser. It's is a copy of a small ring Mexican Mauser made out of Titanium.

Nice rifle.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My choice is the traditional slow rust blue, take a look at some of the 200 year old rifles at SCI and some of the larger gun shows..The blue looks new...I have had my rust blue guns in rain forest, and 30 below snow storms and they still look new..I wipe them off with an oily rat at the end of the day and thats about it. The main draw back is true slow rust blueing is terribly expensive.

I realize this may be blasphamy in some crowds! smile but hey get over it, you have options.:)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson
...I wipe them off with an oily rat at the end of the day and thats about it. The main draw back is true slow rust blueing is terribly expensive...

What do you wipe them off with if there are no politicians around? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
lodiman

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oily mouse for the bore?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I built a pair of rifles in the 70s and had them Parkerized (phosphated). They still look like they did when I got them except the bolts wearing surfaces are "worn in".

Cerakote has a lot better choice of color.

As Ray says rust blue takes the prize for beauty.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
i'm quite smitten by the looks of newguys custom mauser above with the balzer wc/c finish.
i sent an email off to satterlee's and asked what the price might be... the bottom line came to $976.00...
i'll probably go with cerakote..... still, that's a sweet looking rig he's got...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
John - $976 sounds way too high for the coating alone. Maybe it included polishing, assembly, etc... You might give them a call just to verbally confirm that the two of you are on the same page.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 82 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.