Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Now that I've got the alliteration out of the way...

I'm in need of a scope to perch atop a 700 Mtn Rifle in .30-'06. I know, I know... a real dog of a screwball cartridge, but what else would you expect from me.

I've got a Vortex 2-7x32 on the same model in 7x57 that I'm very pleased with. I also picked-up a Zeiss 4x32 from Doug during his lapse in judgement when he was giving 'em away. It's an exceptional scope that won't be coming off the Whelen it's now sitting on.

What others would you gentle members suggest? I'm guessing the various Leupolds will be well-represented: FXIII 6x42, FXII 4x32 & 6x36, VX3(or III) 2-8x36, 1.75-6, etc.

What else would be good to consider in the 36mm or less obective size, and < $350 range?

Thanks,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like we shop for the same items.....

I just got a FX-II 4x a few weeks ago. Great scope at a great price. And usually fixed power scopes are very durable and bombproof.

I've got a VX3 2.5-8 coming from the Custom Shop with the Post & Duplex reticle, hopefully in a few weeks.

The 1.75-6 was also a close runner for my choice.

My other choices would be the Conquest line in similar offerings. But you mentioned a Mountain rifle, so I'm assuming weight savings enters the picture. I really like the Conquests, but they do weigh more, and are more bulky.

Also, you still might want to search around for the VX-III clearance sales. When the VX3's came out, many places slashed prices on the VX-III's they had in stock. You could find the 2.5-8 or 1.75-6 for a nice price.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 04/24/09.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thw Weaver K4x38 and K6x38 are pretty sleek.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Soliciting Sleek Scope Suggestions

I like that. Too many modern scopes resemble side-draft carburetors.

Bruce

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
6x42: Leupold FX-III, Sightron SIIB
6x36: Leupold FX-II

Or, the Leuppie variables you listed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FC, I don't see a bad choice in bunch you have listed. My opinion would be for a lightweight rifle such as your using, buy something that your warm and fuzzy with and mount it up in some Talley Lightweights. I've been playing with a VX-II 2-7 with LR Dots for a few month's now and am still liking it.

Have Fun

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the Leup 6x36. If you want to go "old school" VLD Scope, the older steel tube Weavers (3x and 4x) could work.

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
An older Leupold 4x with the 28mm objective lens. It's lightweight (9oz.) and long enough to give you a lot of flexibility with mounting options and eye relief. IMO it works fine for hunting. I don't have any trouble using one with old eyes and bifocals.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Leupold M8, 3x scope. It's as sleek as sleek gets... grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Well, after chasing this one around a few times in my head (and on-line), I think I'm kind of back where I started.

I got out the 2 rifles with the Vortex & the Conquest, removed the bolts, & laid them one atop the other. 'Twas pretty easy, seeing as their both the same model. In this comparison, the Conquest didn't look nearly as much bigger as I'd always thought it was. I doubt I could tell the difference of � oz. more weight. Aesthetically and price-wise, they're very close. Optically, the Zeiss seems to have just a bit more "pop" to my eyes, but the Vortex is still awfully good.

I guess it comes down to whether I want the simplicity & durability of a Fixed 4X, or if I really value being able to crank it up to 7x.

Then again, if I do decide in favor of the variable, I'll probably have to check-out a Zeiss 2.5-8x32. The specs make it look pretty close in size/weight to the 4x32. Maybe I'll have Doug send me the Vortex and the Zeiss, & then I can choose which one stays, & which one goes.

Here I go again, making a Science Fair project out of it!

FC

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FC,

No scope is absolutely sleek stuck there up top of the rifle, but you can get relatively sleek as it were. I just got a new VX3 2.5-8X36 which makes me think that you can be SS with a VXIII in that size. There are still new units for sale, and of course a few used units.

Should make your price too.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Well, after chasing this one around a few times in my head (and on-line), I think I'm kind of back where I started.

I got out the 2 rifles with the Vortex & the Conquest, removed the bolts, & laid them one atop the other. 'Twas pretty easy, seeing as their both the same model. In this comparison, the Conquest didn't look nearly as much bigger as I'd always thought it was. I doubt I could tell the difference of � oz. more weight. Aesthetically and price-wise, they're very close. Optically, the Zeiss seems to have just a bit more "pop" to my eyes, but the Vortex is still awfully good.

I guess it comes down to whether I want the simplicity & durability of a Fixed 4X, or if I really value being able to crank it up to 7x.

Then again, if I do decide in favor of the variable, I'll probably have to check-out a Zeiss 2.5-8x32. The specs make it look pretty close in size/weight to the 4x32. Maybe I'll have Doug send me the Vortex and the Zeiss, & then I can choose which one stays, & which one goes.

Here I go again, making a Science Fair project out of it!

FC

FC, now your making sense....What feels like it works for you be it a BSA or USO scope. Go for it..

Have Fun

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I took the plunge today, and ordered another 4x32 Conquest from Doug. I figure I'll try it on the '06, and if I feel the rifle needs more optical oomph, I'll swap the Conquest with the 2-7 Viper on my 7x57. Either way, I win!

Thanks for all your input.

FC

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
FC:That 4X Zeiss is a nice scope. I like mine a lot...just like you,after I used it, I bought another.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
Soliciting Sleek Scope Suggestions

I like that. Too many modern scopes resemble side-draft carburetors.

Bruce

Dude!! Weber 45 DCOE's are freaking GORGEOUS!!!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you have the ring space for it, I'd say Leupy 4x, or 2x7 if you're into variables. If you need a little more tube, Leupy 6x36 fixed, or 2.5x8. Ziess' variable with the small bell (I can't remember, but it might be 2.5x8) may look sleek, but I doubt it is as light as the Leupolds.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a "sleek" scope, I can't think of one that fits the bill better than a Swarovski AV 3-9x36mm.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 21, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.