Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Need you help folks. this the situation have two friends
who want me to reload a bunch of 223. They will supply every thing
I will be providing my time aqnd equipment. One wants 500 rounds
and the other wants 1000 rounds. Don't want to rook them but
on the the other hand don't want to basically give it away
too cheaply. So what say yea for a fair and equable price.
Thanks campfire members

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have 'em pay you per hour whatever they make per hour. If one makes ten bucks per hour, for example, charge him ten bucks per hour. If the other makes twelve bucks per hour, charge him twelve bucks per hour. After all, they're asking you to do for them something that they (for whatever reasons) choose not to do for themselves.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
(And hope that they are staunch union men!)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Are you using a progressive reloader?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I quit reloading for others. It is a great way to lose friends and there are potential legal consequences. Just one is that ATF may consider you a manufacturer of ammunition.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I first loaded ammo for others years ago, there was no legal barrier.

Later, I got around the legal barrier by including the recipient in the process. (E g: he cleaned the brass, or he inspected and sorted it, or he primed it, or he seated bullets, etc.) I did only (and all) the rest, on my bench.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The suggested remuneration scheme is ingenious and -to me- delicious.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you charge by the hour or by the cartridge, you are legally a manufacturer of ammunition if I understand correctly.

You'll have to comply with BATFE procedures, be licensed, and pay a tax.

When my friends want reloads, I invite them over and we have a good social hour while they charge the loads and pull the handle on the press.

Our legal environment kinda sucks canal water.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, let's say you load up a bunch of rounds for your buds. They take them out and have a great day shooting until one of any number of unfortunate circumstances occurs. It may not be your fault or the fault of the ammo or of the reloading but their lawyer might say it is. (you buds wouldn't do to you right?) Do you really want to have to defend yourself in court or otherwise over some damn 223 ammo?

I don't reload for anyone but me and mine. I reload for my sons but that's it. I have had numerous friends (yes, I have some friends) want me to load something for them. I invite them to come over and have me teach them how to do it and then they can buy their own gear and crank'er up. I have only had one (1) person actually do this and he is now happily reloading his own ammo all the time.

The BATF would just love to stick it to a "Right Wing Extremist" manufacturing ammo in his basement, so keep everything aboveboard and protect yourself.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If you are worried about some legal issues that might occur, take care of that beforehand and have them sign an agreement that you are in no way responsible for any damages that may happen. If you don't want to be considered a manufacturer of ammo for sale, trade them for reloading supplies. Whatever they supply you to make 500 or 1000 rounds for them, have them give you the same to make 500 or 1000 rounds for yourself.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A waiver of liability only shows that the person waived their rights at the time they signed it. I used to have my hunters sign a waiver of liability before they could hunt. It means nothing. Lawyers are slick and they will find something and you will have to hire one and traipse back an forth to the courthouse for a year or two just to prove you weren't negligent in loading the ammo. As far as the barter thing goes. I believe there is a place on one of those 1040 forms that address these things. Be careful. It all sounds well and good but remember, you're discussing it in front of the whole world.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Good points Alan, I'm not a lawyer and I only handload for myself and immediate family, so I wasn't sure about the waiver. But this brings up a good point. What protects the ammunition makers if their ammo makes a gun blowup? Better lawyers?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Good points Alan, I'm not a lawyer and I only handload for myself and immediate family, so I wasn't sure about the waiver. But this brings up a good point. What protects the ammunition makers if their ammo makes a gun blowup? Better lawyers?

You cannot waive your rights under the law...such documents just try to scare people into not suing. Ammunition makers must have liability insurance...that's expensive enough to keep amateurs out of the business. And, of course, you're supposed to have an FFL to make & sell ammo.

You can also make liquor for yourself...would you try and sell it to someone else for profit?

Still doesn't keep the Walmart greeter and stock manager from buying up the entire weekly ammo shipment and doubling their money at the gun show...that's the kind of activity that keeps the antis in business trying to stop ma and pa sales and start registering our guns and ammo.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barter with them.
Have them do some auto mechanic work, carpentry, dirt excavation, painting... for ya,

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In today's litigious society, friends or not, I would let them load on your equipment. Reduces your legal issues with their lawyer and BATF.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LouisB
In today's litigious society, friends or not, I would let them load on your equipment. Reduces your legal issues with their lawyer and BATF.

Probably the best advise. Personally I don't reload for others.
Period. Never. NO EXCEPTIONS. Some one asks if they can get some ammo from me "Sorry shot up the last of that that I had last weekend. No idea when I will get aroung to loading some more." They eventually realize it is an excuss but it is also the only answer that they get. Evenually they quit asking.

And I also don't use other peoples reloads. Not even in their rifles. I don't like the liability factor either as a reloader or as a shooter. I got worse when I saw the display at a local gunshop of a few rifles and pistols that had been destroyed because of reloads where the "reloader" had made a mistake.

At the least, if your rifle gets destroyed because of my reloads I would owe you a new rifle. At the same time my rifle gets destroyed because of your reloads you get to buy me a new rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do the same thing... Load for my sons help others

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I load for many of my good friends but always have them perform much of the process. It is nice to have them over for an evening.

I had been preparing the cases prior to their arrival and having them throw charges and stuff bullets. Preparing cases isn't my favorite part of the process and I shared this. They pitched together and bought me a powered case trimmer and lately been asking about automated charge measuring equipment. It is nice to have good friends.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A lot of people ask to have us reload for them that is my brother and I. Our response is always the same. We would be happy to show you how, come on over and we will teach you, you don't have to pay us and we will walk you through everything, Just bring the supplies and the bench is yours.

I already spend countless hours reloading for myself and I enjoy it quite a bit but there is a lot of work that goes into it. I am pretty sure that if your buddies came over and started reloading for there selfs they would realize why you dont want to do it for them.

Just my 2 cents

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think a lot of good advice has already been given. While they may be good friends, and you trust them ... do you trust all their family members? ... or the ATF? Odds are, nothing wrong would ever happen. But if something crazy did, it's just not worth it. It's 2009, not 1940. Offer to teach them or steer them to a forum. All the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222ND, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,628
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.