Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Well friends, I leave for safari #1 in 104 days . Bag is for this trip from little to big is: jackal, baboon, impala, blesbok, oryx & lion.

If a 60" kudu steps out he's had it too

I'm going to RSA in 2010 with my 2 adult sons & wife for 10 days.

What should be my bag for safari number two?

A couple of things to bear in mind:

My wife wants a leopard.

She does not want me to shoot a zebra because " they are too much like a horse". I'm working on that one , telling her that comparing a zebra to a horse is like comparing a coyote to a dog.

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
GB1

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Remind her of the zebra rug. Did it for my wife about seven or eight zebra ago.

For the most fun you will ever have, hunt tuskless elephants in Zim. The best, most exciting hunt there is, bar none.

JPK

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You may want to check some of the threads on this site and AccurateReloading.com about South Africa's canned lion industry. I'm not saying your lion hunt will be staged with a pen-raised animal, just that hunters should realize how widespread the practice is in that country.

If I were on my first trip to South Africa, I'd skip the lion for now and spend my trophy fee funds on nyala, black wildebeest and some of the other antelopes that are found nowhere else.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a 60-inch kudu to come along. After 22 trips and six African countries, I've seen only one 60-incher on the hoof and a friend shot it. I wouldn't. Its spirals were too tight and the horns were close together. It was not a spectacular trophy. I've seen wide 50-inchers that seemed larger than his 60-incher.

A lion, leopard or a buffalo (or all three) in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique or another country could top your list for your second trip.

Incidentally, "oyx" is the common name of a family of antelopes found in southern and East Africa. "Gemsbok" are the oryx found in southern African.

Bill Quimby

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got Eland?????

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GEMSBOK!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K

Bill & the rest of of you friends,
I learned about the lion hunting there AFTER meeting Shakari Steve on AR...But since I've already paid for it and it gave me 4 of ten days free and my wife's whole 10 days free I'm going to do it anyway. Oh well, I'm not shooting a drugged one in a pen, I checked on this with the PH & owner, (they say that not everyone get their lion) & I'm not causing a shortage on wild lions....Flame on I guess. I'm not into awards and records....Just enjoying myself in a place I've wanted to hunt since I was 11 years old...I turn 52 tomorrow. It's the experience and a few drinks of Irish whiskey on a sundowner that I'm looking for.

I know about the oryx but it's shorter that typing gemsbok.

I'd like to do a cape buffalo & sable but they are very expensive there. Hippo on land sounds cool but there is not much of a trophy to bring home except the tusks and a couple of shambok whips. Warthog & red hartabeest are, (ugly like me).

Croc looks like a target shooting from what I've seen on TV. There's no PAC elephants there.

Keep the ideas coming and throw out a few for the wife. She's only taken a blacktail buck.

Many Thanks,

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you're serious about the "experience," stop worrying about the trophies you'll bring home and think about having fun.

Depending upon exactly the type of hunt you've signed up for, it may be that you can fill a shopping cart or you can have a good time. It's even possible to do both - but it's up to you.

Bushbuck is a good time and don't underestimate grilled wart hog.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Eland, blue wildebeest, another gemsbok, waterbuck (if there are good ones in the area you're hunting, nyala. I would also shoot a zebra, something I'll do if I have another chance to hunt RSA. I didn't on our first trip because it was one of the 2 animals my son had targeted on his list. BTW, although my wife felt about as yours does about the zebra before the trip, my son is having a tough time convincing her now that 'her' zebra rug is really his - after all he's the one who shot it and brought it home. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
KB, the way to spin the zebra to your wife is to tell her the truth - they make the very best leopard bait. They're also a rather tough and alert animal, horsey or not.

I can see not taking any of the wildebeests, but how can you consider not taking a warthog? Nothing says Africa like a warthog...it is a must-have trophy. Mine is rather pretty, in fact.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I took her to the local SCI B-B-Q at a members house with a 4000+ sq ft trophy museum. She saw the full body mounts and the rugs of all the different zebra. I think it will be OK now.

This guy had over 600 mounts including a full body giraffe & white rhino, a 70 pound per side ele. Many full body mounts of bongo, ibex, Lord derby eland....I could go on and on....He even had a T-rex head (as a joke). He had #2 in the WORLD warthog. WOW is all I can say. He's one of the few ever Roy Weatherby award winners!

Oh to be born rich instead of just so damned good looking whistle

Karamojo Bill

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EVERY safari should have a buffalo!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Karamojo Bill,

while the first trip will be like a first kiss, it only gets better. It isn't a bad idea to go on the second with a wish of one or two critters, particularly with PG. I do recommend that you don't spit in Lady Africa's eye, however, and let her guiding hand direct you into the trigger squeaze. You just never know what might show up around the bend, or over the next rise.

dand

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
DanD, I think that is becoming clear to me. I'll go & have a great time. Take extra scratch($$$) and shoot what appears to be good representive of the species no matter if a cape buffalo or diker.

Karamojo Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great advice.

I shot a nice springbok after a fairly long stalk. He got really jittery and I took the shot from 270 yards. He dropped right there. He was not big, just very proportional with a five inch wide side stripe. I was most pleased.

The next morning we came accross another springbok that was enormous with long curved in horns that looked like they may have been touching. He was only eighty yards, but I elected to not shoot, as the one I tool had a better feel of accomploshment.

Thirty minutes later we saw the kudu of my dreams, and after a thirty minute stalk, our ambush worked out with the kudu walking out at 110 yards sure he had lost us. I took him with a single shot
through the heart and was sure that stalk would stay in my mind for years. We saw the big springbok three more times, and we enjoyed watching him for probably an hour in total. Had I shot him I would not have got my kudu, so not taking the giant springbok was the right thing to do. Someone else will make him their trophy and have their memories to enjoy.
Randy

Last edited by medicman; 05/05/09.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I simply had to see some critters to know if I wanted to kill them.

Once I saw zebras, they were something I simply had to kill.

Eland was the same; in the photos, they seem like a big brahma bull ... in person, Hell Yeah, I just had to murder a big bull.

So far, I've killed a bunch of zebra stallions (eight, I believe) and one heck of a HUGE eland bull.

Actually, I've seen very few critters in Afrika that I would not kill. None, actually grin

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife wants a leopard.

Just tell her how much excitement it might be to have sex on a zebra rug.......she'll change her mind quick!!

So there ya have it.....your second safari should include an Eland, Gemsbok, Warthog, cape buffalo and seventeen zebras

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
vapo-- better to use a few impala, or bushbuck or springbok sew into a rug. Zebra gets more than a bit scratchy if you're going the wrong way;)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DanD
vapo-- better to use a few impala, or bushbuck or springbok sew into a rug. Zebra gets more than a bit scratchy if you're going the wrong way;)

This man knows whereof he speaks...
Doh!.... shocked
Did I just give up any family secrets?.... blush
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
it only takes once, if you're even lucky(?) enough to finish, to realize that zebra is not the way to gitRdone.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've learned something today....

Guess my Zebra rug will stay on the wall....

Dinsey

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.