-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking to get a rifle this summer, a heavy barrel 243. I would like to see a Browning A-bolt M1000 Eclipse in that caliber but it's not made frown.

I need help on what to buy, so far I have looked at a few.

Howa 1500 varmint supreme series

Remington 700 VLS and SPS varmint

Any others out there?

Last edited by Metsamies; 05/05/09.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go VLS if planning to use the factory stock, SPS-V if you are going to re-stock down the road. I put one in a McMillan a few months ago and it shoots well. Throating is favorable as well.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go VLS if planning to use the factory stock, SPS-V if you are going to re-stock down the road.

Ditto.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you bought a Howa barreled action(no stock)then you would have no choice but to order that McMillan -grin-.

I would be happy with either one of the Remington models.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
VLS is good to go right out of the box. I have one that will shoot less than MOA with anything you but down the barrel. AND, you should be able to find one for less than $700.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am pleased to see good words for the 700's. I have looked at the Ruger's and the the Savage 12 series, still unsure if I like them or not. I have thought of the Howa for a while as my father owns three with standard barrels and all shoot very very well. I am leaning towards the SPS-V and restocking, I would buy the VLS at a moments notice if that laminated stock was a thumbhole and had a 13.75" LOP. I also for some reason like the 26" barrel on the 700's, sure it's not nessecary but I like it. I am an absolute sucker for a nice laminate thumbhole and a heavy barrel. I was lookin' around today and came across the HS-Precision PST082 stock, I think I may end up with the SPS-V and that togeather. This would be me first synthetic stocked rifle, like I said a sucker for laminates.

[Linked Image]

Any more info and opinions would be much appreciated.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd go VLS if planning to use the factory stock, SPS-V if you are going to re-stock down the road. I put one in a McMillan a few months ago and it shoots well. Throating is favorable as well.

I feel stupid asking this as I don't know much about it, what is throating?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throating deals with how far the actual barrel rifling starts ahead of the case mouth. For instance, if a rifle has an extremely short throat, the bullets will need to be seated further into the case. A cartridge with a bullet loaded out long would not chamber in that rifle because the bullet would be ramming into the rifling as you try to close the bolt. On the other side of the coin, a long throat would mean that the rifling begins far out ahead of the case mouth and the bullets may have a substantial "jump" before they actually engage the rifling. Most folks feel that this is not generally conducive to good accuracy. What you are looking for is a throat length that will allow you to run the bullets you like at a length that will fit in your magazine while still being capable of engaging the lands (rifling) or at least getting close to engagement. Remington's typical M 700 243Win throats are pretty flexible.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info, I never really looked into it because I never had a problem with it. The sad part about this is I didn't know much about this and I do reaload quite often. If I understand correctly throating is a big help but not always needed. If you don't do alot of hand loading or if you can't find the right factory ammo that works well in that barrel throating would be a plus.

Last edited by Metsamies; 05/06/09.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Savage.

If you don't shoot .4" for five shots, I will be suprised.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Keep an eye on gunbroker.com and you'll see Sako l579s go by for reasonable money. They shoot OK.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone got a pic of that Sako

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Savage built a model 12BVSS in 243 up to a couple of years ago. I have one and it is a tack driver. Might get lucky and find one on gun broker or the likes.
dan

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rem700 "VS" .243rem barreled action in a PSS stock ... Leupy 3.5-10x40 w/ M1 elev. turret in talley lightweight rings ...

[Linked Image]

it works, and then some ...

-WGM-
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
NICE!

Looks like a large hole in that animal....and some people think a .243 is weak.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.