-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not to get between you guys, but you do see a fair number of .338's in the Oregon elk camps. My buddy Jerry uses one and has DRT'd two elk with it in recent years. I carry mine on the days I don't use my .325 WSM's.

Then again, you certainly see more '06's, 300 WM's, 7-mags, etc than you see .338's. I think it's the reputation they have as hard kickers (which I don't get, mine is a pussycat).

The .325 does dandy on elk, I am happy to report!

Anyway... don't want to hijack this... it's a comfort to me to use a lot of gun on elk. Even if all I'm getting is some meaningless comfort out of it.. for now, I'll take that and be happy. As I say, maybe later in life with more elk under my belt I'll be less "mad at 'em" and decide to see how lighter cartridges do.

Good hunting to all of you,

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Certain places call for certain cartridges. I've got no bones on that and the .338WM has no flies on it for elk hunting. Excellent cartridge? Yes. Gold standard? I'd have to say no. Even Wayne Van Zwoll has been polling hunters in his home state of Wash. for decades. And the .30-06 always stays at the top of the list.

For me, the .338 is out of my recoil tolerance. I'm sure I could learn to shoot one, but have no need. I've got a .300WM and its plenty. I do however, do 98% of my hunting with a .270.

Didn't mean to start a pissing match, but just couldn't leave this one alone.

Happy hunting fellas.

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know, the 300 WM seems to kick harder to me than a 338. It's sharper. My 338 anyway is more of a BIG push. My Sendero is 300 WM and even in that heavier rifle, it gets my attention.

But I hear you. To each their own. Certainly, if a 338 (or whatever) is out of a persons recoil tolerance then they'd be stupid to hunt one; they'd shoot poorly.

All this is makin' me want to go shoot my .338! It's been windy and rainy, but it seems to have broken now. Think I'll haul ass up to my long range spot and do some damage <g>!

Good hunting back atcha Kelk!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Lee24
If everything goes right, starting with getting close enough, the .260, 6.5x55 SE, and even a .223 Remington may kill an elk in its tracks.

Then again... things aren't always perfect.
Would your rather pass up an unethical shot because you are using a marginal cartridge?

I am not bashing the .260 Rem, just noting that, everything else being the same, a .30-06 or .45-70 at a reasonable range is a whole lot more of a sure bet.

If you are looking as shots being "ethical or unethical", then they are so regardless of choice of cartridge.

A larger cartridge will not make something unethical more ethical...atleast in my opinion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well... a 500+ yard shot on an elk with a .260 is probably unethical.

The same shot from my .338 isn't.

But in general, I agree with you CLB.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The larger Danish red stags weigh 650 to 700 pounds, which overlaps the smaller bull elk of North America.

I spent a month working in Seattle last year, drew an elk tag and got to do a little hunting. I did not see any bulls that were any larger than that. Having lived in Colorado as a boy, and worked in Wyoming one year, I have seen a few elk of all sizes.

But I am not the one who is trying to make a case for the .260 Remington being a jim dandy cartridge for members of the deer family which weigh between 350 (cows) to 1,000 lbs (largest bulls).

Some few people here have experience using the .260 Rem or 6.5x55 SE on elk. I would rather hear from them, than someone who just wants to play Internet Psychologist.

Lee,

Many people here have already told you they have used the .260/6.5x55 with very good results and there are thousands of people who do not post here who embrace this cartridge each season and fill there elk tags. While you might not be trying to "build a case" for the .260, you are certainly trying to dispell it without and sound reasoning or obvious first hand experience.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jeff,

I do agree that 500+ is a stretch for a .260 on Elk.

Point I'm emphasizing here is that it's Lee's attempt to tie morality to cartridge size has no validity. It's either you are going to touch the shot off or you are not. And if one is going to use the .260 in that case, the person probably ha enough experience to pull it off. I would hope.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A shot with a .22 Hornet or .260 Remington might be unethical, whereas the same shot with a .30-06 or .338 might not.

I have owned a .260 Rem, 6.5x55 and 6.5x54.

CLB,
Most of the posters here have confidence in their various 6.5s, but no experience in shooting elk or moose with them. Some brought up Sweden, which is why I replied that the .30-06 is more popular there, with the .308 close behind. If the closets weren't full of 6.5x55s, there wouldn't be any more of them bought new there than there are here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I spent a month working in Seattle last year, drew an elk tag and got to do a little hunting.

Lee,
You spent a Month in the State of Washington and drew and elk tag!

Do you know how difficult it is to draw an elk tag for even a resident? I have been putting in now for 12 years and still have not drawn.

Lee, What Game Unit did you draw for?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have killed animals a lot bigger than an elk with a .30-06 and a .22 LR.

Lee,

What animals have you killed larger than elk with the 22 LR?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SU35, you guys don't have over the counter Roosie tags?

Not getting in the middle of a fight, just curious.

We can buy them OTC here- though I'm not sure if that's true for a non-resident.

Now, whether a guy even WANTS an OTC Roosie tag is a whole other can of worms <g>....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have over the counter roosie and rocky mountain elk.

Lee said he drew a tag.

He had to put in for the tag. I'd like to know what unit he drew for.

There are no easy tags to draw here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The red stags in Denmark are as large as our smaller elk, like the Roosevelt.

Lee,

AGAIN.....for the third time.

Our smaller elk are the Rocky, not the Roosevelt as you statement says

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kelk
By the way, I wouldn't consider the .270 Winchester a 300-yard elk cartridge, either.. But then, I have never been in a hunting situation where I couldn't stalk to within 200 yards of any animal, unless there was a canyon or big water in between us.

As I have said before, if you are good enough to shoot the heart at 300 yards, then it isn't much of a hunting challenge to shoot game at 300 yards. If you aren't good enough, then you need to realize you are too challenged to be taking those shots.
300 yards is well within reach of a .270 for elk. Alot further in the right hands. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that far on the right opportunity. As for the .260, its every bit as good of an elk cartridge as the guys here have been saying. Gun writers or not, they have as much experience in the elk woods as anybody. This is a fact and people would be wise to listen to it.

Kelk,

+1000 on 1st hand experience from people here.

In my book, 1st hand trumps all hypotheticals. Plus shooting game in the heart at 300 yds is always a great challenge no matter how often you have done it. Even more rewarding if you can do it on command at that range....

LEE, take this as a basic clue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
Coyote Hunter I can tell you up close and personal like, that a moose is twice as easy to put on the ground as a mature bull elk. Moose just are not that hard to kill and drop with a decent bullet and well placed shot. They may take a little more time to fall over than a deer but they will do so in less than 3 to 5 minutes.

I have yet to see an elk take 3-5 minutes to go down. 40 yards max on those I have shot, and only 2 made it that far. Total time in seconds, not minutes. But the largest I have shot is a 6x6.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where's Lee?

Maybe he's looking up the WA State Fish and Game site to figure out where he drew a tag from.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, I wouldn't consider the .270 Winchester a 300-yard elk cartridge, either.. ...

I believe you were quoting Boddington on the previous page. Boddington never thought much of the .270 Win as an elk cartridge either - until he took one at over 400 yards with the .270.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by laker
My girlfriend is guna use her 260 for elk this year. what do u think would be the best bullet for her to use? i handload so my options are unlimited.

I don't know what the best one is,and I've never used a 260 to kill an elk,but an educated guess is that a 125 or 140 Nosler Partition is not gonna do an elk any good......likely, it'll kill'em.

No doubt,there are others as effective.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

CLB,
Most of the posters here have confidence in their various 6.5s, but no experience in shooting elk or moose with them. Some brought up Sweden, which is why I replied that the .30-06 is more popular there, with the .308 close behind.

Actually, while the .30-06 leads with the 6.5mmx55 a close second, the .308 Win is a distant 3rd, not �close behind� as you claim. Unless you consider about 50% as �close�.

If the closets weren't full of 6.5x55s, there wouldn't be any more of them bought new there than there are here.

Your argument is a red herring and irrelevant. The fact is the 6.5mmx55 continues to be very popular. And it works very well on Swedish moose, as the statistics clearly show.

Hey - aren't you the guy that claims to have invented the Internet, designed the Space Shuttle, and engineered green grass and blue skies or some such? I think SU35 has you pegged pretty well.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

CLB,
Most of the posters here have confidence in their various 6.5s, but no experience in shooting elk or moose with them. Some brought up Sweden, which is why I replied that the .30-06 is more popular there, with the .308 close behind.

Actually, while the .30-06 leads with the 6.5mmx55 a close second, the .308 Win is a distant 3rd, not �close behind� as you claim. Unless you consider about 50% as �close�.

If the closets weren't full of 6.5x55s, there wouldn't be any more of them bought new there than there are here.

Your argument is a red herring and irrelevant. The fact is the 6.5mmx55 continues to be very popular. And it works very well on Swedish moose, as the statistics clearly show.

Hey - aren't you the guy that claims to have invented the Internet, designed the Space Shuttle, and engineered green grass and blue skies or some such? I think SU35 has you pegged pretty well.

I bet his perfect rifle for elk hunting would be a South Carolina stamped, Mod. 70 chambered in .375.....................

Shut up and hunt!
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.