Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The longer I live, the more I hate compromises. Sometimes compromise is necessary, but generally I feel multipurpose means a tool does several things adequately/poorly. No one in their right mind would work on a car with a Leatherman if they have access to a good set of tools. That is the way I currently view hunting packs. I have used a J104 for two recent week long pack trips in CO. I generally pack into an area, establish base camp, and then hunt from that camp for a few days. The J104 does not handle the heavy weight very well, and really is too big a day pack; so it does accomplish both tasks but only adequately. I understand there is a great following for MR and Kifaru etc, but I still view these compromises and cannot justify the expense.

I got an Eberlstock X2 (~4.5 lbs) daypack for hunting here in Ohio and love the thing. It is a day pack, and excels as a day pack. External pack frames like the old Dana�s and Cabela�s Alaskan Guide Model will excel at carrying heavy loads. I am thinking of just filling my X2 with my hunting gear and loading it and the rest of camp on an external frame. I can then set up camp and happily hunt with my day pack. My hunting should be much more comfortably and effective with a smaller and 3 lbs lighter pack. Does anyone else hunt this way?

The one big negative I see is the Alaskan frame plus X2 will mean my whole �pack� will initially gain about 2 lbs over my current J104 (7.5 lbs), but I will really only be using this to pack into/out of camp. This system would not be ideal for those that hunt with their camp on their back, but It makes sense to me for my elk hunting methods. I would love to hear some feedback from those more experienced than I.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually to use your working on a car with a tool chest of tool vs. leatherman anology it'd say this.

Just as its better to have more than one tool that kinda does it all its better to have multiple tools designed for each specific task. So if you are just scouting for a few days you more than liking can get away with a 3000 cu in or less pack that can way less that 3-4 lbs. Day hunting than a smaller Eberlestock, Badlands, MR Crewcabs or the like may work better for that application. Week long treks carrying your camp on your back the whole time and along with meat possibly on the way out a Mystery Ranch larger packs, Kifaru, Barney's, or large name brand packs such as Arcteryx Boras & Osprey Aragons might better suit this purpose.

However, just like a tool chest vs. a leatherman all those tools just like all those packs usually cost a good deal more $$$ than just one pack or leatherman.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
In general, what I've found is that a hunting pack must be able to handle more weight than what most day packs handle well. Even the smaller ones. Besides a kill, or part of one, we carry heavy stuff like binoculars, spotting scopes and things we need to dress out a kill.
For what you are doing, back packing in, setting up camp and then hunting from that camp, you have a few decisions to make. Comproimises if you will. Do you cut back on your camp to the barest minimum and carry just that in a smaller pack or do you carry more of a camp and have to carry either a smaller day pack or put up with the larger, heavier and more awkward to use back packing pack.
Alot, of course, depends on the weather and what you insist on having for a camp.
My expereince has been that I need to be very mobile. When I back pack hunt, I'm only in there for no longer than three days. I may, or may not, camp in the same place depending on what I find there.
I've found that while wilderness areas are often very atractive, they may have very little game in them. Or just very little game in that particular drainage. Scouting the area in the summer may not have the same animals in it in the fall.
That's happend to me too often to count. So, the first thing I do is some hunts involving some long hikes into it to discover if there is any game in it. After that, an over night or a three day hunt may be indicated. E

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I run into similar problems but I have found that I could only develop a perfect pack system if I always hunted the same way and that doesn't happen.

I am leaving next week for a hike-in spring bear hunt using a bow. I'll be using my only hunting pack, the J105. Because it's too big for my day hunting I am carrying in a day pack. For this hunting I'd rather have my old Kifaru pack which handles heavy loads better. But if I was rifle hunting I'd want a big day pack that could haul meat and there I'd use the 105.

Point being, if I had many packs I could pick and chose what would work best for varying conditions.

Most guys here rifle hunt, I think, and I don't see how the Kifaru LH, for example, would be a compromise pack for that? You can carry in a big camp, strip off the bag, and strap onto the frame any bag or sack that you want and go hunting. Then use the frame to carry meat back to camp.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I usually go in for 7 to 8 days with about 55-60lbs total(pack, food, weapon, everything). I'm 6'2 210 and pretty fit.

Funny thing about the 2-3 day hunts. I usually have just as much gear just a little less food blush I do like a "luxurious" camp. If I'm not reasonably comfortable, I'm generally not enjoying myself. Call me a wuss.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Kifaru Late Season and a Long Hunter. I do not feel compromised or over or under gunned. At 4-lbs for a pack that folds to nothing and carries a 100-lbs I love it. I had the J104, 105and although it was well thought out I would not want a 100-lbs on my back with it! Badlands are junk or my experience. The MR was bomb proof, but on my shoulders, but will carry the world if you can fit it to your body. I have a small camelback that is great and fits a bladder that woul be my advice if strapping it on a big pack. I think we are all just gear whores!

Good Shooting!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I bought and tried a couple of hunting specific packs, compared to the packs I used before they fell far short. This was a few years ago and I suspect there has been a lot of catching up done.

If it fits I can't see why anyone would want anything different from the Granite Gear Flatbed and a few different sizes of Sea to Summit drybags. Decent weight, good suspension and load lifter straps for your shoulders.

Last edited by olypen; 05/09/09.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I use an 18 year old Lowe Alpine that has been sewed up twice. It has halued 100 lbs loads of climbing gear and elk numerous times all over the world. It works mainly because the suspension is beefy and it fits my body well. Greg Lowe was about my size 6'3" - 225 lbs. It carries heavly loads for me because it was made well and sized to fit me. As far as it being a "hunting pack" or "climbing pack" I think that's more marketing and camo. I am confident that no elk ever saw me because of a blue pack. Do the research to find out who has a good reputation (i.e. MR, Kifaru) then shop the models that fit you. Try it on with 3 different loads (35, 55, 85) and see how it feels. Wear it in the store for an hour. Comfort in carrying the loads that YOU intend carry counts for more than these opinions. If you plan on spending the money these packs cost, it is worth it to take the time. I also have an ultralight bivy pack that is a small enduroflex external frame with beefy suspension I bought aftermarket. I sewed a waterproof Euro style alpine pack out of ripstop camo. I have hualed 100 lbs on it as well. It weighs 2.5 lbs., not the average 8+ that most of these high end packs start out at. If how much you carry is a factor look at the starting weight of a pack. 30 lbs of supplies, which is easy to reach quick, is immediately a 40 lbs. pack.

"Never get out of the boat"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last fall I used a Badlands 2200 and Cabelas external in the manner you are proposing. The gear that did not fit in the 2200 went into another compression sack. I liked the set up and will be using it again.

I backpack hunt frequently. I have found most "hunting packs" seriously lacking and/or severely over-priced.

I have a short torso and the lack of extensive sizes/adjustments limits proper fit in many "hunting packs" for myself. Proper fit is essential when hauling heavy loads. I also am not fond of external frame packs. I hunt western Montana, which is steep and rugged. External frames are fine when on a trail but when off trail the weight is away from your body which makes it harder to balance. When climbing through deadfall, I have found external frame packs to be downright dangerous.

I currently own two "hunting packs". The Wilderness Collapsible Pack from Nimrod Packs and the Western from Blacks Creek Packs. These two are both nice, comfortable packs at reasonable prices. I would recommend both of these packs for backcountry hunting. I would and do keep one of the following packs available for hauling meat, though.

My go to packs when hauling a serious load are my Gregory Robson Pro and Gregory Shasta. These Gregory packs haul a large load better than any packs I have tried and that includes Kifaru, at a fraction of the price of Kifaru. I also use these packs for extended backcountry trips.

Unfortunately, I have had several issues with Badlands Packs. Their customer service has been very acceptable, though.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Having searched heavily into packs � which is how I actually found this place � I've come to find out from responses all over the Net and from people I know outside of the Net, there is no one pack just as there is no one firearm. Eventually you find packs that do specific things well and use them for those things, and for situations where you pack in camp and hunt, you'll likely develop a system. Using an internal frame pack for camp and to haul out an initial quarter back to the truck, and then bringing an external frame pack back in for the rest, seems to be a popular method for those like me that prefer internal frame packs for holding gear, but find the ability to tie awkwardly shaped chunks of carcass to it not quite as simple as an external frame. It seems many have developed other systems.

Ultimately, I think you'll find you'll end up with a whole arsenal of backpacks like some of these guys in here, just like we all have different rifles and shotguns for different tasks, or like I have different soccer cleats for different conditions (for the uninitiated, they come in hard-ground, firm-ground, soft-ground, turf [for artificial turf], and indoor [for hardwood floors]).

I'd say you need to narrow down what you need the pack to do and then look to find packs that come close to those features, while also checking fit.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
uh did someone call for a gear head?

I've paired stuff down, but currently in the stable I have a Barney's, a MR G6500 on NICE frame with load sling and crewcab setup, a McHale SARC and still a venerable old CT that has been welded back together.

have a few daypacks the best being an old Eagle Creek that is no longer made. I set up one daypack for summer use, one for winter use and just grab them when I go. the summer one is on the boat now.

I'm curious to see what I pick when it's time to sheep hunt. Training is ongoing and the McHale just arrived. Got a feeling the boy may be using it, but noticed the abscence of load lifters on it right away, but empty it hugs the back well, yet to see how it performs loaded, but it seems to fit him well. Tks to Terry Marcum I picked it up here.

MR released an instructional video yet?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, I am starting to accumulate packs. Up to five now with the Cabela�s Alaskan Guide frame on the way. If nothing else, I can use this to haul meat, chainsaws, or whatever into wherever grin

No offence meant to any manufacturers, but I still find the price of some brands hard to swallow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
with you on the price of some packs, but I get it.

you can pay Americans a decent wage and use really good materials and design and come up with a pretty good product consistently.

or you can design something, spec out materials to be used and outsource it to China or Vietnam, and once in awhile it comes out pretty decent though I'm sure those little fuggers wonder what all the fuss is about backpacks and why we don't carry our chit on our head like the rest of the world.

handbuilt quality always costs

I'm just glad I'm into backpacking instead of cars, the price disparity between Rolls Royce and Chevy caprice is even worse from what I hear.

wish I'd bought my MR and McHale for $100 bucks new and bought my NULA for $700.

but I didn't I bought all of them used for more money than a slew of other competing comparable brands.

I don't miss the loot one iota. Twas money well spent imo.

and for my gear, my opinion is the only one that counts. YMMV

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plus one million!!! Money well spent!!

Its nice to see companies like Mystery Ranch, Kafaru, and McHale building quality in the united states. Every time I go into MR that place is stuffed with guys and gals working there butt off. The best part is they are all happy and employed. With the construction boom dieing down here its nice to see a company still hiring. I have many friends that are out of work right now and it sucks for sure.

I cant wait to get my USA made stimulus rifle finished (Borden Action, Mcmillan stock, Lilja Barrel) smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I will always buy here if I can! It is getting hard to find them and now adays you can not afford not to buy here! My Kifaru's were and are money well spent!!!!!

Good Shooting!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've been to the Kifaru shop in Golden. Quality folks makin' quality packs. Since I couldn't afford to buy a pack made here, I did the next best thing and made my own pack here! You'd be surprized what you can do. Mine is lightweight and goin' on it's 5th year!

"Never get out of the boat"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kifaru for me also...but, i prefer the military line over the hunting line personally.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My daughter recently purchased a MR Big Sky. I don't know if it would be considered a "hunting pack" but it's a great piece of gear and would work well as a large day or overnighter hunt pack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big Sky is an awesome hunting pack. It even comes in Multi Cam smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.