Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A tag should be punched for a wounded animal and is required in some situations.

Don't understand the 'reintroduction' aspect of it. Hell, if they do manage to do the Jurassic park skeeter trick the fruitloops in NY and CA would want T-Rex reintroduced in Montana.

grin Lets do it!!! Game on!!! For the wingshooters...pterodactyls.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
A tag should be punched for a wounded animal and is required in some situations.

Don't understand the 'reintroduction' aspect of it. Hell, if they do manage to do the Jurassic park skeeter trick the fruitloops in NY and CA would want T-Rex reintroduced in Montana.

grin Lets do it!!! Game on!!! For the wingshooters...pterodactyls.

Nahhh. I think Tyrannosaurs should be re-introduced into Central Park first and then USC Berzerkely next. Sabretooths into L.A.and Chicago. Wolves into every wealthy subdivision. grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Predators rarely kill more than they can eat--usually they do't kill enough to eat--or barely enough.

Which is why it's notable when predators kill more than they can obviously eat

Casey

Totally not true a Neighbor of a friend in Montana had 11 wolves kill 33 sheep on his ranch. They ate three. The next day when the pack was taken out they had killed 25 more sheep on the adjoining ranch.

Which is why it's notable in it's rarity.

Remember, there are millions of cattle and sheep in the Rockies. There are tens of thousands of large predators.

Those livestock and predators come into contact with one another hundreds, maybe thousands, of times each day. And yet, the combined number of large predators killing sheep and cattle amount to a tiny, tiny fraction of the number of contacts between predators and livestock.

You got a equal chance of being broadsided at the intersection going to the store for a gallon of milk......

Casey

LOL just do a search on Montana wolf kills and you see it isn't fractional. Wolves kill for fun and way more than the need to eat. Anyone would has any intelligence or isn't a tree hugger knows that and admits it. You've been beating the bushes around here to support your Rocky Mountain Wolf Foundations agenda for over a year now. People in the know can see it for the BS it is. So go off into the corner and stroke your ego or what ever.

Heres another example numb nuts.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 05/09/09.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wasn't in favor of the wolf reintroduction and I favor controlling wolves, but what does "Wolves kill for fun" have to do with it? Wolves are supposed to have a moral standard? If we're going to have them, it's part of the way it is.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
What is the best caliber for wolf?

Whatever's close cool

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

LOL just do a search on Montana wolf kills and you see it isn't fractional. Wolves kill for fun and way more than the need to eat. Anyone would has any intelligence or isn't a tree hugger knows that and admits it. You've been beating the bushes around here to support your Rocky Mountain Wolf Foundations agenda for over a year now. People in the know can see it for the BS it is. So go off into the corner and stroke your ego or what ever.

Heres another example numb nuts.

A juvenile brain creates juvenile name calling--a trait that really helps your credibility.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Learning to google from JO?

Nothing like guessing I guess

The first time I posted that link at the Campfire was in October 2003. I could google it for ya...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of name calling, you referred to me as "silly" because I don't agree with you. You sorta remind me of the kindergartners and first graders that I work with. Grow up.

Sad thing about this whole wolf thing is that the only people that have or ever will benefit from all the taxpayer money that has been wasted on this "project" are the brave government employees that have made such great sacrifices to preserve the regal wolf. How does this make any sense? The states that have wolf populations should hold a hunting season and benefit from the hunter license fees that will be collected. Wolves are not easy to hunt as they are very smart and quickly learn to stay away from people. It really is sad that a rancher cannot legally kill wolves that are killing his animals. There are other ways, though, to get rid of them and it probably will get started very soon. Hope so.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think since they were forced upon us, EVERY major city and park should have several...along with a couple hundred sod rats. I also think they should make NYC, Chicago and LA wilderness areas.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These guys are right about where I figure they should be:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Them hides ain't from German shepherds, either.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

F
F
BigBuck215, what other ways? Id be interested in why you just cant go hunt them with a gun or even a bow if your good smile If any animal kills a cow or calf on my farm, it does get hunted until its dead, nobody needs to know nothing. We dont have wolves here in WV but plenty of Coyote large cats ect.. Its open season on varmits in WV, you can actually hunt Coyote with a light until July here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the problem out here and in Wyoming and Idaho is that the penalty for killing a wolf is probably more severe than for killing a man. You can see from what is on this thread that there are a few around here, such as Alpinecrick or whatever, that would do anything they possibly can to help get a man convicted for defending his own livestock or perhaps his dog. So I have heard of snares being set in wolf country by some guys that are very good at what they do even though I do not know that for sure.

Others have sacrificed some dogs with mange and the other dog disease that is on about the same order as mange and I cannot think of what it is. More deadly than mange, I'm told. They know that the dog is going to die so the idea is to let the wolves tear it up therefore transmitting the sickness to the deserving wolves. Distemper. That's what it is. Supposed to be very effective and cheap. Not much chance of getting caught, either.

These are the rumors that are circulating around and very well might happen as ranchers and hunters, for the most part, are sick and tired of not being able to legally defend their own livestock. Hope it works although I would love to see open season declared. Not gonna happen, though.

F
F
I hear ya, some have tried the snares around here but most quite after catching dogs deer and other harmless animals, even checking them daily creates problems, Ive never been a fan myself. The spreading of a disease sounds like the easy way out but I still think a bullet and a closed mouth is better smile Be aware of transmitters and tags etc, Ive heard some stories about dead carcases being evidents, IF Found. We have to defend are farmland and take care of are almost helpless animals and pets. Ammo is still fairly inexpensive smile 20+ sheep - I wouldnt stop hunting!! Goodluck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I don't like the snare idea. Hope things work out without using them. Gyess that is a last resort.

Bullets work, so I'm told.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
These are the rumors that are circulating around and very well might happen as ranchers and hunters, for the most part, are sick and tired of not being able to legally defend their own livestock.

Idaho Wolf Management - Current Status

Simply put, the law says wolves molesting or attacking livestock or domestic animals may be disposed of by livestock or domestic animal owners, their employees, agents and animal damage control personnel. No permit from Fish and Game is necessary.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Around here in east central MN the wolves tend to get mange from the coyotes that they kill at every opportunity. We have had wolves regularly around here now for several years and it's not uncommon to watch them doing their thing. A couple years ago I happened to watch one take down a 2 year old buck eating on a field. It was on a pretty windy day and the deer didn't know what hit it. It ate the front shoulder and never came back. For several years now any litters raised in the area will nearly always kill some livestock and the DNR moves in and traps and kills as many as they can, often from 4 to 7 and some more will move in after a few months. They are interesting and either not as intelligent as some say or are tolerant to some degree as the bear around here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyotes like lambs as well as wolves do, and have no problems killing them either -- of course that don't make the news. I gotta wonder why nobody thinks they need to watch their livestock anymore.

I'd have no problems shooting a wolf or a coyote if it was after my stock. I just wouldn't tell anybody if it were a wolf. I sure wouldn't be bragging about losing 23 lambs while I was home watching tv. You have to be in the vicinity to get the job done though.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
isn't it weird how wolves still get into our heads like no other animal? maybe its all the fairy tale stories....

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
isn't it weird how wolves still get into our heads like no other animal? maybe its all the fairy tale stories....

...and plenty of those on this thread. wink

I think a lot of it is where you were raised. Wolves and black bears don't bother me, but when I was on your turf I kept worrying about alligators and poisonous snakes. I don't know how you Southern folk sleep at night...

Robert Frost
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,196
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.