Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
What are African elephant tusks worth?

Yeah, I know it's illegal to sell 'em. But wht if you want to give them to a museum? What's the charitable deduction (assuming it's legal to take one)? What if you have two kids and tell them, "I'll give the tusks to one of you and my rifles to the other?" Should you insure them? For what? And why, as you can't buy new ones with the proceeds.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Depends on the size, a big set of tusks (say 70 lbs and up ) will bring up to $15,000 or more if you can find the right buyer, there are buyers out there I guess as some folks have sold big tusks for big bucks. Junk Ivory ( pieces ) was bringing $40 a pound last time I checked and its used for pistol grips and knife handles and the age will change the value as the older stressed Ivory and the outside scale ivory brings a premium..

I would think you could insure the Ivory for at least the cost of your hunt, as you could say that is the only way to replace it.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Indy, i will tell Rory you are thinking of selling that hard earned tusks!! (Joke)
Last I heard ivory went for about ZAR 500/ kg. Anyways, that is what knife makes can buy if for apparently. I think the last auction it sold for average US$ 100/ kg.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Hey, Karl, don't tell Rory that (grin). It was just idle curiosity!

Matter of fact, I was thinking of just maybe seeing if Rory and I could get another in 2010. I almost went cat hunting with his boss in 2009 but it looked like my savings and business were going in the dumpers. Now they've stabilized a little. Not sure if I wouldn't prefer stalking up on another of those big gray things to waiting motionless in a blind.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Indy, you will have a blast hunting the long nosed pigs with Rory again. As far as I know, his boss retired and sold the company.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Jeff Broom retired but Russ Broom was running the company several months ago.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
but Russ Broom was running the company several months ago

Indy, Russ sold the company, and retired from active hunting as far as I know.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
What are African elephant tusks worth?

Yeah, I know it's illegal to sell 'em. But wht if you want to give them to a museum? What's the charitable deduction (assuming it's legal to take one)? What if you have two kids and tell them, "I'll give the tusks to one of you and my rifles to the other?" Should you insure them? For what? And why, as you can't buy new ones with the proceeds.

It is not illegal to sell Ivory.It is not legal to Import un documented Ivory.

Last edited by Huntz; 05/14/09.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually get it in the three bar pack for about $1.99.

NRA Lifetime Member
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In Zim, in 2004, I was told my ivory could be sold there for about $300.USD a lb. This ivory was very symetrical, without any wear grooves in the working tusk and went about 60lbs a side.

Whether it is legal to sell sport-hunted trophy ivory or not, depends on the latest regs. When I filled out my CITES application, it stated the ivory could be exported to the USA, and could never leave the country or be sold.

Later, a Federal Customs agent, said that they could inspect the ivory and authorize exportation to another country provided that I intended to live in that country.

Anyone, know the latest?

BH

PS. I also saw some ivory in Jonas Bros, that weighed 138 and 143 lbs. The manager, at that time, said it was worth about $250,000.00. BTW the working tusk was worn pretty good and it was the one that weighed 138 lbs.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,817
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.