Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Faith alone isn't good enough for some who apparantly require "proof" and an amen chorus.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Roman choose Christianity for politics.

Christianity started out being persecuted and had no political backing unlike paganism. It was only offically embraced by Rome after Christian apologists had succinctly shown that paganism was nothing more than manmade mythology. Your political argument fails.

Christianity was mostly in the big cities not in the rural areas. The rural people were referred to as pagans.

When paganism had the political backing again under Julian, he could not induce the country to go back to paganism even when he used various measures to suppress Christianity. Again your political argument fails. Paganism by this time was recognized for what it was--barbarism, superstition, and mythology.

Christianity had to become paganized once it reached northern Europe in order for Christianity to succeed. Of Course, it didn't hurt any that Christianity had brute force on it's side. Ever hear of 'conversion by sword'? A very popular method of converting Pagans to Christianity.

The extent of Rome's empire was established by the sword while it was still pagan. Any argument used with regard to political power or the sword indicts paganism more than Christianity, as all of the old world empires were pagan and advanced their brand of paganism through conquest.
I agree that when Christianity became established it paganized to a degree with regard to observance of some holidays and some practices. However the fundamentals of true Christianity have always stood on the merits of its own strength from God whether it was persecuted, established, promoted, or tolerated. It has always spread under all these varying conditions unlike paganism which largely died as soon as it was no longer nationally established or protected by the sword.

You know one of the most amazing things about the Bible is how when talking about the Bible nobody really knows what they other guy is saying. When I was corresponding by letter with a Jehovah Witness he would give me a Bible quote and when I looked it up in my Bible it didn't seem to be the same quote. I would give him a quote and he didn't really know what I was talking about. It finally occurred to me that if we were going to keep corresponding I would need a copy of his Bible so that we could be on the same plain. The point of all this is that there are so many Bibles out in so many different translations that the Bible is meaningless and irrelevant. No offense intended but the Bible is useless as far as I'm concern. Bible quotes to me, for the most part, fall on deaf ears.

See Blaine's post.

Additionally I would point out that this argument is nothing but blather. All of the NT was written by the death of the last apostle. The entire NT can be largely constructed from the writings of the early church outside of the manuscripts. Most of it was quoted by men who personally knew the apostles. If you cannot find the truth of God's Word in America, its because you do not want it, or choose to be confused. There are more manuscripts of the NT than any other ancient book (5200), plus early translations and citations from early Christian writers.

You will never find the truth unless you first believe that truth can be found.

For the most part Thunderstick your post is crap. Go buy a history book on ancient history. Better yet take a college course or two.

I'm out of here you can't have a discussion with a ignoramus.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were I making the case that Christianity wasn't correct I would be refuting the post rather than take my ball and running. wink

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Were I making the case that Christianity wasn't correct I would be refuting the post rather than take my ball and running. wink

I would but you can't with some one who knows nothing about ancient history nor wants to learn because to do so would mean admitting that maybe your religion isn't perfect.

Look I don't know everything either but I willing to learn what I don't know. The Roman Catholic version of Christianity, which was the offical version until the reformation of the 1500's, was one ruthless religion. I subscribed to Christian History magazine for a number of years and they did not white wash Christianity when it was wrong. Christianity is nothing without people and sometimes people do bad things. That's just the way it is.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I never said I promoted the Roman Catholic version of Christianity, in fact I clearly stated on the Paganism thread (that I started) that the dissenting churches were also persecuted during the Middle Ages. However that does not change the facts when comparing paganism versus Roman Catholicism on the topic of this thread.

This is just another attempt to move the focus off the main point of the thread which is:
Is there evidence that Jesus was a man of history who died and rose again?

On that point all understandings of Christianity stand together.

IC B2

X
X
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by teal

I would but you can't with some one who knows nothing about ancient history nor wants to learn because to do so would mean admitting that maybe your religion isn't perfect.

Look I don't know everything either but I willing to learn what I don't know. The Roman Catholic version of Christianity, which was the offical version until the reformation of the 1500's, was one ruthless religion. I subscribed to Christian History magazine for a number of years and they did not white wash Christianity when it was wrong. Christianity is nothing without people and sometimes people do bad things. That's just the way it is.

The McChristianity of today doesn't want to admit this with its Happy Meal of Quick Salvation (ie believe and Jesus and even if you're a triple murderer you'll go to heaven, but the atheist grandma won't). 12 years of Catholic school and 12 years of Protestant Congregationalist Sunday school spelled out a few contradictions to me. If no one believed in Jesus, would Jesus still exist? If one sect of Christianity ceases to exist, does that version of God stop existing too? If God wants to talk to us so badly, why doesn't he create a forum on the internet or get a cell phone? Even if we've got free will it'd be easier that way.

Last edited by Xiong; 05/13/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The McChristianity of today doesn't want to admit this with its Happy Meal of Quick Salvation (ie believe and Jesus and even if you're a triple murderer you'll go to heaven, but the atheist grandma won't).

Not the thread topic, but I never promoted that a Christian was to live any other way than Christlike.

If no one believed in Jesus, would Jesus still exist? If one sect of Christianity ceases to exist, does that version of God stop existing too?

If no one believed in God it would not affect His existence one iota.

If God wants to talk to us so badly, why doesn't he create a forum on the internet or get a cell phone? Even if we've got free will it'd be easier that way.

The same argument could be made about Zeus, Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, ....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Some things need to be believed to be seen.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have you ever seen a thought or a personality?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Maybe the best proof is the amount of energy a rational person uses to try to disprove it.

What purpose would that be unless it was true.

So in reality ringy your probably the best proof he did exist, and rose again.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Xiong
If God wants to talk to us so badly, why doesn't he create a forum on the internet or get a cell phone? Even if we've got free will it'd be easier that way.

He wrote you a letter. Have you opened it? cool

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbob
Blaine,

Some of us do study, but I remember you discounting this study in our discussion with Bob and Will because I didn't have access to the original autographs. No one has access to those, even you.

Your memory is fuzzy or else you misunderstood. I have never said we shouldn't deeply study the Bible becasue we don't have the original autographs. In fact, I say quite the opposite...........

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can't with some one who knows nothing about ancient history nor wants to learn

I recommend you take the log out of your own eye before you try to point out the speck in someone else's eye............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plinker

Is this one the letter you're talking about?

Click on the "read" link at the site above.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or better yet, go to YouTube and listen:

Father's Love Letter

This makes me cry every time I listen to it...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Xiong

He wrote you a letter. Have you opened it?

i couldnt sort it out between all the fraudulant documents the church produced to give themselves power land and money in his name...
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i couldnt sort it out between all the fraudulant documents the church produced to give themselves power land and money in his name...

In effect then you are saying that your unbelief is based on ignorance rather than knowledge.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Blaine
Originally Posted by Longbob
Blaine,

Some of us do study, but I remember you discounting this study in our discussion with Bob and Will because I didn't have access to the original autographs. No one has access to those, even you.

Your memory is fuzzy or else you misunderstood. I have never said we shouldn't deeply study the Bible becasue we don't have the original autographs. In fact, I say quite the opposite...........

My memory is not fuzzy. Maybe you can go back and review the PM thread. When I was expressing my analysis of the Bible/s you were discounting it because I didn't have access to the original autographs. I said that you were in the same position so your analysis wouldn't be any more valid than mine if you insisted that I had to use that standard. Your argument was circular. Did you ever wonder why no one chose to continue the discussion?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Is this one the letter you're talking about? Click on the "read" link at the site above.

Penny

This is the one I am speaking of...

[Linked Image]

Except in ringworm's case one with pictures would be more appropriate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not bad. I prefer Goddess the Almighty Mother, it makes more sense to me.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.