Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CraigP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Re any of you guys having trouble getting your banks to cash USPS money orders? When I bring one in to my bank they get this look on their face like I just handed him them a demand note. They are real hesitant to cash them, saying they got some notice about alot of fraudulent money orders being out there. Normally I just deposit them and tell them I'll take my chances. Am I the only one having this kind of trouble with money orders.

Craig

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Some banks are reluctant to cash them....the post office will verify them and cash them for you.

C
CraigP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They keep telling me to go to the Post Office and cash it, but I don't want to make two different trips to just deposit it in my account.

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bank will not have ANYTHING to do with a USPS money order over $300 , won't cash it , won't let me deposit it , nothing.

When someone buys something from me over the internet I cash the MO at the PO when I mail the package

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thats because the government is broke and they know it. They would also be forced to take TARP money if they do it. laugh

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tough cashing a MO for a $1000 at the PO also.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My bank told me that USPS mo's were counterfited quite often last year. They changed them some after that.

I still only accept USPS mo's and verify them at the PO before shipping, walk out with cash. I let a guy talk me into taking a western union mo here last year and no one would cash it or verify it.

USPS only for me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yep.. A bill pay check is the way to go for the high dollar items, imo...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My bank looks at them under a blacklight to verify they are real, cash it/deposit it...then I grab a lolipop out of the basket and head out the door.

Cashing a high dollar MO at the post office can be a PITA as they rarely have alot of cash in the drawer until late in the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my post office wont cash them. bank has no problem

IC B3

There have been a lot of problems with various types of money orders over the last few years. The banks are hesitant because they can not always tell if a MO is real or not. They must wait until the company that created the MO releases funds to truly verify it. It can take weeks for that process to actually be completed. The funds are released to you in a short period of time. It is assumed that the MO is good. If it it found bad later, YOU have to pay the bank back. There has been an ongoing scam on ebay for a long time. Someone offers to send a larger than purchase price MO to allow a courier to pick up the item. The courier gets the goods. A few weeks the bank sends you an insufficient funds notice on your account because they have pulled the amount of the faux MO. Meanwhile, some little sub-life piece of trash in Nigeria is enjoying YOUR loss of product and money. Not all MO transactions are bad, but use gut instinct and caution. I recently made a gun purchase with a Western Union MO without problems. It was only $300 though. Beware, there are also counterfeit cashiers checks out there. It's a shame that paypal is such a gun Nazi organization. It's not a bad alternative.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Here the post office rarely has enough to even cash a $200.00 money order. And the banks will cash them as long as they can cover the loss with YOUR money in the account to back it up. Then of course they deposit it on paper into your account anyway before giving you the money. Postal MOs are a pain in the ass but still better then most. Western Union are the easiest to cash at the grocery stores since they sell them and can verify quickly if they are good or not. Sucks that the government backed money order has become one of the worst ways to send money..

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Never had any Bank refuse to cash a USPS MO.Good as Gold!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently had trouble cashing a Canadian M/O at my bank. They saw Canada on the M/O and just flat freaked out. The woman at the counter was rude and the branch manager was a little dismissive. I had him call the regional manager and explain to him the M/O was drawn off a New York City bank and if they didn't honor it I wanted to close all my accounts at his bank and take my money down the road. They relented and cashed it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've turned high doller MO's into several lower MO's at the post office and had them cashed over a couple of days. PIA but sometimes the only option.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The post office here has a pretty easy time cashing large PMO's, especially Mondays as a lot of wetbacks are in there laundering their $$ into PMO's to ship to some where else...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This is what pay pal is for....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just last week I received a Western Union M.O. from a member of the 24 Hour Campfire for a Lyman 310 tool and dies I sold him here on the classifieds. When I stopped by my bank to cash it the teller told me that BB&T doesn't cash money orders. I gave her my account number and she cashed it once she determined my own account would cover the WUMO if it was not good. I was somewhat surprised at her reluctance to cash it, but that was the first WUMO I had ever received and I was unaware of the bogus USPMO floating around. Next one I get will go to Wachovia, they are a division of Wells Fargo Bank now, just like Western Union is.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only once a teller refused to cash a USPS Moneyorder for me. I immediately pulled all my money out of that bank and closed both accounts and went to another bank that appreciated my business.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TC1
I recently had trouble cashing a Canadian M/O at my bank. They saw Canada on the M/O and just flat freaked out. The woman at the counter was rude and the branch manager was a little dismissive. I had him call the regional manager and explain to him the M/O was drawn off a New York City bank and if they didn't honor it I wanted to close all my accounts at his bank and take my money down the road. They relented and cashed it.

I always thought USPS MO's were the safest thing going. I always offer to pay with them to ease the seller's mind....didn't know I might be causing problems for some folks.

A member here once paid me with a Canadian MO. Wasn't a big deal to me. It was a small purchase for a partial box of bullets...something like $17. My bank charged me $13 to cash it because they had to do a check on it!!!!!

So aside from me handing cash directly to someone, what's the safest and most hassle free way to do it for both parties?

JCM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.