Hop To
C
cam0063 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hi guyz,

Has been a while since posts for me. I have a question here that has been nagging at me for years...

Many years ago [maybe 20yrs +/-] I saw a magazine article on historical BP 12guage [cartridge] pistols. These were double and single barrel shotguns that had their barrels cut short, with either the stocks modified to pistol grip or custom pistol grips were made... The work was done by frontier gunsmiths of the day. These fearsome pistols were carried in hip holsters. [ie: James Caan in "Eldorado"] The article concerned the days of the American West and unfortnately it was not my magazine to read, so I only saw the pics and headings. I believe it was Guns and Ammo Magazine and may have been a Phil Spangenberger article [?]... I am thinking back more than a few years now.

I emailed G&A twice over the past few years, but never had a reply... I have searched the net and come up a blank... Does anyone know of this article? or know of any sources of information on these frontier custom rigs? I am curious on this piece of frontier history...

cheers,

Cam....

Last edited by cam0063; 05/02/09.

Western Australia
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They called 'em "Blanket Guns"

...handy in a Whorehouse fight,

....pulled out from behind the Cantle ("Blanket roll"),

adequate to stop something smaller than a Bison.

The term "Blanket Gun" pre-dates the cartridge era by quite a spell.

Lots were made ought" Brown Bess, and Charleville front stuffers.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Blanket guns" made their public debut during Pontiacs' War. The Braves were allowed into the Brit fort where they produced their sawed off muskets from under their blankets and put the whammy on the Brit garrison.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 05/06/09.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
C
cam0063 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks Greg and ET...

I have never heard the term before! Most interesting... I am going to try contacting Guns & Ammo one more time and see if they can tell me the magazine issue their article featured in and/or if a copy of the article alone is available? I remember it was based on 1870's/80's cartridge shotguns cutdown and modified by frontier "smiths" of the day. Thinking back to the pics the examples featured looked very well altered/customised...

Western Australia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I assure you that anyone who HAS fired one of those ultrashort barreled monsters is NOT anxious to do it again anytime soon!! My Police department had a couple of 16 gauge autoburglars from Ithaca Gun. 10" barrels, pistol grip. VERY unpleasant to shoot lemme tell ya!!

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
back then they were shooting black powder. that makes a big diffarance in recoil. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not as much as ya might think out of one of those critters Hubert. Remember that recoil has a lot to do with the ejecta weight and they ain't a whole lot different these days as back then.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
C
cam0063 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Plenty of kick I am sure... I imagine a chunk of powder wouldnot be burnt in those short barrel shotguns.... I hope I can locate which G&A mag the article was in, this is driving me to distration!!!

Western Australia
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Not really a 12ga blanket gun but an interesting thing: the Howdah pistol reproduction made by Pedersoli, 20ga percussion cap side by side 285mm smooth barrel pistol. Hot rodded it can be an interesting toy...Available in 50cal too.
[Linked Image]

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Then, there's always THIS (the REAL thing!)

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/antique_guns/purdey_howdah/howdah.html

Along with shooting reports...brutal!

Bill C.-sbio
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Wouaouh!! Rather impressive! Nice piece of a firearm, but ain't got enough money!

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could shoot one!!
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is that guy trying to keep it backed off with a friggin STICK? I want a big fuggin handcannon for that kind of crap!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinNOW the reason for the Howdah pistols becomes crystal clear!! grin That wuz one BIG fuggin' tiger!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All the more reason when in Tiger country to have the wife leading the way!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Brits were wise men, developping such guns, and the "cornak" driving the elephant was not armed, must have a lot of confidence in his boss behind him and his ability to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....or he just got invited to lunch....

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin

C
cam0063 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Interesting stuff guys... I didn`t know Pedersoli made repros of the percussion Howdah!

Sure, has me wishing I could find that US article on the custom 12g shotgun pistols of the Amercian West!!! They must have been ferocious things to hold and fire! Point in the general direction of the intended target. If in a saloon, take out your target and 2 or 3 guys either side of him, the piano and piano player and the wall behind... wink I tried searches on how to get hold of Phil Spangenberger at Guns & Ammo, but drew a blank on his contact email. I figured he would possibly know, or may have even written the article. I will keep ploding on... Till then I may just go and dig up my stash of G & A magazines and find the one that features the Howdah and read again! haha I believe some British officers carried the howdah as their service handgun?

Just read the link on "the last thing the tiger sees" wow, yes, a brutal thing to fire!

Last edited by cam0063; 05/23/09.

Western Australia
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Down Under,

I forget to tell that the Pedersoli repro is also available in 58 cal in France together with 50cal and 20gauge.
Learning and reading about the wars between english troops and mountaineers from Pakistan/Afghanistan border (the same as today)it seems sure that the Howdah pistol were also used by some british officers as close quarter combat pistols. They were powerful and fast for such job.
Dom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,739
Posts18,495,048
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.