Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This past weekend, while on a camping and shooting trip in the mountains, a friend brought along a Savage 99 that he�d had for some time. It seems that it was given to him nearly 20 years ago, but he�d never shot it. We have a number of questions about the rifle, and I'm hoping that your answers will also further my ongoing education on Savage 99s. I tried to photograph the rifle as best I could.

[Linked Image]

I have long admired - but only know a rudimentary amount about - Savage 99s, much of which I�ve learned on this forum. I do, however, have a copy of the Murray�s �Ninety-Nine� book and we quickly dove into that book in an attempt to learn more about this particular rifle.

[Linked Image]

What we �think� we learned is that this is a Savage 99 EG. It�s serial number is 551699, which the Murray book would suggest was made in 1949. That serial number appears on the underside of the receiver and is also stamped on the inside of the steel butt plate (which I removed).

[Linked Image]

Question #1: Do we have the model and the year-of-manufacturer correctly established?

Under the steel butt plate, and stamped into the wood of the butt of the stock, is the following:

[Linked Image]

Question #2: What does that stamping in the wood under the steel butt plate indicate?

I�ve must admit that I�ve long thought about acquiring an vintage Savage 99 to re-live the distant hunting past and occasionally use for deer and antelope today. Like driving a classic car, hunting with an old Savage 99 would be a special thrill. When my friend wasn�t looking, I slipped off for a long hike with his old Savage 99, testing the way it carried and sighting on imaginary game over every ridge.

[Linked Image]

Those who love rifles will understand what I was doing. Those who see rifles only as tools will think I was completely nuts. I don�t care. That rifle and I had a great hike together, and I now know for a certainty that I need a Savage 99 in my gun safe.

I was also surprised at just how well this particular old Savage 99 with period Weaver K4 scope shot. Here�s my target. The circled group is my first three shots at 100 yards with Winchester 150-grain soft points which I brought along. I then adjusted the scope and was hitting right on. This gun, even after all the years, is ready to hunt.

[Linked Image]

On this forum, in books and at gun shows I�m slowly learning more and more about Savage 99s. All this is in preparation for purchasing one or more Savage 99s of my own, for hunting. It�s been fascinating. But I�m also quickly learning that the pricing, for even well-used Savage 99s, is all over the map!

So, as a learning exercise, I�m hoping that as a group you can help me estimate a fair ballpark price for this particular Savage 99. I know that�s not easy without carefully inspecting the rifle in person, but I�m hoping that we can at least establish a rough idea based on these photos and my descriptions.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009036-1.jpg[/img]

Somewhere along the line, several modifications have been made to the rifle. Fixed sling swivels have been added. These where not installed particularly well. Clips of wood were knocked out of the stock around the swivel bases. On the underside of the rifle, just above the location of the sliding lever safety someone seems to have used an engraving pen to very crudely etch the words �safe� and �fire� into the metal. A Buehler one-piece scope mount was also installed. It appears to be both screwed and glued in place. The rear sight is missing and a slot blank has been installed in its place.
In the Buehler rings is a period Weaver K4 scope with fine crosshairs-and-dot reticle.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009050.jpg[/img]

The scope is still quite clear and the reticle appears sharp and precise. The adjustments seem to work. The following photo shows the reticle. My camera has distorted the position of the crosshairs. They appear off-center in the photo, but line up well in the scope. The crosshairs are very fine.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009107.jpg[/img]

The stock of the rifle is in fair shape, considering its age. To be honest, I forgot to check if there were any cracks in the stock behind the tang. The rifle�s bluing is also only in fair shape, and is scratched and silvered in many of the usual contact and carry locations.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009041.jpg[/img]

There is very little of the swirling color left on the lever.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009034.jpg[/img]

Question #3: Given all this, what would you estimate to be a fair ballpark price for this particular Savage 99 at this time, and WHY? What specific things raise or lower the price of this rifle?

I�m trying to learn more about Savage 99s, and your frank and honest comments on this particular rifle will help me in that process. Thanks in advance.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pictures.

Yup, it's an EG; others here can and will give you a precise date of manufacture.

What's it worth? It looks like a nice rifle, but it's had some modifications that will lower its value (D&T for scope, sling swivels, the etching by the safety). Around here, I would expect to pay around $400 for a 99 (with scope) in this condition.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Late 49 early 50, most likely an early 50. It will have a lever bar code.

Harry M.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with Phil99 in that it is a $400 rifle. It is well set up for hunting and carrying, but the addition of the sling swivels and d/t for the scope mount don't help the value. The etchings and missing rear sight, well......
The additional stamping under the buttplate makes me wonder if it was returned to the factory for stock replacement???
But as far as a hunting rifle to carry through the woods and hills, stalking a whitetail or antelope, it's perfect.
Brian

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm fussier than most...looks like a 300$ version to me.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Phil hit it on the head here in Michigan, just found a 300 G today but D&T, reblue and some wood cracks, they want 599.00 but not from Me!
John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Around here the shops would price it at $650.. and somebody would eventually buy it. Not me though, and I love EG's for hunting. I can find ones like it for $450 or less even with shipping. Not sure if the scope has any extra value.

Very nice rig, got some nice striping in the stock also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First of all if you are thinking of buying it #1 you already know it shoots well. It would be fair and reasonable around the $400 mark. If it went on Gun Broker it would fetch $500 or more. A good deal amongst friends is being reasonable and both being satisfied. I would feel much better about selling it to a friend that really used it and took care of it. You are right though about the feel of carrying one while hunting.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bottom line: Is it worth it to ME? Some folks will give you a figure you want to hear, others will be in left field or right field. If you like it, and can sleep at night without second guessing your self, buy it. Any 99 in your safe is better than any other lever out there today.Peroid. Just my humble opinion.
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wish I could find one like this for $400.....

So how much does D&T and swivels detract from it's value?

And what is the difference between a G and EG? I located a D&T TD 300 in very similar condition, had a 410 barrel but guys sold it. Asking around 1K, but they are known to be high on their prices. Just looking for a shooter C&R elegible gun.

I think I am giving up on a m94 winny, way too overpriced and I think the savage is a next generation quality/ value gun.

Allen

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
"Next generation?" The 99 is a contemporary of the Winchester 94 and is superior in all regards. The only reason Winchesters are more popular (amongst the general population) is due to Hollywood and the mystique of the "Old West", IMHO. Little does the film-going public realize but most of the Winchester lever actions used in westerns are 92's. (Probably due to the wide availability to propmasters of the old 5-in-1 Blank, usable in .38/40, .44/40, .44 Special and Russian, .45 Colt) John Wayne always used 92's, starting with the Ringo Kid in Stagecoach. Just a theory.

This EG would be worth $400 to me. Maybe a little more if I were feeling flush. 3-4 years ago it would have been a $300 rifle. In the overpriced shops here in the "Megalopolis" it would probably have a $600 price tag.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
99 EG, Weaver 4X,Buehler solid rings, makes a neat outfit..I have one just like it in 250-3000..My uncle had one just like it in 300 Savage and he killed a boat load of elk with it..It is a perfect Whitetail rifle IMO. Also a perfect saddle gun. YOurs shoots real well..you have a nice rifle.

99EG pre war made 1935 to 1941 (22 or 24 inch barrel)
99EG post war made 1945-1961 ( 24 inch barrel only)

BTW you can move that cross hair over with the windage in the mounts and get it centered in your focal plane..Your gun is a 1949 Post war 99EG. The sling swivels are not original they have been added to the gun.

Last edited by atkinson; 05/23/09.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sweet gun. Whoever owns it is fortunate. It needs to go hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the standing bear box of Silvertips too. If its full and has all its' flaps is worth north of $100 easy.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
99EG pre war made 1935 to 1941 (22 or 24 inch barrel)

.300 Savage ALWAYS came with a 24 inch barrel.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even the F's? wink

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
George, I assume you are specifically referring to EG's in .300. I believe the .300 "T" was a 22", and I also had a "DL" in .300 with a 22", and I currently own a 99A Saddle gun in .300 with a 20"...

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
50's F's don't count. They were an abjuration. Some damn fool at Savage forgot how the .300 was able to be the ballistic equivalent of the original 30-06. Also, remember that we're talking EGs here and not Fs. Hell, if you want to get down to it Savage bastardized the .300 with a 20 inch barrel on the post-mil Es and other post mil variations. Another reason why post-mils suck. Might as well have a 30-30 as a .300 with a 20 inch barrel.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are correct sir. The gentleman above specified EGs and I was replying to EGs. Had my mind not been addled by liquor I'd have made sure to specify however while under the influence I'd assumed that those in the know here would understand my response. I stand chastised. I'm also just about on my lips. You can't imagine how hard it is to be coherent when the monitor is spinning. wink grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
George, I assume you are specifically referring to EG's in .300. I believe the .300 "T" was a 22", and I also had a "DL" in .300 with a 22", and I currently own a 99A Saddle gun in .300 with a 20"...

Mike...

Isn't this entire Post about the Fella Showing a EG????
I see an E.G. And Skidster is talking about an E.G.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.