Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I attended a Veterans Day Ceremony today. My youngest daughter is a member of the USAF High School ROTC program and on the drill team, which participated during the event. Upon entering and was greeted VERY nicely and asked if I wanted a cold bottle of water and a program. I was asked if I was a VET. I said yes and was a Retired USAF Persian Gulf Vet. A member of the American Legion asked if I would consider joining. I told him that I would give it some thought. My question is! What does the AL do for veterans, their family's and community? And how big a voice do they have in Washington for veterans rights. And any other input you might have!
Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
we raise money send to things like va or if we have local vet that needs help we will get together and go to their house and help with house or yard up keep.Gives them a place to get together without all the hassles of bars or other gathering etc... the voice in washington i believe helps it definetly can't hurt

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I guess the AL is not the way to go. As to the response I got! I checked my local VFW and all they wanted to do was talk old war stories and drink beer. Nothing wrong wrong with that! Just didn't fill my cup of tea, as to what they could be doing for the VET'S and Families of vets and veteran benefits. Very un-professional organization in my town. It may be different in other locality's.
Just didn't light my fire!
Thanks
ROCKY RET,USAF

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
SHOULD I JOIN OR NOT? ANY WORTH WILES for the community or Veteran or families?
Or just Dump Em?
And look for another VFW worth their salt?

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Hogbuster-- Just one thing. the American Legion will and has been the main Administrator of many a VA.claim. In my opinion, with them doing this for the Vets, saves months if not years in getting results. It worked for me. Web

[Linked Image]
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
There are many reasons to join the American Legion. I've been a member for oh, probably 17 years now.

You get out of it what you seek....if you wish to volunteer for many committees, that's available I'm sure. If you just want a nice PRIVATE club to go into once in awhile with your spouse and friends without the problems associated with a bar, there's that too.

My legion just rebuilt about 5 years ago, brand spanking new banquet hall that rents out to members at a discounted price as well. They also attend many parades throughout the community and attend funerals for the veterans that have passed away.

Like I said, lot's of good reasons, and many good people as well.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many good people in the Legion, I used to belong to our local post but dropped out because of the backbiting at the local post and got tired of the guys who all they wanted was a cheap drink. So I moved my membership to a Post away from local Post.

They do good work fighting for Veteran's benefits both on your State and National Levels. This is pretty much true of any of the Veterans Service Organizations whether it's The American Legion, VFW, DAV, AMVETS, Purple Heart, Fleet Reserve, or other Specific Service Organizations.

If you are a member of almost anyone of the above mentioned Service Organizations and you are away from home you can walk into anyone of the other Service Organizations and be accepted across the country.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,658
Posts18,512,809
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.