Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Sullyk Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yup, keeping the guns and going to have the gunsmith clean them all up. Will build my own gun case and keep adding to my collection. Thanks for everybodys input. Hey Bear on sentimental issue, my dad and I never went hunting together although he would go from time to time as I grew older. Not to say it never crossed is mind, I just guess that it could never work out. Anyways, he was just cleaning out his storage and I was at the right place at the right time.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I paid that much for a bow, it had better hit like, well, a gun. Sorry bud, but personally, bows suck unless your Rambo.

When your Dad's gone (hopefully not for a long time), you'll want anything of his, even the simple stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forty years ago I traded a Win 101 O&U shotgun for a used Black Widow bow and would do it again today as I am still using the bow. If you like the deal then do it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your "gunsmith" would love that deal! He probably doesn't have much into the bow, and the dollar signs roll in his eyes when he sees your Winchester. Remember, the blue book is only a guide to gun value. The real value is whatever someone is willing to pay, and Winchester collectors pay handsomely to fill their collections. Your "gunsmith" is trying to make a fool out of you. There's your "advice" less candy coating and weasle words.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
It's a family heirloom, also you may not be able to buy guns in the future, you will still be able to buy bows (even the ones with training wheels:)

Last edited by zeNII; 05/26/09.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
pure sillyness to trade any heirloom firearm for a bow. Your gunsmith would like that deal for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
If I paid that much for a bow, it had better hit like, well, a gun. Sorry bud, but personally, bows suck unless your Rambo.

"Bows Suck" Generally spoken by people who do not have the skills to successfully archery hunt. If I had to give up my firearms or give up my bow, the guns would go first as at least for myself there's not greater thrill than a successful archery hunt.

Unfortunately 600.00 for a fully set-up bow isn't that bad anymore with manufactures charging 700-900.00 for just the bow, plus another 200-300.00 for accessories.

A compound will never hold it's value like a firearm, but they do hold their value for a few years. The original poster is making a wise choice in keeping his gun, but for anyone who says the next year a bow isn't worth anything look at feebay and what some of the 2-4 year old Mathews, PSE's, Bow-techs, etc. are going for.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
It was a gift from your dad! Keep the gun, buy the bow.

+1... you can always get a bow... the gift is once.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
"Bows Suck" Generally spoken by people who do not have the skills to successfully archery hunt. If I had to give up my firearms or give up my bow, the guns would go first as at least for myself there's not greater thrill than a successful archery hunt

Generally.

In my youth I was without an air rifle for a time. I shot birds, rabbits, raccoons, possums, deer, squirrels, frogs and even a watersnake swimming through the head. I hunted a lot with a bow and shot a lot with a bow. I carried one every day for about three years.

I shot two recurve bows and finally got a compound; hated the compound. All three bows were less than $100.

As I said, for me personally, I'll take iron over a contraption, and cannot see more value in any bow of any kind.

And I always liked guns better; no offense.

I love to handgun hunt, so I understand. Would be nice if gun hunters here had as much opportunity as the bowyers.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Guns hold their value, bows don't. Keep the rifle, buy the bow. Pass the rifle to your son, when appropriate.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the gun

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by doubletap
It was a gift from your dad! Keep the gun, buy the bow.

Amen to that.

BMT

There is sentimental value. As you get older, you'll understand.

Besides, next year, that bow will be 1/2 of it's value, tops. The Winchester will only go up in value.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Guns hold their value, bows don't. Keep the rifle, buy the bow. Pass the rifle to your son, when appropriate.

The Black Widow bow that i traded the shotgun for is easily worth two or three times as much as it was when I got it and five or six times more than I paid for the shotgun. On top of that I have used it for forty years and it has repaid me many times over in the pleasure of using it. this winter I gave it to my daughter and she shoots if well.

I am sure the value of the Win 101 has also gone up - probably more than the bow - but I have plenty of guns and never needed any more bow than that takedown Black Widow. I would do the trade again.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.