Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BOE Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The current hording is making it tough for a guy to reload a few shells. I am trying to work up some loads for my sons new and rifle but magnum primers and most powder seem to be nearly impossible to get. frown

Anybody wanna guess how long before the horders run out of cash and I might see some stock on the local shelves or internet order sights?

Please dont tell me 3.5 more years and a new administration cry

HR IC

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was in the Owatanna,MN Cabela's yesterday - shelves were pretty bare, but they told me they are starting to see more inventory coming in. Hopefully that means we'll soon start seeing the supplies we need!

B
BOE Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks, I just found the same topic on the varmit forum.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Cabela's in Glendale AZ had several pounds of V100, a couple of pounds of Big Game and some odds ends of other powders. They put a limit on no more of 2 pounds per customer per day. Its the primers and 45APC ammo that go in under an hour.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
wanna get even with a neighbor? take out an ad in the newspaper for 5K primers at $40 a K and put his number down.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
LOL LMAO - That is hilarious ... wait ... no its funnier then that!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that's funny!!!!!!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I placed an order for primers with Cabelas on May 2. Expected delivery was 5-6 weeks. Was just notified that the expected ship date has been pushed back to the end of June. I'm still hoping that we'll see the shortage start to ease a bit this month... not holding my breath, though.

ttpoz

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
yep, can't find Brass, Primers or Powder in south Louisiana, I have looked from Lafayette to Baton Rouge - NONE TO BE FOUND

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
B
BOE Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I found a local supply of primers, will pick up a couple thousand mag rifle primers tomorrow from the guy. $40/1000 seems reasonable in this market since my Cabelas order never seems to fill.

I have found all the powder I want on the right coast but no way to get it to the left coast legally that I can find. Anybody know a company that does haz mat shipping? Short of finding a long haul trucker who will pick it up and put it behind the seat for the trip home, it seems nearly impossible to ship. LTL truckers, greyhound, fedex, ups, usps all wont let you drop powder off to ship frown

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had an interesting thought today after watching the news about GM. I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE LOSE THEIR JOBS, but maybe when the people who are spending exorbitant amounts of money on supply's run out of cash and need to liquidate some of their supplies to pay the mortgage, we who have none can purchase it at a discount? :-)

Just a thought

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I honestly believe that a lot of this hoarding was caused not by our new president alone, but also because of the spike in ammo and component prices of last year and the year before. That spooked a lot of people. They want to stock the shelves in case it happens again... and it might do just that.

One thing that this shortage made me do was expand my horizons. I bought a new rifle a month or two ago (a rare occurrence for me!) and was confronted with very small supplies of my preferred components when I could find them at all.

So I ended up choosing stuff that was available and trying harder to make it work out. Several new types of reloading supplies are now on my shelf: Nosler Accubonds, Speer Hot-Cors, Reloader 15 powder. That is what I could find and once the loads were completed to the 'tweaking' stage I put in an order for a couple hundred more of the 3 bullets I settled on. Then I got enough powder to feed them. Got lucky and found enough H-4350 to do the job on both this and my other my big game rifle as well, just had to look long and hard to find it.

So that was the primary difference to me, I had to go with stuff I normally would not have. It turned out for the best and I am satisfied with the results.

Only drawback was a bad batch of primers I had to fight through. I know, I know, it couldn't be that! I must be mistaken. Well, I won't mention the name of the company, but yes, it was a bad batch of primers and I do mean bad. A busted case on a moderate load, flyers a foot or more away, no consistency at all, that kind of thing. Probably a mixup or mislabel at the plant feeding this frenzy we're going through. But once that was figured out I managed to find a brick of my old standby Fed 210s and life is good once more. Immediately the rifle settled down and shot very predictably and, for a lightweight mountain rifle, very acceptably in terms of accuracy.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 68 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,316
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.