Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Found this on the Sportsmans Warehouse home page. An interesting article detailing how they fell into bankruptcy.

ftp://sportsmanswarehouse.com/documents/sw_reorganize_04-2009.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say that the implementation of Oracle's Advanced Supply Chain contributed significantly to SW's demise. I work in the ERP business and this is not a unique situation with this overpriced garbage.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm.. guessing you're an SAP employee? Either that or Microsoft. grin

Edit: It does sound as though they were bit by a combination of very poor project mgmt as well as poor supply chain management (would love to know the consultants they had who did the implementation), and a cascade of financial troubles all at the same time. I've seen very bad implementations of new software, and rushing something into service has killed more than one company. Sounds as though they'll survive it in a reduced state.. they're lucky.

Last edited by Calhoun; 05/28/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds weak, they never heard in running a new system in parallel with the old to debug? Sounds more like they grew the business faster than they could afford to and the sales slump bit them on the debt service.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds to me as though they were wayyy too far in hock. I probably won't ever own a large business, because I'd rather keep it small and be financially secure than grow in the red.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
That was a load of [bleep] from a tuxedo wearing bullpuckey artist. Notice the two years of no discussion, 2004-2006? Two years of what?. Then all of a sudden whoops! the wheels started coming off the cart, one loan after another, and another loan, and...

But it's not bad management, it's this bad software and Lehman Bros, and ....

It was bad management.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, somewhat. The bad management was, however, to count on a "new system" to fix the bad management.

The stories about the new supply system were real, and legion. The local guys could not get what they ordered. fwiw, Dutch

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't read the article, but looking at it from the outside, SW expanded right into the jump in gas prices. Nobody has money for toys when it's all going for gas to get to and from work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
Agreed, somewhat. The bad management was, however, to count on a "new system" to fix the bad management.

A very credible hypothesis.

There are other items in this article which are not indicative of good management either, the biggest one is the huge final reduction in the number of stores. Although the CEO claims that they were profitable, I doubt it very much. I am convinced that they developed too fast, opening too many stores with marginal profitability or none at all.

It seems that they were going after volume instead of value.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've lived through an Oracle implementation. That episode cost the manager who directed the implementation his job.

Because of a disconnect in the system, we had one reserve account balloon to $35 million. Fortunately, the company was making money hand over fist at the time, and could absorb that for a year or so while we got the kinks out.

The amount of profit a company makes sets its maximum expansion rate. It does sound like SW overreached and got zapped when they couldn't re-stock stores because of Oracle and the markets hit some turbulence and credit terms tightened.

Last edited by denton; 05/28/09.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have worked with Oracle, SAP and Microsoft. All are bloated and overly complex. Right now I work with Oracle, SAP and Microsoft's worst nightmare. Open Source ERP that uses an open source database with the power of Oracle DBMS. Powerful, stable, easy to use and inexpensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a bunch of bunk! Two words....POOR MANAGEMENT!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ever heard of a company failing from the bottom up?

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't care.

I hate Sportman's Whorehouse.... SW sucks.

I'd rather take my chances on-line..... and that's saying something.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When the guy behind the counter wouldn't even hand me the Kimber Montana, because "they don't shoot"... I knew they were in trouble.

He never did hand it to me!!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Smart man

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me like the salesperson was just trying to keep a gun out of the hands of an unstable individual in the interest of public safety. grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ZeroGravitas
That was a load of [bleep] from a tuxedo wearing bullpuckey artist.

Eloquently put. Yeah, it kind of read like, well if this hadn't happened and that hadn't happening piled onto more of the same, etc. etc. ... a string of catastrophic and unlikely coincidences all strung together blew them out of the water grin . Never mind all that overextending themselves by racking up the debt to grow grow grow ... smirk

Sounds just like all the other folks that ran the great train wreck we're in.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Why should the CEO tell it in a way that makes it look like he screwed up. What I do know is the close SW started trying to sell me what they had instead of ordering or looking for what I wanted. Then they opened 2 more stores to compete with themselves, until then the employees said the local store was a gold mine. Given that at the same time metal prices and fuel went up, raising the price of goods and decreasing the amount of money customers had. The final straw seemed to be the "run" on firearm related stuff.

Some of the stores seemed (from stories) to be poorly staffed. The local one had people who knew a bullet from a cartridge, etc.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,226
Posts18,485,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.