Print Thread
Hop To
Page 184 of 1,842 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
That's an independent rear suspension unit right?

Those are CV joints no?

Depends on where it broke but you are likely looking at a whole new shaft assembly on that side.

I wonder if the boot was torn for a while & maybe you didn't know it?

Yes it is independent and it is a CV joint. It is on the axle shaft and it sits in a clevis that is mounted to the transfer case or whatever it is they call it.

Tom - Thanks! We are just lucky that it was this particular kid that was riding it at the time. You can trust that she drives slow even when unsupervised. She does wear a helmet all the time too.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We'll have to get r fixed up jim. we'll scrape together all the machines we can & maybe do a family weekend ride up at chickenbuck really soon.

That is, If you like that sort of thing....

grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
heck yeah!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well despite the wind, the walleyes were biting like crazy on my favorite fishing hole today. Actually, they didn't start to bite until it got windy. Got 3 keepers which is rare on this lake. 16" 17" & 19". There is a 15" min. size, and I caught at least a dozen that were 14" Frustrating sometimes when you can't keep a perfect eater, but it was a blast.

It was also the first time I've used my boat alone, so that was cool too.

Got home in time for lunch, and to plant some trees we bought. Did some other landscaping, had a few frosty beverages, and a great campfire at our place with the neighbors tonight. Witch of course led to more frosty beverages, and the neighbor dude started his tennis shoe on fire. grin

Not a bad start to the weekend.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tom, what were they hitting on?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I started with a jig and crawler and caught catfish. Switched to Jig/minnow and a threw out a Lindy rig/minnow while I was jigging.

Caught most of the fish on the jig, but ALL the bigger ones came off of the Lindy. Just a hook, a floater, and a 1/4oz slip sinker. The jig was 1/8oz with a white head.

I shouldn't even say this but I'm going to....Those were the only two options I had to fish with. I forgot my tackle box in the garage when I left, and my rods were rigged with the jig and the Lindy from last weekend.

I was fishing an 8' hump just off the channel. Just anchored up over it.

I caught no fish for the first hour I was there, then it went crazy from 8 to about 11am. I told mama that I'd be home for lunch, so I had to go. I was down to just a couple minnows anyway.

Fun morning.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ya know Bill,

We should go out soon. You don't fish up there much, I could show you some spots.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Me, mama & the 2 boys made a quick trip out to the cabin yesterday just to check on things. the trail into the cabin is drying up pretty nice.

took a picture along the trail
[Linked Image]

also took a picture of this strange mushroom.

[Linked Image]

there were a buch of these in a spot along the trail on the way in to the cabin. Sure is an ugly bugger huh?

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tom, it would be great to get together. Might be later this summer though as the next couple of weeks are full up than we leave for Portland from 6/17-7/08.

Bill

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Dave, these appear to be False Morels, not recommended to eat as they can be poisonus. Picture didn't copy, but appears to be identicle to the one you posted.

False Morels (Helvella and Gyromitra spp.)

Helvella sp. Gyromitra caroliniana
False morels are difficult to treat in an article on edible and poisonous mushrooms, because they so clearly fit both categories.

On one hand, many people have enjoyed eating false morels for years and may even consider them a favorite wild mushroom. On the other, false morels have definitely caused serious illnesses and deaths in the United States.

The problem seems to involve the amount of a toxic chemical, called monomethyl hydrazine (MMH), present in these mushrooms. MMH causes diarrhea, vomiting and severe headaches, and occasionally it can be fatal. However, because of different cooking techniques and different individual sensitivities to MMH, false morels poison some people but leave others unaffected. In addition, false morels in some areas of the country contain more MMH than in other areas. All this makes these mushrooms a very doubtful group as far as edibility is concerned.

False morels have wrinkled, irregular caps that are brainlike or saddle-shaped. They may be black, gray, white, brown or reddish. (The "big red morel," Gyromitra caroliniana, common in Missouri, is a large false morel with a reddish cap.) Other names include elephant ears, Arkansas morels and brain mushrooms. Size 2" to 8" tall.

False morels differ from true morels in two obvious ways:

1.The cap surface has lobes, folds, flaps or wrinkles, but it does not have pits and ridges like a true morel. You might say their caps bulge outward instead of being pitted inward.
2.The bottom edge of the cap of a false morel hangs free around the stem, like a skirt. On true morels, the bottom edge of the cap is attached to the stem (see page 4).
False morels are found in spring, summer and fall, on the ground in woodlands.

Note: Because these mushrooms have definitely caused deaths, we cannot recommend that you eat them. If you nevertheless choose to do so, they should be thoroughly cooked in a well-ventilated room, since MMH is driven off by heat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Oops, here's the link to the site I found the info on.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/poisonous.htm

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah we won't be eating those I guess grin

Last edited by northern_dave; 05/31/09.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ya find any real morels yet Dave?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
not many at all. only about 6 i think.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Tom, it would be great to get together. Might be later this summer though as the next couple of weeks are full up than we leave for Portland from 6/17-7/08.

Bill

They bite there in July too Bill. We'll get 'em.

Have you been up HWY DB lately? There is a new bar/restaurant called The Beach House. Great place. It is across from the old Heckel's Marine, and next to the Tiki Bar, which is also a sweet place...that is of course if you're into scantily clad women, live music, and cold beer. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Holy smokes. I would have thought that was a Morel. Good thing I wasn't pickin' em then.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[quote=tzone
They bite there in July too Bill. We'll get 'em.

Have you been up HWY DB lately? There is a new bar/restaurant called The Beach House. Great place. It is across from the old Heckel's Marine, and next to the Tiki Bar, which is also a sweet place...that is of course if you're into scantily clad women, live music, and cold beer. grin

[/quote]

Think I'll check out the Tiki bar first blush....If by chance I get hungry in a day or two I'll crawl over to the other place and get something to eat. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm guessing they will both have equal "attraction" in the dog days of summer.

They are both on the water, 100' from each other.

In the early spring the Tiki Bar has a beach party...INSIDE. sand on the floor, bikinis on the chicks. It's hard to leave. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saturday night my wife and I attended the annual Friends of the NRA dinner.Had a great time.This is two years straight for me and I definitely will make it an annual thing from now on.
In addition to a great dinner they have drawings and auctions for guns and all manner of outdoor goodies.
Look into it in your area and attend and support the NRA.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have attended several Stan. They really support out Hunters Saftey group. They really do a nice job.

Did you buy anything at the auction Stan?

Page 184 of 1,842 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.