-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terry, who did the integral bases on the Springfield for you?

"Find on old guild rifle"? For 250.00. Man that's been awhile.

I have several and thought about it. But I don't think it will work from a Mauser tenon and thread to a Springfield and putting a liner for a .22rf. I am not going to tear apart a fine old rifle for a sacrificial barrel. But I did think about it, a lot.

I even considered having a cnc program written for it and doing it on a mill. The cost for that gets scary.

The other thing I like, is the swivel on the barrel mount milled into the barrel, not silver soldered on.

All in All, I think the Lothar Walther barrels are a deal, I guy just needs to save his milk money a little longer. The other option, sell some of he stuff that never sees the light of day.

With a wedding band added at the transition, well for me, it just doesn't get better than that. Vary rare to find any rifle like that.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A fellow named David Christman did those. He's an amazing gunsmith.

That's a 1936 Mexican smallring M98. Notice the huge gas hole on the left side of the receiver isn't there anymore! wink

Terry
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TC1
A fellow named David Christman did those. He's an amazing gunsmith.

That's a 1936 Mexican smallring M98. Notice the huge gas hole on the left side of the receiver isn't there anymore! wink

Terry
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's magnificent!!
Amen on David Christman. He's the best kept secret of outstanding gunsmithing today!

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
dj1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
lilja & wind river will do octagons a lot cheaper than most of the other barrel makers. lilja charges an extra $165 & wind river's octagon barrels start at $325 installed. i have a wind river 6.5x55 on a rifle & a lilja octagon blank that i got dirt cheap thats waiting on the right project. the the finish on the flats is actually better on the cheaper wind river than the lilja but i would imagine the barrel quality on the lilja is better because i don't think wind river could do their barrels at that price if they used a premium barrel blank.

i also agree with new guy on the shanks, i like them short & i've seen way to many of them about 1" long that i think ruiend the look of the rifle

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just a little too square.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dj1
lilja & wind river will do octagons a lot cheaper than most of the other barrel makers. lilja charges an extra $165 & wind river's octagon barrels start at $325 installed. i have a wind river 6.5x55 on a rifle & a lilja octagon blank that i got dirt cheap that's waiting on the right project. the the finish on the flats is actually better on the cheaper wind river than the lilja but i would imagine the barrel quality on the lilja is better because i don't think wind river could do their barrels at that price if they used a premium barrel blank.

i also agree with new guy on the shanks, i like them short & i've seen way to many of them about 1" long that i think ruiend the look of the rifle

I bought one Wind River blank before they moved south. For the money they are decent blanks. Just don't put your Hawkeye bore scope down the bore and you won't feel bad about the barrel.

On the other hand I have barrels from Lilja (in the dozens) and every one looks as clean, reamer marks free as any top barrel maker.

But if you want to put your money in the vary best then go with a blank from Boughton barrels. Lots of folks will mill your blank for Octagonal, cheaper than Lilja. A guy that does more octagonal barrel mounting than anyone else, is John King.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Here is a light countour 7x57 I think it looks nice. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Obviously a work in progress

Michael J

Last edited by michaelj; 06/03/09.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by michaelj

Obviously a work in progress

Michael J

... and a stunning one at that!

WOW. sick

Green with envy.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, 10Glocks, B52RadarNav, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,448
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.