-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After a very long wait for the new 10x42 Bushenell Legend Ultra HD binoculars, I finally got a pair last Friday. Cabela's is the first place that I have found these to be in stock and with $25 off coupon from a fellow campfire member (thanks again ShoMeWhitetails) and a gift card I had been saving... they did arrive. I did order the camo and got the black model ( Cabela's has correct pair on the way ), but other than that I can say that I am pretty impressed with them. My eyes aren't nearly as good as they once were , but these are very bright,sharp binoculars. Will leave the complete review up to the experts on here, but to my eyes they are better glass than the following binos that I have had recently:
- any of the Nikon Monarchs
- Zeiss Conqust 10x40 ABK's (yes, I know what they cost)
- Vortex's up to Razor series
I know alot of people may not agree, but I think that for they are the best in class for the money. Has any one else had a chance to test any?
Strap and harness system are pretty good. I think most are eithergoingtolove or hate them. Can't tell much from my poor pics ( sorry, past my bed time and in a hurry) but the neck strap in padded really nice and I might actually use it. I harness system may take a little while to warm up to, but after some adjustments it felt really good to have on while I practiced with my bow. Quick release staps that stay on the binos and let you use either strap or harness is good idea.

Attached Images
13257-DSCN0217.JPG (12.42 KB, 1808 downloads)
13258-DSCN0218.JPG (13.91 KB, 1144 downloads)
13259-DSCN0219.JPG (12.61 KB, 1463 downloads)
13260-DSCN0219.JPG (12.61 KB, 1231 downloads)
Last edited by 270wsmnutt; 06/02/09. Reason: add pics
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

You are the first poster about these that I have seen and I keep a close eye on several forums. I wonder if you would mind posting the length of the binocular? The ED glass is supposed to work better with longer focal lengths. I have an idea this might be one reason the introduction took so long, that they eventually had to lengthen it a bit to get it to work. Then again maybe not. So I am curious about how long they are.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
"Frist post!" As they say on more geeky sites.

Thanks for posting. That's a very helpful comparison as it puts it in the (other) Chinese ED up to the Top Four bracket given other comparisons.

It'll be interesting to see what others have to say about this bin.

Any chance of a photo of it or it's accessories? Or more comments?

How do you like the "harness/strap system"?

Of course, Doug is a Bushnell dealer ... does he have stock yet?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They are 5.4" long. Not quite as long as I thought they might be. Weigh a little over 22 oz and balance very well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, 5.4" sems to blow my lengthen it out theory all to bits. That is shorter than the Nikon Monarch by more than 1/2", and not that much longer than the Swift 7x36 Eaglet.

Thanks.

Steve

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have had one on order since last January. I was told the earliest would be this July.

Did you order through Cabelas website (which I just saw still said backordered as of a day or two ago) or did you get them at a retail store?

If it is the latter then I might have to make the trip to the Hamburg store tomorrow after work. I have a little over $200 Cabelas points saved up on the Visa.

wink

Frank
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I should of said that I got the 10x42's. I wanted the 8x42's but they are still backorderd. I ordered directly from Cabela's web site( I just checked and they still have both of the 10x's in stock):
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&indexId=cat601542&hasJS=true
They had 9 pairs of the black when I ordered last week( they do have a problem with their listing- when your order the bottom model marked Realtree AP HD for $299.99, you actually get the black model). I talked to a CS rep today and they are working on fixing the web site and are sending me the camo at no extra charge. I assume if you ordered the black model for $309.99, you would get the camo model. Either way, Cabela's will make it right and have been very good to deal with.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just called Cabelas 1-800 number and confirmed that. They have the 10x42s in stock but the 8x42s are not yet in. They had a listed arrival date of June 15th though they did say that was subject to change.

wink

Frank
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for the photos.

How does the harness/strap work for you?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jury is still out on the harness/strap system for me. It really depends on the application. For birding and archery tournaments, I think that I am going to like them both. But for hunting, I like the bino's to "hug" my body a little tighter for stalking and such ( have a Crooked Horn harness that I like use for hunting).

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
They have the "quick release" latches? So that swap should be pretty quick.

Do you find the strap attachments get in the way ... I've found this a weakness with Bushnell's with these QR things (from the Elite down ...).

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They do seem like they get a bit in the way. Seems like they could be a little thicker/stronger... never had one break, but all it takes is one time!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quick question about the rubber armor. Is it a soft and grippy surface or a harder, slicker surface with a sort of plastic feeling? The latter is how the Excursion EX black armor struck me.

Steve

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would say it is more of the harder, slicker surface like you are talking about ( my son's 8x32 legends have more of a softer "rubber" feel to them). Not terrible, just not what I am used to.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the reply. That is what I took from the photo. The camo version of the Excursion EX is a much nicer surface feel than the rubber version. Hopefully the camo Legend HD will be too. smile

Steve

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You were right about the finish on the camo model, much better feel and look. Cabela's sent me the camo version on Friday and I do like the finish better, glass seems to be the same ( good to know that the guality seems to be consistant so far). I really wanted the 8x42's, but couldn't wait any longer. May have to try a pair as soon as they are available as I am more of a 8 power guy and these should be great( great field of view and should be even brighter).

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It's also interesting that the camo is only on the 10x model. I guess Bushnell know that hunters like the Bigger Numbers.

They won't be any brighter in daylight ... not until your pupils get to 4mm will the 8x appear brighter (that will be in twilight or in a very dark forest).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, akpls, 11 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,938
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.