Print Thread
Hop To
U
ULA65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
What is the latest and greatest regarding fletching? I am shooting an 07 Bowtech Allegiance (65lbs)with 28in ICS Hunter 400's. They had straight vanes which have not held up to well (about 500 shots) they are starting to buzz in flight.

Helical twist? Feathers? Any one better than another for accuracy?

Looking for all opinions...

Thanks,

BC

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have played about with feathers and vanes, you will see increased speed with feathers as they are very light, have not noticed much difference in degree of helical vs straight fletch (actually with the carbons I have found it hard to get much helical on it). I think most vanes may require replacement after 500 shots. I noticed a slight improvement in accuracy using NAP vanes but less life. I think they improved them to last longer.

NRA Life Member
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'am shooting an 07 bowtech guardian with gold tip pro hunters fletched with Blazers and they shoot great. Shooting muzzy 3 blade and slick tricks and no troubles tuning or getting them to shoot.

You can call me what ever you want to, just don't call me late for dinner.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
personally, I've always been a helical feathers guy - but then again i shoot off the shelf, which kinda dictates that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I also shoot the ICS Hunters. I like them fletched with a straight jig set to fairly heavy offset (with drop away rest). Last year I used 3) 2 7/8" vanes, it worked but was not quite as stable as my standard and what I'm back to this year 3) 3 7/8" AAE vanes. I shoot a 4 blade Muzzy broadhead. I like the AAE because you can super glue them. As far as wearing vanes out.......they seem to last for several years for me and I shoot 100+ arrows per week. Just do not shoot at the same dot unless it is over 40 yards.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot 2" Blazer vanes on all my arrows. I use a Whisker Biscuit rest, and these vanes hold up extremely well. They also stabilize every broadhead I have tried shooting thru them.

I order them fletched with 4 degree right offset.

I also touch up my new arrows with a tiny drop of superglue at the front and rear of each fletching- virtually eliminates vanes coming loose, even after many launchings.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I had been using 4" feathers, but have recently switched to FOBS from http://www.starrflight.com/ . I love them. I was skeptical at first but figured I'd give them a try after hearing positive things about them on ArcheryTalk. Glad I did.

But, you have to use a drop away rest with them.

Ryan

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used Blazers and other types of vanes and always had issues with them tearing or getting bent so I stopped using them and went to FOBS. I've been shooting them for about 6 months and couldn't be happier.

Only thing about shooting with FOBS is you need to use a big target or you'll end up busting them. I've got 2 tubes of them, one for practice and one for hunting.
Half my practice FOBS have some kind of damage because I continue to group them to closely. Mayeb i need a different target, I only shoot 3 arrows while practicing but still manage to hit one on occasion.

Their certainly not for everyone but I like their accuracy and ease of use.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Only thing about shooting with FOBS is you need to use a big target or you'll end up busting them.

Yep, you don't want to shoot for groups with them. I've got 5 dots on my target and I just shoot an arrow at each dot.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I like the new Flash vanes from Flex Fletch. They are high profile vanes like Blazers but hold up extremely well. I've shot these through hay bales more than a few times but the vanes always return to normal shape.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I had been using 4" feathers, but have recently switched to FOBS from http://www.starrflight.com/ . I love them. I was skeptical at first but figured I'd give them a try after hearing positive things about them on ArcheryTalk. Glad I did.

But, you have to use a drop away rest with them.

Ryan

I switched to FOBS 2 years ago and love it. I won't be going back to vanes anytime soon!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.