-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have a recomendation for a hinged floor plate on a BRNO military action? It seems the only 2 choices are $500 from Sunny Hill or a cheap, flimsy cast aluminum for $70. Sure wish Williams made one for the m98.

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duane Weibe

Sound Metal Products

$385 and well worth it.

Terry

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bottom metal from an '09 Argentine will work. They're still out there, usually around $150 (+/-). Although it's not hinged, 1903 Springfield bottom metal can also be made to work on 98's.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could convert your existing bottom metal to a hinged floorplate - it's not that hard, once you know how, if you're handy.

Here's a tutorial from Mauser Central, by a fellow campfire member:

http://www.mausercentral.com/hingedfloorplate.htm

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terry: I have a foggy memory of a phone conversation with the lady at Blackburn machine telling me they were going to change the name. CNC something, anybody know the name change. They had decent bottom metal for Mauser's.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I think it's something like that. They're on my avoid at all cost list though!

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
Yeah, I think it's something like that. They're on my avoid at all cost list though!

Terry

Oh well, it was just a though anyway.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Terry: I have a foggy memory of a phone conversation with the lady at Blackburn machine telling me they were going to change the name. CNC something, anybody know the name change. They had decent bottom metal for Mauser's.

Blackburn = www.cncspecialtyproducts.com

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I have great respect for Terry's tastes in rifles, I would tend to disagree with his recommendation that you not consider Blackburn bottom metal for your mauser project. I am quite familiar with them and their products and they make a very fine bottom metal that has been used by custom riflemakers for generations. Their trigger guard has a very distinctive and recognizeable shape to it.

They look like this:

[Linked Image]

D
dj1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
at one time blackburn was the only game in town but after years of blackburn failing to deliver orders on time & holding up builds i would have to agree with terry & i would avoid them too.
Duane Weibe's bottom metal is top notch & if i'm not mistaken his bottom metal company was started because of blackburns inability to deliver on orders.

i'm still waiting on the reply to my email i sent blackburn several years ago asking for the shipping price so i could send my money for a trigger & bottom metal.

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kevin, my opinion is based on personal experience. I do respect your opinion but I will correct you on one thing. I said I avoid them, I never recommended anyone else do so. I have no vendetta against the blackburns, they just didn't ship what they said they would ship and because of this it backed my project up over a month. The longer I deal with these rifle projects the less time I have for people that do buisiness like this.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is common knowledge that there was a time period when CNC Specialties was not delivering their product in what most would consider a timely manner. That was because they were engaged in contract work for a large manufacturer. And yes, they should have been more up front in advising their individual customers of that fact.

But in speaking with Maggie when I have orderd from them she has advised me that they are attempting very hard to rectify that situation by building inventory as fast as they can.

Everybody is certainly entitled to their opinion. All I was trying to say is that they make great bottom metal and I suspect that as this year goes on many of their products will become more and more available.

For anyone that needs a steel blackburn trigger, a #9 (regular 30-06 size)bottom metal, or a mex mauser bottom metal, immediately, I have one of each that I would sell.

I think its a good thing that we have all kinds of choices in bottom metal. That is alot better than having no choices at all.
And I apoligize Terry. You are correct. You did not make a recommendation.

DJ1

If you have been waiting years for a reply to an email don't you think the prudent thing to do would be to either resend the email or get on the phone and make an inquiry?

D
dj1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
22wrf, after a couple weeks i gave up on them & ordered sunny hill bottom metal through brownells with my c&r discount it was around $350 or 360 at that time.
because of a speech impediment & being hard of hearing i prefer do do buisiness through email whenever possible. i could have called them but they very likly would have understood half of what i was saying & i wouldn't have heard half of what they were saying.
i give everyone two weeks to return an email, after that i buy from somewhere else if its possible or another person gets the job if its work i'm trying to have done.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,619
Posts18,511,903
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.