Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Medina Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
hey, tax payers YOU get to help ME buy a new car?!?? WTF

The government is trying to stimulate the economy, while replacing gas-guzzlers with more fuel-efficient vehicles.

It's part of the Cash-For-Clunkers bill, which was approved in the House Tuesday.

The legislation as proposed would provide vouchers of up to $4,500 for people to trade in their vehicles for new ones that getter better gas mileage.

"Obviously if the government can provide incentives to enhance new car sales, we're in favor of it," said Jerry Brickner, co-owner of Brickner's of Wausau car dealership.

Your car would have to be registered for at least one year (to prevent consumers from buying a junkyard car for cheap and then trading it in right away), and get 18 miles per gallon or less.

Buy a new car that has four mpg better than your old one and get a $3,500 voucher. Go ten mpg better and receive $4,500.

"The rebates would be great. I imagine they'd take the clunkers off the market then. Anytime you can put 3 or 4,000 down, that's gonna reduce your payments by $100 to 150," Brickner said.

Clunkers would head straight to auto salvage operators.

Though engines and transmissions would be destroyed so they couldn't be reused, the rest could be re-sold for parts or scrapped for metal.

"It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's a great idea," said Terry Yarish, a salesman at Yaeger Auto Salvage in Schofield.

Though business may spike initially, Yarish has his doubts about the program.

"If we take all these old cars off the road, then who are we gonna sell parts for older cars to?"

Some critics fear scrapped vehicles will go into landfills, further damaging the environment. But not so, according to Yarish, who says cars can be 100 percent recycled.

"An automobile is probably the most recycled thing on the planet," he said.

If the bill is passed there will likely be some takers, but not everyone can afford a brand new vehicle...$4,500 voucher included or not.

As proposed, Cash-For-Clunkers would be in effect for just one year.

Meat is Murder
tasty, tasty murder
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy Moly! What a way to revive the term "Welfare Cadillac!"

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
M
Medina Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am completely baffled at this. Just how in the hell is it supposed to work??
You have to buy from a dealer owned by us the tax payers?
I see the bars...I'm just trying to figure out if I'm on the inside, or the outside of the loony bin.

Meat is Murder
tasty, tasty murder
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lets go print some more money that we never have to pay back.. yeah right...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
GW had a similar program awile back. My brother-in-law got a $3500 tax credit for buying a Prius hybrid. That was a year or two before $4 a gallon gas. CB

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Medina
I see the bars...I'm just trying to figure out if I'm on the inside, or the outside of the loony bin.

I love it !!!

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The price of cars just went up $4500.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if I sell the Turbo and buy a GT3, I can get $3500......................good deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just wonder how this is legally justified...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How do we qualify?

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now who is going to pay for this or are they just going to print the money?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya'll jus' continue putting down de' Po' Man.

...........Damn Honkie's gave me one with a grease stain on the armrest, some fast food artifact.

Oppression in it's purest form, like what my Mullah says.

You'll all PAY for this,.....someday.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Without getting into the absurdity of having a federal program to do this in the first place, the fine print on this makes it hard to take advantage of.

Getting the handout requires that the vehicle you trade in be rated under 18 mpg combined, which is to say nearly every old truck or SUV will qualify but the only cars that do so are the domestic V8 boats.

If the replacement vehicle is a car, it needs to be rated 4 mpg higher than the trade in for $3500 or 10 mpg higher for $4500. So unless your starting point was a big block Suburban, the $4500 will only apply to hybrids or sardine cans.

If the replacement is a truck (and in EPA parlance that includes vans and SUVs), you only need a 2 mpg improvement for $3500 and 5 mpg for $4500.

The bill also requires your old car be crushed, so the government handout is in place of your trade in, not in addition to it.

The way I see it this is a minor windfall for folks who were in the market for a new vehicle to begin with and have an old truck collecting dust as a spare vehicle. And pretty much unuseable for anyone else.

This won't save any gas, because the trucks traded in were parked and not using any to begin with. People who daily drive their $2K beaters do it because they can't afford 20 grand for a new one. Uncle Sugar turning that into a $3.5K beater isn't gonna change that.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Might not be a bad time to invest in a mid 80s V8 clunker that you can probably buy for less than $500. It's a cheap hedge against stupidity.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The whole Gomerment schemes are stupid, I mean STUPID. There are a LOT of older folks on SS that could't begin to afford one of the new "Green" cars whether they wanted or not. It is fine to try to reduce emissions. The problem as I see it, what about the rest of the world? I mean EVERY Country. Why does the USA have to clean up the world when 70% of the world could care less and pollutes. Why is it the Gooberment even THINKS we can clean up the Atmosphere when other Countries could care less?
It is simply another Gooberment Guilt trip expecting us to fix the world. Sorry world... get on board.. don't expect me to clean up the crap you spew into the air.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chevy 1/2 ton trucks won't qualify - even 4wd ones. Even my 2007-1/2 Chevy 1/2 ton extra cab 4wd had a sticker EPA rating of 20mpg.....which tells you how absurd the sticker is.

They did this in the 70's during the gas crunch. More muscle cars and future classic cars were crushed in CA. I remember seeing pictures of piles of mustangs/camaros/cuda's etc.....waiting to be crushed that would be worth a fortune today.

Reminds me of people who last year were selling cars/trucks to buy a brand new one that got 10mpg better than their old one....and people wonder why the US has a credit/money/math problem.

So this is how it goes...the US auto industry collapsed because consumers in the US are broke - not just broke but flat broke. They ran out of cash a long time ago. Then they ran out of credit so they couldn't buy new cars. So now the government owns the car companies they have to come up with some sort of program to make you actually go out and buy a car. It all makes sense now.

I did hear an interesting take on the radio tonight. Everyone knows the reason a car maker can't make just trucks/suv's which actually sell and they actually make money on in the US is because of fleet mileage standards. Meaning they have to sell vehicles that get 40mpg that nobody wants to buy so they can sell trucks/Suv's.

This one guys call in was for a car company to just make trucks/Suv's and buy those stupid cars from India that gets 75mpg and doesn't cost squat. Then the car company could import them and give them away as a package with a truck and drive it off a cliff or whatever lol. Voila - you just make vehicles you make a profit on.

Last edited by NathanL; 06/10/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh boy - now I can trade in that nasty, evil Goat for a Prius -----NOT!!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Why are vouchers OK for purchasing a car - but considered evil when trying to get a kid a better education?

Everyone that voted for this POS must be very proud right about now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone that voted for this POS must be very proud right about now.

You mean clueless don't you?

The misguided heads of those that put Obama in office are still in denial of their mistake.........They are equipped with blinders so that when the fog of Obama's constant mistakes lift, they will still be clueless!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Just another dumbass idea by the Inept One.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,675
Posts18,513,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.