Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zack Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Anyone here tried shooting castbullets in a 223? Is it worth it? I bought a 223 CZ this last winter I really like to shoot. I've got some good accurate jacketed loads worked up but would maybe like to play with some cast bullets. Might be something to squirrel hunt with and generally plink around with. Also, with the reduced loads, it wouldn't heat the barrel up near as much. I'm already set up to cast and size for pistol so would only have to buy a mold and sizing die. So, is it worth it? Can any decent accuracy be had out of a 1 in 12 barrel with cast bullets or would I be better off buying jacketed FMJs or pulls for 4 cents a piece? River Boy

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was going to use cast bullets in reduced loads in my 223 for squirrel hunting. I could not cast my own at the time and had to look about for buying some. I found some but the quality was very inconsistent.

My continuing research led me to the conclusion that 22 bullets are HARD or VERY difficult to cast and get very consistent bullets and not much in demand. I looked into casting my own and found even FEWER moulds. I'd basically have to custom order a mould. (I was not THAT serious about it....)

With the few types of cast bullets I obtained I never could get them to group well. Mostly patterns.

I then started looking at jacketed bullets for reduced loads for squirrel hunting. I found several recipes that worked extremely well and I was getting excellent accuracy.

I contacted Sierra, and they had some great advice about reduced loads. They also said that their hollow point 22 cal bullet in 40gr should not expand explosively at the below reduced load recipe.

My go to bullet is a speer 46gr Flat Point.(puts a nice 30 cal hole in and out...) Pushed by 6 grains of Unique in a 223 case behind a regular primer.
I also got great accuracy with 45, 50, and 55 gr bullets. 60 grainers are too heavy, long etc... won't stabalize, poor accuracy and keyholing.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Z
zack Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hay Blammer. I think your right. Kinda comfirmed what I've been thiking and believe I'll limit my bullet casting to pistol. There is a reputable company on the web that is selling gas check cast 224s but they want 6cents a piece for them. I can buy 46Winchester hollow points for that. Also, I've got a line on some folks in St. Lou selling FMJ pulls for 2.6cents a piece. Think I'll try some of them out for cheap plinking. Zack

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot cast bullets in a .222 Remington , which is mighty similar to your .223. The shooting was from a Remington 788 woth a 24 inch barrel.

The mold is an old single cavity Lyman...a spitzer, 49 grain gaschecked bullet (224450)which I had originally thought would perform poorly. However:

Reloader 7 was my favorite. 12 grains gave me .875 MOA, 1.25 MOA, and 2.0 MOA in three different tries with 10 shots at 100 yards (using a 6 power scope). My best load for jacketed was .625 MOA. 13 grains was similar to the 12.

Using Unique, I managed 5.0 grains to shoot 1.75 MOA and 2.375 MOA in ten round clusters.

4759 was the worst, getting nothing better than 3 inches, and often 6 inches.

I never did measure the velocity. I am assuming that the bullet was travelling around 1600 fps...the usual "most accurate" velocity for a cast bullet from a rifle. I would think that a Loverin design bullet might be a tad more accurate...and weighing no more than 55 grains.

Good luck. Now you have whetted my appetite...I will have to re-shoot that rifle.

rooster

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,106
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.