Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys and gals,<P>I was wondering how many Arizonan's are on this web site. lets give a profile and take count of how many of us there are. I'll start.<BR>I am youngbuckaz86, I am from Mammoth, I have hunted since I was allowed to hunt, around 9. I love hunting anything that moves. I am the first to post on this topic. who's next<BR>1<P>ybaz86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I grew up in Yuma, then CA and back to Ajo for 11 years<P>I've lived in the Grand Jct. CO area for about 2 years...and I'm convinced that AZ has higher concentrations of elk.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Howdy!<P>Moved to Tucson in '72. Started hunting when I was 28. I am a H.S. shop teacher, currently auto. <P> The elk are being thinned out. Far fewer now than 5 years ago. a high number of permits have been issued. <P> FYI the dove hunt last weekend, was good. Most whitewings I have ever seen, out near Redrock.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ross, <BR>there you go rubbing it in...I really do miss the AZ dove hunting.<BR>Dove hunting in this part of Co sucks!!! <BR>They raise peaches, pears, grapes and etc. No grains to draw the birds in.<BR>What a waste...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hi guys. I'm from Mesa. Don't like to argue with anyone, but the Elk population in AZ is between 30,000 and 65,000 depending on whether you listen to the G&F or the ranchers and farmers. The Elk population in Colorado is conservatively given at between 200,000 and 400,000. It would be kind of tough to consider the concentration in AZ higher. I think what is higher is the visibility. There aren't so many wilderness areas that are amenable to Elk and Elk herds, but there isn't anywhere near the free range water that they have in Colorado either. So .... [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

Dan in Arizona
IC B2

C
C
Hello, I was born and raised in Prescott.<BR>Our biggest elk problem are the cattle ranchers that want them all dead! A lot of<BR>theses guys are on the Game & Fish board.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What I'm saying is that in AZ & CO, that if you go to the spots where you are going to see Elk, like Lake Mary & Mormon Lake for instance. That you will see me elk there than a comparable spot in CO and that if you are hunting then it is easier to get into elk and you will see more elk, when you get into them, in AZ. <P>Of course CO has way more elk, but I believe densities are higher in parts of AZ. I'll put some parts of AZ against anywhere in the nation for elk densities. (elk per square mile).<P>An example...I've only seen ONE, read that ONE!!! herd of Elk in CO (15 or more animals at a time) and that was 54 at La Veta Pass. Navaho Army Depot (west of Flag) has more than 5 herds of 75 or more. I know that from pulling MP duty there w/the National Guard. I camped in Rocky MOuntain National park, for 2 nights and saw, about, a whole 25 elk, in those 2 days. I came back to AZ and saw 125 just outside of Flag, in one spot. Drive across the rim, on US 260 from 10p-6a and see how many elk you see. <P>I'm just saying that I've never seen those #'s of elk here, like I've seen in any of those above spots.<P>BTW., I went to HS w/a guy that got convicted of shooting elk on his ranch near Prescott.

C
C
Slinky<P>I remember that, Out in Campwood NW of Prescott the rancher took a mini 14 and punched holes in the lungs of 7 branch antlerd elk. They convicted him, but in my book he got off light. <BR>One day that herd will be a great one.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You can count me as a wannabe Arizonian. I've tried to move there more than once, but the circumstances have prevented it. Cactus, heat, snakes, mesas, ravines, mountains, lakes, history, I love all of it. I'm going to be the one to find that lost mine in the Superstitions.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Kaibab, that statement about the Lost Dutchman Mine. Sure brought on a flashback. Don't think I've even heard that name mentioned, since the old "Bill Burrid" Treasure Hunt shows of the mid 1965's.<P>Phil

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Greyghost: I read a book on the Lost Dutchman Mine a few years ago. A guy offered me a deal on an authentic map showing its location for only $20.00. Not having a gullible bone in my body and being very smart I exchanged a Dead President for the map on the spot. Shows right where it is. I just need to find the time to get over there, and hike right to it.<P>Now, if you're saying to yourself, "I've got to sell this guy the Brooklyn Bridge or some Florida swamp land.", come on over. Maybe we can swing a deal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 9 invisible), 14,381 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,992
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.