Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ever check your cold bore shot? It can be rather interesting.This is from my .257 Bob Kimber,117 RN,Varget.It seems consistent,as this is the third time I've done it.The entire 5 shot group was shot in about 45 minutes. [Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Is the shot that is high your cold bore shot?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that a fouled cold bore or a "clean" cold bore shot?

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes,the high/left is a cold shot,fouled....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Is that a fouled cold bore or a "clean" cold bore shot?

Dat's EXACTLY what I was gonna ask...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your rifle should NOT be doing that. I'm not good enough to tell you if it's the bedding, barrel, etc... or something else. But what I can tell you is that if it's a rifle you really care about and like to take afield, you should have someone that knows their stuff take a look at it and help you diagnose (and remedy) whatever it is that's causing that.

-WGM-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
5 shots in 45 minutes would tend to make one think it wasn't a heat issue, obviously...

Wierd! Is the rifle just sitting on the sandbag the whole time, or are you setting it aside and shooting other rifles? My Kimber is very sensitive to how it's bagged. Little changes can move things around. Are you, perhaps, changing your rest somehow between the shots??

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And some rifles shoot 1 1/2" groups. And kill lots of stuff.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If the problem is clean, that's easy to fix: hunt with a dirty bore. If the problem is cold, you're screwed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine did that................it's gone.No time for that nonsense.Something is wrong somewhere,and I don't waste any time or energy trying to "analyze" those problems anymore.If they don't shoot to my expectations,they go down the road.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/04/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The rifle is a Kimber Select in .257 Bob.I've had 4 range sessions with it now and the last three have done this.
Once I set up the rest and bags,I shoot the Cold Bore,and then as my normal routine,I have a handgun or .22 to plink with.As you can see,heat seems to be it's friend.The barrel has only had 30 rounds down it now.I cleaned it when I got it home,after 15 and started last night after the last shot.The screws are tight, as is the scope and mounts.
I'm not real worried about it yet, that shot would easily kill a deer.This is my first run using Varget,so I may try my old standard of 4350 on next weeks trip.

Come on America,

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Here's the set up.I NOT giving up on it yet.There are lot's of recipes to try for the Bob.

Come on America,

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my savage will do something similar with a cold "clean" bore but once the bore is fouled it is good to go. That is why once hunting season starts, I foul the bore and do not clean it again until after season ends.

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My model seven in 7mm08 would do that until I rebarreled it with a pac nor and improved it. I checked old targets and the first shot (flyer) on all of the old targets made a 1 inch or less group. It was consistant. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

this is after about 5 rounds. the first shot is the one to the left the group on the right is the next 4 w/o cooling, about 1 second spacing.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Check the barrel channel. Odds are, you've got contact (or VERY close to it) somewhere. Get that out of there.

Seat the bullet into the lands. Remove a variable.

Have the bedding checked, and/or redone.

That is a beautiful rifle, btw.

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just noticed my camera was enlarging everything.It might not be all that bad...LOL

Come on America,

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a Ruger 30.06 that just started doing this. I recently cleaned the bore very thoroughly and my first shot is a flyer about 2.5 inches to the right of center. My next five shots will group fine. I have tested this three times and it does this each time. I used to put a little Hoppes on a bore snake to clean the bore and never had a problem. What the heck? Maybe it is back to the bore snake?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Wild cold and clean shots can be attributed to solvents and oils left in the bore. Cold and dirty fliers seem to be more attributed to a old shooter.

Next time you hit the range do some dryfiring before you shoot and watch your crosshairs. Dont let a round go until your crosshairs are not moving when the firing pin drops and I bet your first shot flier goes away.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I will give that a try.
Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 37 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.