Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob send the ones you have left over to me..no really ,go ahead.I will give them a good home.LMAO

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It is said of the Ruger 10/22 that it has so much in the way of after market parts and add-ons available for it BECAUSE IT NEEDS IT the same can be said to be true for Remington 700s�

Whoop-de-doo, the military uses them�back in the sixties Winchester was the Army�s supplier of National Match etc. target bolt actions that got converted to sniper rifles for use in Vietnam so Remington, in truly brilliant business fashion donated X number of rifles to the Marine Corps to use to compete against their competitor�When the armourers got through with the 700ADLs supplied other then the name on the side of the gun nothing remained the same�stock opened up and bedded and glassed, action completely rebuilt with major trigger job, heavy contour varmint barrel installed etc�

Originally Posted by atkinson
I have always been relatively sour on Remingtons, they ain't got control feed, I don�t' trust the triggers, and they�s cheap look'en smile..but that�s just a personal opine on my part one of the few rights, as an American, I still have since old big ears stepped up to the plate and spent all my kids inheritance.

I, also, much prefer a CRF rifle as well and with Cerberus buying out Dakota maybe Remington will have one in their line-up other then the Mauser tribute rifles which was my I.D.F. issue weapon (K98 Sniper version) during the Yom Kippur War�

Originally Posted by devnull
Gone sour here. Newer Remingtons are out of time, don't feed as reliably and don't have the fit and finish of the older Remingtons. Also, for the prices Remington is commanding, give me a custom Remington clone that's trued out of the gate.

Originally Posted by devnull
Lastly, seeing all of these issues on the LTR has made me create a line in the sand not to purchase any more Remingtons. If they need this much work to be fixed, I might as well buy a Stiller, Pierce, Borden, Surgeon, etc.

Do they make a working class rifle and are they the basis for lots of custom builds, most certainly�BUT there are lots of other makers producing the same�actually better quality guns for the working stiff at the same price point-- Sako, Savage and also Ruger and for a custom job it�s only good to go after spending big bucks to get it trued, blued and screwed, filed, adjusted, blueprinted and you MUST install a new trigger--maybe a new bolt and then it�s OK but only then�

If I buy a $300 action and have to spend $700 smithing it to be adequate to work in my BR rifle just like a $1,000 Stiller, Borden, Nesika Bay etc. action , then why don�t I just buy the custom action for $1,000*** and be done with it, not have to have anything done to it�Lots of the custom models state they are the dimensions of the Remington action so they can then be mounted into proprietary stocks made for the Remmy but lots of stock makers produce stocks that fit most actions (maybe not quite drop in) with a little work and all actions with some work�(***Prices posted are for illustration purposes only and not actual, OK, before somebody jumps down my throat)

Originally Posted by Foxbat
As I mentioned earlier, the 2003-mid 2006 Remington's are not representative of what has been coming out the last 3 years. Every Remington built since late 2006 that I have owned and or handled has been palpably better in QC than what came out that prior 3 years.

I bet all of these guys busting on newer Remington's hasn't owned a single M700 built since 2007.

Why would I? If I go into seven different guns stores and check out the same model rifle in each store and each one is crap would I assume it is a stores� conspiracy or shoddy manufacturing by the gun maker�

How do I Know that it�s a post or pre 2007 gun�Is there a flag or sticker I should be looking for because I sure can�t tell by the serial number unless I pay for a number search at Remington or get a general idea to span from a couple of other online site but they�ll say from 2005 to 2008 or something alone those lines�

EDIT -- Sorry, composed this before reading of the made stamp by the serial number�is it simple like Feb07 or 02/07 or B/7 like that or a special code that you need to know by getting it off the internet?

Also, why after late 2006? What happened then to cause the massive turnaround? I ask because Cerberus didn�t acquire it until April 2007 and any changes to quality control wouldn�t/couldn�t have happened until, earliest, September/October 2007?

Originally Posted by LOCKNLOAD
This has got to be one of the funniest threads I have read on here in a long time. Remingtons are the # 1 gun made. Imports are just that-imports. More 870's and 700's sold than any gun in history!!
Just check with all the so-called "big time" benchrest shooters, 90 percent build on 700 actions. All of those on here that don�t like Remingtons, please, box them up and send them to me. I will pay for shipping.

What started out as a 700 action and became a BR action after spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on it�it�s like saying that all hot rods are Fords when only the front body is and the rest is custom built�As to your 90%, I think you�d better recheck your facts�that they are in a large percentage of the guns is true but 10% of the market place would never be able to support all the other, major, custom action makers out there�BUT, again, only the shell is original, the rest is all replaced so is that truly a Remington action or not??? Last BR shoot I was at had 118 shooters and next to their names in the roster was the rifle/action/barrel/scope they were using and going through it now, I count 37 700s and 9 40s = 46 shooters or 39.98% ( 31.35 & 7.62)

The other thing I don�t get is this fascination for the 870 shotgun�I�m not saying it�s not a good gun, as it is, but Jesus H. Christ there are other gun makers out there making pump actions and I�m not referring to that POS Mossberg 500 or it supposed improved version the 590 either�They have only one major factor going for them�price! Sure, you can get all these other stocks and barrels etc. by non OEM makers for the 500/590/870 that aren�t available for the Ithaca Model 37, the Benelli Nova and Super Nova or the Browning BPS or older Winchester 1200, Weatherby, Charles Daly, Marlin et al and it is of course based on the popularity of those three and I really, truly, wish that those makers would consider the other makes and models but I look at it like the comments about the Ruger 10/22�The other companies don�t have all these bells and whistles available, because they don�t really need them to work properly and the trio does!!!

I abhor pump actions so it doesn�t really apply to my wants or needs but I just wish that people would take their blinders off regarding the damn trio�Now, their 1100 and 11-87 are another matter all together, at one time they ranked the highest amongst semi auto ownership that was until new technology came about and companies like Beretta, Benelli started to embrace it, Winchester with their X, Browning and others and now you rarely even see an ad in a sporting journal about them�Their doubles, O/U or SxS and their Parker models are made out of country by other makers so do Remingtons they make just because the Big Green has put the guns in their boxes and slapped a name of them?

I�m not talking about having a designer allow a company to use their design�under license�like Remington and Winchester did with J.M. Browning�s work but in Remington case, just taking an European makers model�maybe, just maybe, change the drop of heel and/or comb and package it as a Remington O/U or SxS�

Do I own any Remington�s, yes; rifles, shotguns and rimfires and I probably won�t buy any more but I would prefer having my guns now built by custom or semi custom houses and would take some other makers like Ruger, Savage, Sako, Thompson/Center, SIG, FN, Steyr/Mannlicher, Mauser, Heym, Merkel, J.P. Sauer, Blaser, Krieghoff, Merkel etc. build my guns�

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks
if you make certain inanimate objects illegal
their criminal misuse will disappear!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am definitely not sour on Remingtons, they, like all the rest, have had periodic issues, but I prefer them in the varmint guns....which is to say they get WAY more shooting than the rest of the rack....I like 'em, but am getting real disenchanted with their prices......there are so many other rifles out there now, competitively priced, built well and accurate, for the Remingtons to maintain market share.
And like many have pointed out...seems like the older ones were nicer...
JMHO...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would like to amend my previous post wherein I stated that I don't like Remington rifles for dangerous game as they don't have the control feed that is important to me.

My amendment is I don't mind the Remington guns in varmint rifles, and I like the 870 shotguns, and my Remington M-51 .380 auto pistol is a cutey...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would like to amend my previous post wherein I stated that I don't like Remington rifles for dangerous game as they don't have the control feed that is important to me.

My amendment is I don't mind the Remington guns in varmint rifles, and I like the 870 shotguns, and my Remington M-51 .380 auto pistol is a cutey...

I like the old REm. 700 Mountain rifle also for deer etc..I don't have one but they are nice..I think I would replace the triggers in any 700 as they have had too many law suits on that trigger to suit me.

IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,552
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.