-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you read the article in the July '09 Amer Hunter about shooting through the window screens in ground blinds? He compares bullets, shotguns pellets, and broadheads.

He shot 3 broadheads, 1 fixed blade (Thunderhead) and 2 mechanicals (Rage and 1st Cut). Admittedly, this isn't a comprehensive test and it only applies to these 3 heads. He tested them at 25 yds.

The Thunderhead lost some accuracy but was still within reason at 25 yds. The mechanicals had a serious problem - premature opening. They would sometimes open going through the screen which really screwed up accuracy. And a bigger problem - they only opened part of the time and he couldn't predict when they would. His average group sizes with the mechanicals was more than double the group size without the mesh.

His recommendation was if you want to shoot through mesh, do a lot of shooting with your head,mechanical or fixed, before you try hunting with them. He couldn't possibly test them all and other brands might work a lot better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wonder how field tips would perform? Just wondering if it's the broadhead or the paradox of the arrow hitting the mesh?

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried shooting through the mesh on my blind.......the mesh is not in the shooting window now.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Blind mesh screens are a PITA and completely unneccessary, IMO-
I think they are mostly a marketing gimmick.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nclonghunter
Wonder how field tips would perform? Just wondering if it's the broadhead or the paradox of the arrow hitting the mesh?

Unless you have a cutting edge on your plastic fletching, it's going to snag. I kind of doubt that feathers will get through it without some leading end hangups, but I'd have to try it to be sure.

Wonder how field tips would perform? Just wondering if it's the broadhead or the paradox of the arrow hitting the mesh

He got noticably different results when the heads opened so it has to be the heads or both, or the fletching, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 61 invisible), 3,298 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.