Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's months away until deer season here and I'm doing some planning. In the movie "A Christmas Story" it's stated the kid year evolves around Christmas. For me it evolves around deer season. smile My son and I spend a week together during firearm antlered deer season here in WV.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man last year I didn't get down to the lower 48 for whitetails, and this year 'm in Afghanistan and won't get to hunt at hom ein AK, but I scheduled my mid tour leave for late OCT thru early NOV in georgia, at my parents house in the mountains, just so I could shoot a couple deer. My kid is 5 and he's all pumped too, his grandpa got him a youth muzzle loader that he loves, so maybe he gets his first deer this fall too we'll see. Yeah i can't wait...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've been feeling the same way 24-7-365 since i was 10 yaers old.

What's "Crackin" Yo ?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, we scored our elk tags in early March, and our group held its first logistics gathering this last Saturday to plan schedules and meals. I'll be out from Oct 13 through the 31st, so it takes some planning. 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'll be deer hunting in less than 3 weeks, sure it's gonna be 100+ degrees and miserable, but i'll still out there, lovin' every minute of it.

~backcounty hunting the west~
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm ready. Trying to figure out how to get the first 20 years of my life back before I started deer hunting. Fruitless I know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For us it starts with dove season in early Sept.

Disking, fertilizing & planting in early October-and squirrel Hunting! My son starts Bow Hunting now also. After 26 years I gave it up.

In Mid November we start hunting whitetails and waterfowl and don't stop until the last week of january!

In between is a butt load of work and money spent to do this and I enjoy every minute of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got a major trip to the range planned for this Sunday, and that will start things off for us. I don't get as worked up as I used to, but lately I've been thinking about deer season quite a bit.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Daughter has a premium plains tag and I should have my Iowa archery tag. Pretty fired up about deer this year. Have some elk and antelope distractions to get over first though....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The deer on my son's farm are following their usual pattern, and on his girl friend's farm, with the extra water in the swamp, the deer are returning to their old bedding grounds.

I have been scouting in the Osceola National Forest as well as down south in the Ocala forest. Lots of sign, and I have a good knowledge of both of those areas.
They have always produced for me in the past, and should this year.

I always get anxious waiting for football season and general gun season. smile

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im very worked up for this year got a missouri hunt planned and scored an awesome lease down here. On top of everything else I got a couple of new customs to try out
Dustin

Last edited by dc3483; 06/23/09.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
it can not come soon enough. it's funny, but this past week i have been thinking alot about this deer season and then i see this post. now i'm thinking about it even more.

hey dave, where you at in wv. i'm in lewis county.

jake

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We are actually putting out supplemental food right now during the antler growing / fawn rearing season. If you check out the weather channel 10 day forecast for San Antonio, you will see we are already in a drought in June.
We have been hunting pigs all year while working/scouting at the ranches.
We will start shredding and discing and planting during dove season in late Sept., then start seriously getting everything just right by Mid Oct. Youth season starts late Oct. and then we hunt does thru Jan. I gave up bows several years ago, but sometimes I really miss it. I don't miss the Oct TX heat and the bugs when I am trying to remain scent free and still.

stumpy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aside from going on my very first archery/bull elk hunt in CO, a mulie hunt with a college friend and my 14 year old daughter in CO, an antelope hunt in WY, my 14 year old daughter is #26 on the Oryx population management hunt in NM, and we top it off with a three generation youth hunt for mulie's with my two daughters (first hunt for the 11 year old) and my dad (74 years old) in AZ Thanksgiving week, I'm not really thinking a whole lot about hunting this year. smile

Last edited by remfak; 06/23/09.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I start in 4 weeks for the sitka blacktails. I've been watching some good ones through the spotting scope the last few weeks up in the alpine..

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jake, Im in Putnam Co. (Hurricane) but I have hunted several seasons in Lewis Co. (Alum Bridge area). The last rwo seasons my son & I hunted Jackson & Cabell counties.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
1minute, for breakfast I fixed a quick and easy meal my son and I enjoyed last season. Grease a baking dish and put a layer of frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed), cover with cooked sausage (one tube of bulk), a dozen eggs (beaten), and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 40-45 min. You can refrigerate it and get what you want and heat it as needed. This year I think I'll add sausage gravy over it. It can be cooked at home and taken to camp. BTW, we have killed more with a skillet than a musket in the south. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking very forward to this season. I've had several great seasons with Dad (Dave in WV) and the last couple were about as good as they've ever been. I just got back from the range where I shot my M99EG, if that doesn't make you think of deer hunting then I don't know what will!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
i actually hunt about 10 minutes from alum bridge going east on 33. small world. picked up some shells today. it will be cold before we know it fellas.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm completely with you, Dave.

Here in Michigan our regular firearm season lasts only 15 days so it is almost anti-climactic.

We do have a nice muzzle loading season that lasts nearly the whole month of December and that is nice.

Yeah that is the center of my year, too. I'm constantly thinking about where to hunt, poring over maps searching for new spots, etc.

This year I'm starting early with an October ML hunt in the Smokies of North Georgia! VERY exciting, as I've never deer hunted out of state before!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 76 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,433
Posts18,528,595
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.