24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Specifically with a scoped handgun.

Considering the long eye relief required with the gun held at arms length, has anyone had any trouble with a low sun at your back reflecting off the ocular lens?

I'm intelligent enough to know I'll never be genius and I'm OK with that.
I live vicariously through my own memories.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not to the degrees with irons....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a handgun only hunter from 1989 until 2004 when I had another injury that precluded that activity. All my handguns were scoped. I had that happen a few times with a low end scope (Tasco) but never with a Leupold or Nikon. I purchased a set of trasparent yellow lens caps for the Tasco and the flair stopped.
All of the scopes I had mounted on my.41s were low powered 1.5X or 2X so I didn't have to take a fully extended arm grip which caused my shadow to cover the scope in low light coming from behind. I never had any problems with any of the red dot or helo sights I had mounted.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
haven't had that problem yet

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Same here..no problems at all. I did have one "odd" thing happen however.

Was still hunting a dry creek bed in Texas and saw a 6 point ahead of me feeding in my direction. I was right in the middle of the creekbed with nowhere to hide so I just sat down. The deer went into a little grove of trees about 30 yards ahead of me in the shade.. I could see the deer quite clearly feeding behind a small bus but when I looked through the two power Leupold scope the deer just disappeared...I could still see the bush and the trees behind the deer but it was like the Vampire in the mirror, though the glass the deer was just invisible.

Finally after about ten minutes of this game the deer just came out of the shade and started walking directly toward me with the wind blowing directly from me to the deer. Touched off the round at 30 FEET and the deer dropped right there...

Still have no clue why I could see every detail under the shaded area through the scope but the deer...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love a scope for all kinds of work but gave up on them for hunting. I hunt mostly from tree stands and in the mornings and evenings when it gets dim, I can't see the cross hairs or deer at all. I found the original black hole! Long eye relief scopes just don't work like a rifle scope in dim light. If I wait for full sun, the deer are long gone.
I went to the Ultra Dot and will never look back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted some with a couple of handguns but only used the iron sights. I used a 6 inch barrel Colt Python .357 mag and a model 29 Smith & Wesson with 8&3/8th's barrel in 44 magnum. Both did OK on whitetail deer in the woods. Most shots were under 30yds and the 44 mag had the upper hand over the .357 caliber.

I now have a Smith & Wesson .460 caliber and it is at least 2 steps ahead of the 44 magnum. I generally shoot the 240 grain bullets at around 1600fps to 1900fps. I may end up taking it elk hunting this year up in Colorado, using heavier bullets around 300 grain.

Last edited by Tonk; 06/22/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Andy,

If you're concerned with flare you can put a sunshade on the scope. I haven't had the trouble you describe with scopes, but sometimes a bright sun behind me will make a red dot fade out. An inch or two of sun shade solves the problem. In cheap guy mode, even a short piece of bike tire inner-tube stretched over the scope will work.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer open sights on my revolvers i hunt with and only use a scope on my Encore Pistol in 7mm-08. I have never had a problem, but i use Leupold Pistol Scopes when i use a scope on a handgun. Much more fun to get closer and use open sights. Last deer i took was with my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with 4-3/4 inch barrel. I prefer shorter barrels on my hunting handguns.
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice! That same model is my woods (and sometimes town) carry gun. I haven't whacked a deer with it yet but got one with a similar .44 mag vaquero. Sure is handier than a rifle when you need both hands to claw your way up out of ravines or through brush, huh?

I have several scoped handguns I spend a lot of time with working up loads and so on but when hunting day comes I seem to leave them behind in favor of iron sights. The improved accuracy with the scope usually isn't as important as the better handling of a handgun with irons. 50-75 yards dead is 50-75 yards dead. Before I get to distances the optical sights help, I also need sandbags and a bench.

... but we're all a little different. Handgun hunters more different than most and usually proud of it!!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Since you're in SW NH, you might try stopping by Trader John's in Winchester and tapping that the experience/expertise of the guys that hang out there and BS about such things.

Jeff

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never had that problem.

OP Offline
Thanks for all the input and feedback!

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Since you're in SW NH, you might try stopping by Trader John's in Winchester and tapping that the experience/expertise of the guys that hang out there and BS about such things.

Jeff

I've been by there several times. Mostly to stock up on reloading supplies. I've purchased a several guns there too. I never got the impression anyone was open for a BS session or small talk there.

The atmosphere is much nicer at Pelletier's in Jaffrey or State Line Guns in Mason.

Last edited by Andy_in_NH; 06/24/09.

I'm intelligent enough to know I'll never be genius and I'm OK with that.
I live vicariously through my own memories.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I only have a 32" sleeve length. Never found a handgun scope that had reasonable eye relief for me. Got a good quality red dot. My world of handgun hunting is now a better place. Much faster and more accurate. Plus my arms aren't extended as far as they will go.

Too old to suffer fools

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,860
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.