Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Originally Posted by burner
I wouldn't have a problem putting the dog down myself...I have a problem with stringing them up, shooting them six times each in the head, then bragging about it to my co-workers the next day around the water cooler so we can all have a good laugh.

Yes Sir, sometimes unplesant jobs are necessary. There should be no pride, pleasure or praise for doing them though.

If all the facts are correct this does not seem to be a necessary task as other courses were easily available.

BCR

Agreed, if the facts are right, he did this for his own pleasure, with the lame-ass excuse of "to avoid paying for boarding" as a cop-out.

My sister's pomeranian is at my house right now. She's at the beach with her husband for a week. I'm sure someone would have watched the dogs -- a neighbor, anyone! My sis didn't say "Ahh, hell, I'll just shoot him, it's cheaper."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bhemry

That being said, there are better ways of handling putting down your dog(s), when necessary, than blowing holes in the basement of your house with a "high power rifle". And his reason for wanting to eliminate the dogs was pretty lame, to put it mildly, with so many other options available. I'll give him this much credit, they probably didn't suffer long with "6 high power rifle shots to the head"- I mean he could've tortured them to death instead.

I think the overkill bugs me more. If he'd have humanely dispatched them with a shot each, and shut his mouth, it's one thing. To shoot them six times, in the head? Hell, I've never owned a dog that would have lasted more than 2 rounds at close range, if properly aimed.

Sounds like he just read too many comic books. Sick puppy, no pun intended.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe he was preparing to become a cop?

Just kidding, don't get the the ropes out, just a joke

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
LMAO, nah, then he'd have shot them 19 times and left a bag of heroin and a throwdown piece at the scene and claimed they shot first.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's no half-way on this.. either you give the government the right to dictate everything about how, when and why you destroy your pet, or you don't. If they'd gotten him for cruelty to animals, I wouldn't have a problem. He was cruel, no denying that. And I can understand the need to protect animals from unreasonable cruelty. Though even there I wonder how long before PETA wins in getting shock collars ruled as unreasonable.

But "needlessly killing ... a companion animal" is absolutely over the line. The government should have no say in when, why or how you put down a pet.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don't like what he did (also he must be a terrible shot - 11 times?!) but it's way better than a neighbor finding them starving while the owner is off on vacay.

This was pretty funny though...
...and one count of possession of a criminal tool -- for taping a 2-liter plastic bottle onto the gun as a makeshift silencer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I'm not happy about the "overkill" either, and especially not about bragging about the deed, but like Calhoun said, you either give the government the right to dictate everything... or you don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The thread title chosen sums it up nicely .

I hope he gets flushed.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somewhere, there is a person walking around who is worse than this one.

Several years ago, while out hunting in a remote area, I found a dead dog. It was a rather large dog, and although decomposed somewhat, it appeared to be some type of long haired bird dog.

Some one had tied a piece of wire around one of it's rear legs and tied the other end of the wire about 4 feet off the ground, with one of the dog's rear legs pulled up and stretched out against the tree.

The dog was then left this way, live, I assume. It would have been much more merceful to have shot the dog.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
see my signature...

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
damn, I must be reading post on the PETA forums! talk about a bunch of bleeding heart liberals! I can't believe what I am reading. I don't condone animal cruelty but killing an unwanted animal-be it dog, deer, skunk, coyote, or whatever-is something that happens all the time in the "real" world and I do not consider it cruelty. So it is cruel to shoot a deer, elk, elephant or whatever more than once?

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tgrif

There is acceptable behavior for Gentlemen and Christians, being a fellow Southerner, I would expect you to know this.

In my mind, people who treat their pets in this manner are neither.

They are usually the same folks who'll shoot game at night, break laws when they feel they don't apply to them and have a low regard for themselves and those around them.

PETA WETA PUMPKIN EATER, this is just about right and wrong. When you kill a pet that trusts you to care for it because you gotta go on vacation, it's wrong.

If you believe that is acceptable behavior, your wrong.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This guy could be the next Mall killer or Freeway shooter.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do agree with you about this guy that shot his dog to go on vacation, and that it took him eleven shots -- that is cruel, and what a piece of crap.

I have shot a bunch of my own dogs though. They were well cared for and got old and crippled, and if you care for them there is a point, where I believe that you are obligated to look out for them -- No big difference in pulling the trigger and and snapping on the leash for the last walk into the vets office. Like Lenny and George in "Of Mice and Men,". But yes, you do owe them one nice clean shot.

That is not cruel, but more humane than seein' if you can keep them lingering for another year IMHO.

There's time when a litter shows up, unexpected, unintended, not at my house (I only owned neutered pets) but I've seen people in this predicament. The humane thing is to try to find homes for some of the mutts, and to put the rest away, peacefully, with one good shot. People that dump 'em along dirt roads to get saved, run over, or starve, are inhumane -- people that know when to shoot them, not nearly as much so. Some say take them to a shelter, and that is an option, but I know 90% of those live in a cage for a while then get gassed, or something lethal. Cute pure bred looking puppies may stand a little better chance, but they also were easier to give away before the shelter became an option. More than likely, a person that takes this route just got the dog catcher to take over their responsibilities though.

There's also dogs I've found along the road and fed and looked out for for a while trying to find a home for them, even kept a few. The best dog I ever owned came to me nearly starved in a foot of snow and below 0 outside. Had to shoot a few too, but not right away, I always put in an effort -- can't keep them all though. I think that was also humane.

Nobody probably ought to hear about most Greyhound breeders, ( I never was one, but know some of them too), The fastest of them get to go to the track -- that's big bucks. You can also keep so many for coyote chasin', there used to be money in that. Takes a lot of pups to find the "magic" race track winning dogs, more than anybody will need for their coyote dump boxes, more than you can give away, but they are your property, just like when you slaughter a steer.

If they suffer, that's one thing -- I don't believe in slaughtering beef by killing them slowly, but I do believe in slaughtering beef, hogs, whatever you are hungry for, or whatever is your property.

There are some weirdo's in this world that do shoot their dog 11 times in the basement so that they can go on vacation, I think that they need their asses kicked, but something that is far more wrong than that, is that there are people out there that think that they should be able to tell you what you can do with your own property, and what the penalties for not doing as they say should be -- They scare me a lot more than this dipschit that had to shoot his dog 11 times through a two liter bottle.

Laws cannot be made on common sense -- these dog laws and such spread to PETA and hunting issues and Vegan issues and on and on. You can not, CAN NOT, be part time Liberal enforcing things for how you feel, regardless of who owns what, and what you think may be wrong, without supporting the whole Chit and caboodle. But you can be a good person that understands why and when some dogs need shot and do the right thing without needing a law for it.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see this as an issue of Big Brother trying to steal our right do what we wish with legally obtained inanimate property.

Civilized folks don't do what this fella did. He is an idiot, and I will not defend idiots using a B.S. Constitutional property rights argument when the vast majority can agree what he did was wrong and he violated just laws and is rightfully going to be prosecuted for his actions.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SevenOaks, the guy wasn't convicted of cruelty to animals. He was convicted of "unnecessarily killing a companion animal".

Who ever gave the government the right to decide when it's okay to kill a "companion animal"? That's the rub.. THEY DO NOT HAVE THAT RIGHT!

Convict the guy of cruelty to animals and move along..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
SevenOaks, the guy wasn't convicted of cruelty to animals. He was convicted of "unnecessarily killing a companion animal".

Who ever gave the government the right to decide when it's okay to kill a "companion animal"? That's the rub.. THEY DO NOT HAVE THAT RIGHT!

Convict the guy of cruelty to animals and move along..

I simply stated he should be prosecuted for his actions. What the DA in this case uses to punish this clown is of small consequence to me.

I'll kick up a stink when the Government infringes on my rights as guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Last time I checked, The right to kill pets on whim is not in there.

Like I said, I'll raise hell at the Government for alot of stuff but putting crap like this fella in jail ain't gonna be one of 'em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear what you are saying, Calhoun.....and it's a valid point, with regard to the gov't.

That said, then I'd like to protect my right to beat the livin' [bleep] out of him when he brags about tying them up and not doing it the respectable way...and we agree.

WhyOwhy did I have to read this chit.....as it slides me into a pizz poor friggin mood.

I'm out.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Man would it be fun to get this dude down and really work him over. You know, beat his ass a while then take a break and discuss with his swollen self why this is happening to him. Then get going again until you are satisfied that he is suffering. I would have no mercy for him.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 78 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.