Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Why do I watch that episode. Do I really want to know what is in a bologna? 70% lean beef, 70% lean pork and the main ingredient: mechanically separated chicken! Salami? Same thing left in bigger chunks mixed with mold and left to ferment a while... Let's take the same mix, throw in olives press it through a square die and make.... olive loaf. Mortadella? Same mix with chunks of fat mixed in. Good grief, my Italian ancestors came up with some nasty stuff to eat! I'll eat Mortadella in an Italian sandwich, but I can't touch the other stuff.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I watched that too,last night.My best friends are Italians.The D'Angelo's.They make their own and have several good recipes, they have shown me how to make.Every one slaughters and hunts their own meat here.Most have smokers.
Its a lot of work but well worth the time and the taste.
You know they told me once that there is very little meat spoilage,over there in their country.As they hang their meat to dry for 6 weeks or more.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Darn, I missed it! My favorite cold cut? Braunschweiger by a country mile! No snoots, no bungs, just pure pig guts! smile

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Packing house (factory) cold cuts and hot dogs equate to whatever hits the floor.....literally. Nothing goes to waste! Add alot of MSG, sodium, and nitrates for rounding out the flavor.

Probably better if we don't know how these are made!!!!

smile

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by 257wby
Darn, I missed it! My favorite cold cut? Braunschweiger by a country mile! No snoots, no bungs, just pure pig guts! smile

Whats your favorite Braunschweiger brand? Every where I go there seems to be a different brand.

IC B2

G
G
My favorite liverwurst, aka braunschweiger, is what ever is in the case. Some old timey butcher shops make their own variety. As long as it isn't laced with strong vinegar!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One of my vices is black pepper encrusted hard salami, sliced thin and served on a Ritz cracker. Put a spread of those on a plate with some salted smoked almonds, hand me a strong gin and tonic dirty with a heavy twist of lime and I'm all set.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nebrcowgirl

Whats your favorite Braunschweiger brand? Every where I go there seems to be a different brand.

For everyday braunschweiger eating, I'll buy John Morrell. Was made just down the road from where I lived when I was growing up. For gourmet braunschweiger, I'll choose Neuske's. Made in a shop in Wi. http://www.nueskes.com/products/pork/Applewood_Smoked_Liver_Sausage.cfm

Where in Ne are you? A few years ago I did a lot of work in the panhandle/ScottsBluff area and they had some killer garlic sausage...I've never seen it anywhere else.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by nebrcowgirl

For everyday braunschweiger eating, I'll buy John Morrell. Was made just down the road from where I lived when I was growing up. For gourmet braunschweiger, I'll choose Neuske's. Made in a shop in Wi. http://www.nueskes.com/products/pork/Applewood_Smoked_Liver_Sausage.cfm

Where in Ne are you? A few years ago I did a lot of work in the panhandle/ScottsBluff area and they had some killer garlic sausage...I've never seen it anywhere else.

Am about 430 miles east then south of Scottsbluff.Am in Steele City,close to Rock Creek Station where James Butler Hickok gunned down David McCanles over a women of course.Here's the history of the story http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NB-RockCreek.html
Am not familiar with the garlic sausage you speak of.But it sounds good.

Last edited by nebrcowgirl; 06/29/09.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Nueskes Apple smoked bacon is simply stellar. Get the slab cust so you can thick slice it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stetson
The Nueskes Apple smoked bacon is simply stellar. Get the slab cust so you can thick slice it.

I used to get by the Neuske store once in awhile and stop in for just a whiff. Then you could buy the bacon ends and pieces in a good sized box...great flavor for a lot less than the slabs. It's the best I've had, for sure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.