Print Thread
Hop To
#3129931 06/28/09
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got one of these for fathers day. Any one have any good dutch oven recipies?

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Line Dutch oven with foil for easy cleaning.

1 package of yellow or white cake mix
2 cans of sliced apples or canned apples
Cinnamon and brown sugar to the taste,I just sprinkle it on,under 4Tbs.

Butter cut into pats about 6-8 pats again to your taste

Pour cans of sliced apples in bottom of dutch oven. Sprinkle cake mix over top of apples, DO NOT STIR! Sprinkle with cinnamon and cut pads of butter and let fall on surface. DO NOT STIR, it will burn. Cover and bake until bubbly and top is lightly browned, about 30-45 min. Any combination of fruits can be use

Breakfast Cinnamon Rolls

24 Rhodes brand frozen bread dough
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts ,pecans, or walnuts or what ever you have on hand.
1/2 cup melted butter
Frosting recommended,put on while hot.

Line a 12-inch Dutch oven with heavy foil and spray generously with cooking spray. Place frozen roll dough in Dutch oven. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts over dough. Drizzle with melted butter. Cover with lid and set aside until morning.Allow to cook for about 40 minutes,350 oven if your not camping out.. Watch them close as each oven is different,or if cooking outside put in the morning, place over hot coals,twice as many on top as on the bottom.
Sitting by a campfire in the early morning,waking up to hot rolls and hot cocoa,whats better then this?

Jack Bread
2 6-oz packages Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup cheddar or jack cheese, shredded
1 cup onion, chopped
1/3 to 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers, finely chopped

Preheat Dutch oven. Mix cornbread per instructions on package. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Place a shallow pan upside down in the Dutch oven and place the pan with the batter on top. Cover oven and cook with 12 coals on top and 9 coals on bottom. Bake for 35 minutes or until done in a 350 oven if your not camping out.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My favorite 1 pot meal in a dutch is a whole chicken, a bag of baby carrots, some sliced onion, small red potatoes, parsnips if I got 'em. line the bottom of the dutch with the metal rings off of canning lids to keep the bird off the bottom. Add half a bottle of beer, put 7-8 coals under, 14-15 on top and dinner is done in an hour and a half. You can sub the bird out for a pork, beef or venison roast too. enjoy.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Aaah!! Dutch oven.
Ingredients:

1 lb Bacon

4 cans of pork and beans

1 tablespoon mustard

1/4 cup catsup

1 onion, chopped

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Cut bacon into 1-2 inch pieces. Heat the Dutch oven and then cook the bacon in the Dutch oven. When done, drain the oil. Add the pork and beans, mustard, catsup, chopped onion, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook in the coals until heated through and bubbling, approximately 30 minutes.

Cheesy potato's

Cook 1 pkg. bacon in DO or frying pan. Remove bacon and chop. Pour bacon grease into DO.
1 5lb. bag of potato's cut into slices with skin on.
1 stick butter
1 large vidalia onion
your choice seasoned salt, season to taste.
cook until potato's are done.
add chopped bacon and one package of shredded cheddar cheese.
stir and add seasoning to taste.

[Linked Image]

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Got one of these for fathers day. Any one have any good dutch oven recipies?
There are three types of Dutch ovens. Which is it? There's the camping type that you are meant to cook with coals on top and bottom. There's the camping type where you are meant to hang it over an open fire, and then there's the type that's meant to be used in a kitchen oven. Does it have legs?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Robster
[Linked Image]
Wow! You've got a lot of Dutch ovens going there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yup, the local boarding stable/beef farm had a 2 hour trail ride followed by a cowboy chuckwagon style meal. Peach cobbler, baked beans, biscuits, and cowboy steaks ended the ride. I was the DO cook, and the owner cooked the steaks. Everyone had a great time and loved the food. He wants to do one for 50 people next and I told him I needed to get more DO's :-)

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
WOW! Looks like got quite a few to try. Goin to the Sierras trout fishin this month, will have to try a few of these then. Hopefully i can perfect a few before hunting season gets here.Thanks for all the recipies. I believe my dutch oven is one you set in coals with coals on top also as that is what they say to do in all the recipies in the instructions.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
MM1 Be sure to read up on how to heat the oven. for 350 degrees with a standard depth 12" diameter DO, you use 12 briquettes on the top in a ring around the outer edge, and same on the bottom, For a deep oven, you add 2" to the diameter for the top only. first time I cooked, I used campfire coals and did not check it and there was a fist size of edible food in the center, the rest was charred ash.
This article explains it well.
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-cooking-tips.htm

good luck and have fun!!!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 2500HD, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,131
Posts18,502,620
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.