Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here was the deal with my wife: She got a remodeled kitchen, and I got the big (575 watt, 6 qt.) KitchenAid mixer. Has anyone used theirs to make sausage or grind hamburger?

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my buddy used his for venison grinding,don't work it too hard or too long,he got 5 deer out of his.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have used the grinding attachment for light work and for extruding pasta. Would not want to go into sausage grinding big time but then I have a 30 qt Hobart for the heavy stuff. That is the big brother to the KitchenAid. You can get a real sausage making equipment at Lehmans

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you have the $$,get the one from Cabelas,you could put a live moose in it antlers first and get good sausage.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by fremont
Here was the deal with my wife: She got a remodeled kitchen, and I got the big (575 watt, 6 qt.) KitchenAid mixer. Has anyone used theirs to make sausage or grind hamburger?

Wow what a great trade for your mate,I bet she is a star in a remodeled kitchen.I have the oster machine, and I have had mine 10 years and I grind all kinds of meat.The lesson is not to send too big of chunks down the hopper,long thin strips work best, and to clean the grease off, I run dry bread thu the hooper,I make lunchmeat,to stuffed sausage.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fremont

I've used mine for the last half dozen deer or so and it's worked well. If you're doing sausage it's a two person job but they turn out well.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one that has outlasted 2 of their mixers. The key is to use the mixer on #2 they say. I say it is to refrain from tightening down on the blades. They should spin freely and not bind. You'll have to open up and pick a little sinew out once in a while, but they won't wear much that way. I destroyed two Cabela's (Thunderbird) grinders, and I'm a bigger fan of Univex for the home processor. They're more bucks but if you can't handle the job with a Kitchenaid, you're going to have to get something good. I'd get a Kitchenaid and have at it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had thought a little about buying one for the fiancee's Kitchen Aide, but reports I have read on here a couple of different times, and through using it in the kitchen mixing stuff, worries me a bit about how well it would hold up.

Dad bought a $50 Chinese made grinder (#22 plate I think?) at the farm store, mounted to a piece of plywood, and attached a 3/4HP motor he had laying in the shop. That thing has ground more deer than I can count in the last 10 years (as well as a couple of Holstein cows with broken legs). It will grind as fast as you can put meat in the throat, which is faster than the packaging crew can work. Bought the stuffing horn for it to fill burger bags and sausage, works well.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
When making sausage it takes a big crew,someone cutting the meat into strips(works best if still par frozen) someone running the grinder,and 2 people running the sausage stuffer.I have a old sausage stuffer from the 1900's.I use sheep guts casing for the sausage.Winter time works best for smoking.Its a lot of work but in the winter time its a good time for friends and family to get together to share in the bounty.I make slim jims with the sausage stuffer too.

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Had thought a little about buying one for the fiancee's Kitchen Aide, but reports I have read on here a couple of different times, and through using it in the kitchen mixing stuff, worries me a bit about how well it would hold up.

Dad bought a $50 Chinese made grinder (#22 plate I think?) at the farm store, mounted to a piece of plywood, and attached a 3/4HP motor he had laying in the shop. That thing has ground more deer than I can count in the last 10 years (as well as a couple of Holstein cows with broken legs). It will grind as fast as you can put meat in the throat, which is faster than the packaging crew can work. Bought the stuffing horn for it to fill burger bags and sausage, works well.

You got a picture of this? I want to see how you sit it up.Your dad seems like resourceful man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The KA grinder is a gem. The sausage stuffer attachment is another story.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my buddies makes small batches of brats and breakfast sausages with his about once a month and he is really happy with it. He claims that the secret is to cut the meat into strips and partially freeze before putting it through the grind. Then mix it up, then get it good and cold again before you stuff the casings.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.