Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 194 of 1,842 1 2 192 193 194 195 196 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Our camp project list isn't as extensive. We have 2 dying hemlocks that are right next to the shack that need to come down. The buck pole will need to be relocated as it's attached these trees.

I've got to rebuild my old ground blind plus build a new one.

We've tried to drive a point several times with no successs.

Than there's the road at the creek that is always in need of repair. Hopefully the beavers will continue to improve their dam upstream of our crossing point. The little SOBs have flooded the road on way too many occassions. If you've never had to deal with beaver dams you don't know how much fun you're missing.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds like a handful Bee Sting. You got my number.

smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I know you like paneling walls with boards. I know you do man!!

grin

sounds like an excuse for dave to buy a gun

a paslode cordless brad nailer to go with my framer/sheeter grin

the way I look at it they pay for themselves on the 1st day of use if the job is big enough.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Buy TWO! Their small! wink

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
8 more quarts o jam cooling now. Maybe 10 moreor so worth of apricots waiting to be cut up and cooked down. Met up with an 82 year old mentor of my hunting addiction this evening. We chatted awhile and it reminded me howmuch I miss the ole days, even though the new days mean just as much. I hope and pray my kids get to meet and enjoy 30 years of hunting and fishing with just such a man someday as I have. To the Good ole days and my mentors of the outdoors I tip my bottle.

Work I don't even want to think about howmuch work I have ahead of me before hunting season. Maybe I'll go buy another boom stick to make me feel better.

Anyone doing any camping yet this summer?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabo
I hope and pray my kids get to meet and enjoy 30 years of hunting and fishing with just such a man someday as I have. To the Good ole days and my mentors of the outdoors I tip my bottle.

Anyone doing any camping yet this summer?

Here is my 30 year mentor, now gone...taking a break on our last day fishing together...God, I miss him...[Linked Image]

In answer to your other question...haven't been camping yet...but was organizing my "stuff" all day today, gonna start fishing/camping as soon as the spring runoff subsides...'nother couple weeks to be sure...Cant wait!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's a great picture.

Camping? Well I promised some kids a BWCA trip which I have put off so far this summer because of my work. I have a big project that i've been tied to since before april this year.

It's been all give & no take... work. And I'm starting to wonder why? It sure as hell isn't because it's "worth it".

I have much more important things to tend to than work.

I need to get a trip planned.

To hell with work, litteraly. To hell with it.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I only have one small task on my To Do list this summer. Build a home. If I can cross that off by deer hunting, I will be a very happy man.

I gotta get the kids out camping, Lauren is really excited about that.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I bailed out of work at 10:45 yesterday morning, hopped on my motorcycle & headed on a route that took me about 400 miles before the day was done.

It was my cousin's birthday yesterday. I stopped by his grave & wished him happy birthday. Sat down in the grass & had a beer with him, one for him, one for me. Then it was on to his folks place, visit with aunt & uncle "Dusty". Had a real nice visit with both of them, Dusty cooked a big late day breakfast which really hit the spot. As an unexpected bonus on my trip I got to see my cousin Missy, she was stopping in to see her folks pretty much as I was leaving. When I left there I headed into "lakes country" in MN, stopped at my cousin's house, visited with his wife & youngest daughter, then they followed me in to where the oldest daughter works at a neat little food joint by a lake. We had a huge plate of nachos, they were awesome & although the oldest girl was busy working I still got to see her a little bit while we were there.

From there I headed back north, got home around 10PM.

Great ride, great day.

The only one I didn't get to see yesterday was "the boy" who was working at a construction site while I was down there in the area.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had one of those beers myself...with the guy in the picture of my last post...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We had a race drinking our beer. He beat me last year when we did the same thing, and he beat me again this year. He's such a damn beer pig & a showoff. It's hardly fair you know, I crack two beers & we go on the count of 3.

Well I turn his upside down & let it pour out onto the ground with my left hand and I guzzle mine with my right hand.

I tell you what, I damn near beat him this year.

I'll get him next year.

grin

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Heading back to WI tomorrow witth our grandson in tow. My son had to have emergency surgury in Africa. He and the DIL will be there at least a month before he's able to fly home. I'll provide more details once we get back home.

GB

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
holy smokes I sure hope everything is ok Bill.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You all have a great 4th, Bill I'll be thinking of your son in Africa, I hope all is well there.

I'm headed for Duluth on my Motorcycle today. I had to pop into work real quick this morning, Mrs ND & the kids are already in route to Duluth & I'll be catching up with them. Going to visit some family there.

Happy 4th of July everybody, have a great weekend.

Dave

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Griz,We will be thinking of your son and wishing him a speedy recovery.
Happy Fourth of July to all of our "family" here.
Dave,have a good safe trip.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Wow! I gotta get back in the swing on here. Sure is hard to do with the cabin, lake and boat all calling my name.

Dave, nice post about your cousin. Made me think of so many who I shared a camp with along my journey. Some brought a chuckle and a few brought a tear. All I hope is that when I am just a memory those I have touched will share a laugh or a tear when they remember me. A man can't ask for more than that.

BTW, #1 son, DIL and 2 grand-daughters spent last week with my wife and I at the lake. Great fun! Adult fishing each morning, then shore lunch, sunfishing and swimming with kiddies, followed by supper at cabin and evening fishing for son and I or road trip to Eats-n-Treats for ice cream followed by a road trip to see deer. The cherry on top was the fish fry on the last evening! Yummy perch fillets!

Life can't get much better!

Sounds like you have lots of work at camp but don't forget to make some memories with the kids. Trust me, they are grown and gone before you know it. A couple times a year one of my sons will mention something that he and I did when he was a kid that he still remembers these many years later. It really touches me to hear it. Excuse me for a minute. Hay fever has my eyes watering.

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wow gone a week and miss a lot. I cracked a beer for Waylon, no races though. Sounds like you needed that ride Dave, between work and all you had on your mind. Amazing what that does for a guy. Reading these stories makes me smile, laugh, and cry, all in the same couple of posts. Maybe I'm just a big ol softie...who the hell knows, but we all have somebody, a parent, a mentor, a best friend, that we love and lost. It is good to remember them.

Oh yeah, get that trip planned. After spending the week with my two trouble makers, there is nothing better in the world than time with them.

Bill,
I hope all is OK with you son. Hope you have good news for us tomorrow.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thx for the support guys.. Made it back Sunday around 4:00 PM.

Our son (42 and the picture of health) is stable and making progress. I'll try and keep this as short as possible, but you need to have some background as to what took place.

Todd was finishing up his African trip with a grouse and duck hunt when he started having chest pains and actually passed out. His PH got him to a local hospital where they said he had the beginnings of a heart attack. During the exam they discovered that he had a large anuerisym near the heart. A special ambulance was sent to his location from Port Elizabeth, SA to transport him back to the main hospital. It was a 6 hour round trip.

Todd was scheduled for surgery to repair the anuerisym the next day. During the surgery they discovered that the anuerisym had already burst burst, but because of it's large size it was pressed up against another vessel which slid into the tear and plugged it off which prevented him from bleeding out.

The surgeon said it was a miracle that he didn't die right on the spot. He had to have a valve and part of the artery replaced plus a by-pass.

As of now it will be at least 6 weeks before he and his wife can return to the US.

Our grandson will remain with us until his folks can return.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wow Bill. I hope everything turns out alright. I hope your grandson is handling this as well. Scary stuff Bill, we'll keep him in our prayers.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Holy smokes Bill.

My family's thoughts & prayers will certainly be with him.

Something clever here.

Page 194 of 1,842 1 2 192 193 194 195 196 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.