Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3137215 07/02/09
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was up at my gunsmith's place today in Fort White. One of the 'regulars' brought by some fresh home made Souse.

I have not had any of that in many years. Tonight, I will dredge a few slices in corn meal and pan fry them for my dinner.
A few thick slices of fresh tomato, some collards and corn bread, a quart of sweet tea..........and ya got Southern heaven.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
a quart of sweet tea..........

I didn't know sweet tea was 2 words. It ain't pronounced that way. grin

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
just don't tell em what's in it.......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You go all the way to Fort White for gun smithing? It's a half hour drive for me. What's it for you? Got to be an hour, at least.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
man alive, i must be gettin' old. i can remember souse meat, but how was it made? hogshead, blackpepper, and what?

hap an old guy here, and tell us more.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have drank stuff that probably had crawly things in it, but I can't drink sweet tea and I like my coffee black, straight from the pot. But I do like sugar in my cornbread. Must be a KS thing. I wouldn't know a "Souse" if it bit me on the leg. Life is good.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Gus
man alive, i must be gettin' old. i can remember souse meat, but how was it made? hogshead, blackpepper, and what?

well....first you sweep the floor of the slaughterhouse.....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That sounds like a fine meal to me. There is a brand made around here called "Charlies" that is good souse. I don't buy it often, but I do enjoy some occasionally. Souse and a home grown tomato makes great sandwiches.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You Southern folks cooking pigs heads for the tidbits? Not me. I saw Top Chef Masters cooking pigs ears and I had go gag a little when I saw them in the market today.
My 4 th of July dinner contribution is going to be an antipasti with cooked vegetables like green beans, mushrooms, roasted onions, roasted peppers, and a cold salad with meat and cheese.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
after the yankees got thru with us, and 12 long years of occupation,we had to learn to eat everything but the squeal......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gus

Gus, that was the main ingredients in the souse made around here. A hog's head was cooked until done all the way through, and then anything that would run through an old hand-crank grinder was run through with a liberal amount of coarse black pepper. Then the paste was packed into molds and it would set up when it cooled.
I've heard it called by another name too....Head cheese.
Sounds like the end result of really poor personal hygiene.blush
grin

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably not the correct definitions, but when I was young, I always thought that the difference between souse and headcheese was the addition of vegetables to the mix in souse.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I looked up Kutas' souse recipe - this is for 10 lbs

1 lb diced red peppers
1 lb diced sweet pickles
2/3 cup gelatin, dissolved in
4 cups warm water
1/2 cup white vinegar
7 1/2 TB salt
1 TB ground white pepper
1 TB ground mustard
2 TB ground sage
2 TB ground cloves
2 TB ground onion
1 TB onion powder
5 lbs pork tongues
4 lbs pork snouts
1 lb pork skins

After curing, place all meat loosely in steam kettle. Place the pork skins in cooking net, then cover product with water and raise to boiling temperature. Cook approximately 1 1/2 hours. After cooking remove from kettle and let cool. Grind pork skins through 3/16" grinder plate, meat through 1/2" plate. After grinding add other ingredients and sufficient amount of cooking stock to arrive at a finished yield of 110-115%.

After the product is thoroughly mixed, stuff into suitably-sized mold and chill for 12 hours at 34-36 degrees F. Place molds in ice water for approximately two hours to assist in rapid chilling. After chilling remove from molds and place on rack, properly spaced, in 38-40 F cooler. Chill at this temperature overnight.

The Head Cheese recipe is similar but omits the peppers, pickles, sage and mustard and adds marjoram, caraway seeds, ginger and allspice.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Most all food is good if you know how to prepare it right.If your out in the wilderness,and haven't ate in a while anything will look good.Including cold crow.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fw707
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
a quart of sweet tea..........

I didn't know sweet tea was 2 words. It ain't pronounced that way. grin

we have yankees on the forum, and they would not know what I meant if I spelled it "swaytee" laugh

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My oldest son likes swaytee. He spent too much time in NC! grin

Never had souse but grew up eating head cheese, pickled pigs feet and the like. We was po! But I wouldn't change it for the world!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had a distinct yen for head cheese/souse for a couple months now. I remember actually buying it packaged in the sandwich meat department back when I was a kid. No longer, apparently; can't find it anywhere, and when I ask, all I get are either blank stares or the people sidle off slowly, keeping a look at me from the very corner of their eye.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I called my friend John, and asked him what was in his souse. This is what he told me:

meat from one large boiled pig's head, along with the meat from the trotters.
two sliced onions, salt and pepper, a bay leaf, some nutmeg and about a cup of vinegar.

He went on to say it was boiled, then the meat removed, and the liquid reduced further. The meat was boned and then diced, The liquid was added back in , and all put into a big loaf pan, and chilled for several days.

Awfully good too laugh

[Linked Image]

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
God!--How on Earth do you guys eat that stuff. My College roommate ate that and various pig products that just did not go down right...

Sorry but YUK!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
byc, I believe you are either a youngun, or a transplanted yankee smile

No true Son of the South would turn their snout, er, nose, up at a good slice of Souse!

Today's portion was cold, and served on home made wheat bread, with brown mustard and sweet pickles.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,882
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.