-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I bought a Shilen .270 barrel blank a few years ago and finally got around to threading and contouring. It's for an Enfield and I've already got the cone cut, and everything looks good so far. This is a chrome-moly barrel, and hasn't been chambered or crowned yet. I'm wondering if I should lap it before I go any further. Shilen does lap some of their barrels but it hasn't been done to this one. I know it has to be done before it's chambered and crowned if I'm going to do it. I don't want to change dimensions or round off any corners; just polish it a little. I thought I'd just give it a few passes with 600 grit lapping compound. I've never done this before but I think I know how it's done. I think I would cast a lead slug in the breech end of the barrel by plugging the barrel an inch and a half or so in with a wood plug wrapped in a cleaning patch, and then preheat a little before pouring in the lead. Then I'd push it out the muzzle till I could remove the plug and the lead slug came out a half inch or so. Then I would score it lightly with my knife and apply the compound. I'd push it back and forth till it just protruded out the ends never letting it come all the way out. After a dozen or so trips I'd call it finished and clean up the mess.

So my questions are: Is it worth the effort or should I just chamber it like it is? Do I have the right idea as far as technique goes? What should I change about my plan? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would chamber it as it is. I prefer to lap after chambering but before crowning. I cast the lap at the muzzle end and.push it right out. I charge the lap then run it up and down about ten strokes, index one groove, then repeat until I have gone right around. If there is a spot that seems tight, I'll work at that area until it feels uniform.
If all you want to do is polish, you may do as well to simply use extra-fine steel wool with some J-B compound.
The reason I prefer to lap after chambering is that the throater may leave a bit of a "feather" on the trailing edge of the lands. The lap will remove this. Of course, so will the first couple of shots!GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Were it mine, I wouldn't bother lapping it just yet. I would wait to see if it needed it. You can always lap the bore later if needed, but from my experience with Shilen barrels, the standard non lapped variety, they don't need it.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have read on this forum that the lap will cut much more in the area where it changes directions. Also they say you should never lap a finished barrel. Probably for the same reason. Isn't JB softer than barrel steel? Last Shilen barrel I fooled with was a 25/06 and it copper fouled very quickly. That's the reason I was thinking about lapping it to begin with. Maybe I'd be better off to leave it alone. Thanks.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A lap cuts much more where it changes direction? Perhaps, but I've not seen a great deal of evidence to support this contention. However, this is why I do lap prior to cutting and crowning. Just in case.
"They" say not to lap a finished barrel. I've lapped a lot of finished barrels over the last 35 years or so and have always seen an improvement. By the way, I do not lap every barrel I install but do lap those which appear they could use it or if I am asked to do so.
J-B is alledged to be softer than barrel steel yet it still polishes and appears to cut. GD

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a pro at all but 600 grit doesn't sound worthwhile.

Hart barrels had some information on their lapping process and they said stop at 220 grit if my feeble memory is correct. They thought that overly smooth barrels fowl more and had greater friction/pressure. To me lapping is to remove tool marks perpendicular to the bore and secondarily to improve uniformity slightly.

Done improperly it can ruin a good barrel, like using a flexible rod or inadequate bore guide.

Also keep in mind some manufactures start with the barrel .0001 or so undersized and then lap to final dimensions.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/06/09.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (2500HD, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.