24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hey Yall, New guy here. This is my first day. I was given a Marlin 336 by my father in law and took a doe last year. Im planning a black bear hunt next year and I'm using it as an excuse to buy a new rifle. I've decided on 45-70. My question is which one. 18.5" guide gun, 22" or 24"xlr. I dont plan to scope it or shoot past 150 yards at anything. Also what ammo is good bear medicine. Recoil is not a problem. I've been a shooter all my life just not a big game hunter. Is the Leverevolution ammo all it's suppose to be?

Doc_H
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whatever length appeals to you. I have a guide gun, a standard 1895, then a 1895 Cowboy with a 26" barrel. My favorite is the standard model with the pistol grip and rounded lever loop, it just fits my hand better, the square loop is so small as to hurt my hand.

I would think any factory 405gr load would do well for what you are doing. If reloading you could go as low as 300gr, more velocity, flatter trajectory and less recoil.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I just got a standard as well, and I really like it. The 22" bbl seems to balance pretty well for me, and I also like the pistol grip stock. I will be dragging mine through the swamps of NW Ontario to see if I can perforate a moose, and I will be carrying it stuffed with 405 gr Remmy's handloaded to hurt on both ends. Otherwise, I might go with a hard cast 405 gr a little slower.

Black bears don't die real hard, so just put a good bullet in the engine room, preferably through a shoulder, and down she goes. Enjoy, and

Welcome to the Campfire

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doc, I concur with jkingrph and Keith on the standard model. I owned a LTD-IV (very similar to the Cowboy model) since about 2000. I sold it last spring and purchased a standard M1895 model with the 22" barrel. When shooting heavier loads I find the checkered pistol grip stock and wider, checkered forearm of the standard model to be easier to control. I put a Leupold 1-4x20 VX-II scope on a Weaver base and used medium height Burris Z rings (could have used the low height just as well).

My rifle is consistently shooting 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards using 50.0 grains of IMR3031, Rem 9 1/2" primers, R-P cases and the Speer 400 grain jacketed Flatpoint bullet. The load generates 1650 fps average from my rifle; zero the scope to put that load 2 1/2" high at 100 yards gives you point blank accuracy to 160 yards (3" high at 75 yards, 3" low at 160 yards). I still cannot get over how good the Marlin shoots as a straight out of the box rifle, no tweaking, heavy Marlin trigger, etc.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might also want to consider one of the 1895 rifles made in the 1970s. They have a 22" barrel, straight grip, uncheckered stocks and thinner wood. To me, they are the best balanced of all the Marlin 1895s. They also lack the ridiculous and redundant crossbolt safety. Generally, they have a lighter trigger as well. While I agree that they straigh grip does not handle the heaviest 45-70 loads as well as the checkered pistol grip, I find no need for the heavy loads. A 405 grain jacketed bullet starting from the barrel at 1400-1500 fps is plenty of medicine for any North American game except maybe the big bears.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you can find one of the early 70's models I like them best too. They have the longer barrel but are much lighter, almost as light as the guide gun because the stocks are much trimmer.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got the standard 1895 with the pistol grip. I prefer the pistol grip. If you decide the barrel is too long to be handy it's no big deal to have it shortened. That's what I did, long before Marlin came up with a guide gun. Works great with the Ghost ring on the back and post on the front. A very fast rifle for up close and personal.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Doc;

Welcome to the campfire!

My fav rifle for black bear is in .45-70. I've had several versions of the Marlin, a couple Rugers and an NEF(single-shot).

But, I have to be disagreeable (I hate that!)with some of my good buddies here on this thread...

What size bear do you anticipate? How far the shot? Over bait, or spot-and-stalk? Thick brush nearby or open areas where you can see and track the bear if he doesn't stay where you shot him/her? And many, many other questions should be considered.

I'm not a "pro" but just about in that I hunt bear every year, have taken a fair share, was taught for eight seasons by a "pro", have been baiting on my own for 15 seasons, have written a manual on baiting bear/hunting them, and currently have bears coming to my baits. That's just a brief summary of my personal interest and involvement with black bears in Central Ontario.

Let's just say that 50+ years of hunting has found it's culmination in studying bears, researching them and dedicated hunting of them over the past couple of decades. It occupies a lot of my time, thinking, planning and expense.

So, I do have some ideas when it comes to black bear and their clean termination!

Because I'm not a casual hunter of blacks, I bait several areas each year and observe them, but only shoot one every third year. The black bear deserves utmost respect, and while I have immense confidience in the .45-70, if I were you I'd go with the best ammo available. As to factory loads: that's Garrett! Google Garrett Cartridges online. Then there's also Buffalo Bore Ammunition. These bring about the best out of the Marlin in factory fodder. I'd forget Hornady or Remington.

Just my thoughts and experience, and the last bear I shot was trophy quality, flattened in his tracks at 70 yds by a 465gr hardcast handloaded from a NEF Handy-Rifle at 1900 fps! That was three years ago. I'm do again!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

OP Offline
Thanks for the welcome and for all the good information. I have been looking around and today I found a standard 1895. As soon as I got it in my hands I knew it was the one. I'm now the proud owner and can't wait to shoot it.Thanks again and I'm glad I found my way to the campfire.

Doc_H
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congrats on the new 45-70!

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an 1895 XLR that I had cut back to 17" I like the pistol grip but wanted a shorter barrel. This works out great for me! I have a Williams guide peep on the back and a fiber optic front sight. Makes one fast handling brush gun!
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doc_Hyler
Thanks for the welcome and for all the good information. I have been looking around and today I found a standard 1895. As soon as I got it in my hands I knew it was the one. I'm now the proud owner and can't wait to shoot it.Thanks again and I'm glad I found my way to the campfire.

You got the right one!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (320090T, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 160user, 28 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,213
Posts18,503,931
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.