-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't done it for years now... Back trolling steelhead flies from a drift boat in the upper Rogue River for summer run steelies.

The gear is commonly a 7 weight fly rod running a sink tip line with about 7-9 foot leaders and your favorite fly.
Famous flies like the Green Butt Skunk, Red Ant and others usually dominate the scene.

Any of you participate? This has always been a popular, yet unheralded fishery. I'd be interested to know what your favorite setup's might be. I'll be starting with the above mentioned rig.

BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blcaktail53:
yet unheralded fishery

In my books the Rogue is one of the most talked up fisheries on the west coast.

Never tried back trolling as I'm more into wading and casting with a spey rod and floating line. Sounds like fun though if I could scrounge someone else to row my boat. 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi 1M,

Understood and agree.
But it seems to be just the Rogue and even though I've lived here all my life, it's more a cult thing these days rather than a universally utilized method.

I floated from the Hatchery to Shady Cove this Saturday - just a boat ride for two new friends who had never done it before.
We passed scads of bankies, back bouncers and a couple of plug pullers, all after salmon. OH- and a couple thousand rafters and sun worshipers!!! smile

When salmon season closes and fly restrictions apply, most if not all of the fishermen I saw will disappear.
One and two handed fly rod'ers will take the stage, all hoping that their favorite run will hold fish that day.
Back trolling flies from a DB will cover way more water with the potential of finding fish and you can put a novice in the seat and have him be productive - so I just wonder why more people don't partake..?

My thoughts are: they're tired from salmon season and looking at the approaching hunting seasons coming up.. Fly fishing (any method) is considered harder and less productive by many. Some will return when the upper portion is opened up to bait.

Anyway, I was just hoping to find some guys here that participate and find out what kind of set ups they prefer.

One of my favorite things to do is to float, anchor and fly fish trout with nymphs - my way down the river, all catch and release. So twitching flies appeals to me...

BT53

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blacktail53: I'd love to give it a try some day, but do most of my summer steelhead angling on the Deschutes where one may not fish from a floating device. With retirement at hand, I may start venturing south to the Umpqua and Rogue.

I know the lower 25 miles of the Deschutes quite well though, and can call strikes within 3 to 5 feet in most instances. It's taken many seasons and pages of notes to reach that level though. Success really plunges when I take on new water. That's where a guide or comrade with knowledge of the water really helps.

I'm going to do a Deschutes run with a boy scout troop in early August. Over the week though, I'll probably only have two evenings and one morning when I can fish. Take care and good luck, 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 07/12/09.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
1M,

Have fun with the Scouts... I did that for years. One Eagle and a Star scout for my boys. Unfortunately, peer pressure on the 2nd son kept him from completing his Eagle project.
I wish Scouting were "Cool".

If those retire wings stretch towards the Rogue, give me a bump and we'll give er a go. Uhh, you did say you "row" right..? smile

BT

BT53

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blacktail53:

Row? I used to be really good at it, but most say I'm a much better coach now days. I skipped a season and just forgot how. It's not like riding a bike you know. Takes years to master, and if one lets off he loses his touch. If it's someone elses boat, I quickly ram the first rock below the boat launch, and the owner takes it away from me. It's such a waste, because my 16 ft Lavro whines to go every time it sees me loading up the fly rods. Also, if I spend more than 4 hrs 13 minutes and 9 seconds in the rig, my back goes out. I think it takes about 4 hrs 13 minutes and 12 seconds to get to your neck of the woods.

Seriously though, I'm going to need about 6 months to clean things up and get into full retirement mode. I'd sure welcome an oppoutunity to trade a trip or two on one anothers waters. I'd show you mine if you'd show me yours. I looked at the Columbia fish counts a day or two ago, and there are fishable numbers crossing the dams now. I'll have to shoot you though after I guide you through my water.

A question: Do you ever rig up a daisey chain for the back bumping bit or just use single flys? About a dozen years ago when I finally loaded up on spey rods, I started throwing a string of 3 flys. Usually a heavy sinker on the far end and some smaller lighter and different patterns up close. I do a little better than my single fly buddies, but once in a while I snag a fish that was going for one of the closer flys. Takes a while to slow them down and drag one in if you get it by the tail.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/14/09.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll meet you at the hatchery - that'll take 30 minutes off your trip and you'll be good to go!
To enhance your rowing opportunities, I'll bring my wife - she has the ability to see EVERY obstruction GOD ever left in the river and would be more than willing to point each and every one of them out to you, physically and verbally - she's a primary grade school teacher and most excellent at that..... Or I could just stay on the sticks smile and save us both the anguish..

I myself am 4 years from hanging up the lunch bucket. I envy your retirement prospects.
I'm not going anywhere soon so when your ready, feel free to toss me a pm and we'll plan a trip.

I'd love to see your river. I have a lady friend in Redmond that is quite the fly fisher women and talks highly about it.
I also have hunted the Silvies Unit for deer and elk, and the Steens way back in 84....I want to do that again, it was a great hunt, to say the very least.

I haven't trolled flies for steelies for a long time - hence this thread. Pulling more than one is an interesting thought. I'll have to interrigate my guide buddy again and see what he sez.

I'm in the homework stage right now. I want to have this down as the Rogue is close and opportunities are abundant.
To be able to share her with others and see new waters as well, is a wonderful thing.

BT

BT53

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.