Print Thread
Hop To
G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Hi:Does anyone have one of these rifles? How well do they function?Accuracy? I appreciate any info i can get as i don't want to spend this much without info. Thank's Dan

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like mine. It runs great and is very accurate.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I bought a 1895CB the first week of December. Fired it 3 times and had a little problem pop up. A fluke of a problem I have no doubt after talking with several friends and people I have met that own the CB 1895. They all love them and have had zero problems. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, well it's true. I am dying for another chance to take my 45-70 out for some fun.
My problem was a broken extractor. The gunsmith told me it was an ejector. He even confirmed it was an ejector when I called him and told him I could order the bearproof ejector and hand deliver it to him. So, when I do finally get my gun back, I will have a new ejector and a new extractor. Still waiting and dreaming of shootin my 1895CB in 45-70.
Glad I bought a 444XLR at the same time. Already went through four boxes...it's ahoot too smile

Eddie

Good Day
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I don't have one yet, but I'm going to. I've handled several and I can't get over how much better they feel than my guide gun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ugly wood aside, I love mine. One hole accurate, and holds 8 in the tube and one in the chamber. If you can't solve your problem with nine shots as quick as it will spit them out, you REALLY have a problem. One heck of a rifle. I would hunt anything anywhere with it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I limit mine to 4 rounds in the tube. It too heavy with more. I like the balance and feel of the CB much better than my SS or GS.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a hard time deciding between the cowboy and a GS. A move to AK was pending so I bought the GS for it's resilience to weather. As life with uncle sam often brings, the move fell through. I really liked the GS but being a bit nastalgic, I somewhat regretted that I didn't get the cowboy.

I finally got to shoot a cowboy at the range and of course open sited groups were 1/2 that of my GS. No doubt, the longer site radius. I recently traded off my GS and I'm on the prowl for a CB. I don't think you will regret the decision.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have one and love it. My father refinished the factory stock and it actually has some good wood under the coating that Marlin puts on them.

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by taz4570
I limit mine to 4 rounds in the tube. It too heavy with more. I like the balance and feel of the CB much better than my SS or GS.

I tend to do the same.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
I'm trying to decide which rifle I want as well.This is probably a dumb question? But is the CB a cowboy load gun or is the action as strong as the others and capable of handling heavy loads?

Doc_H
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Doc_Hyler
I'm trying to decide which rifle I want as well.This is probably a dumb question? But is the CB a cowboy load gun or is the action as strong as the others and capable of handling heavy loads?

It is the same action with straight pistol grip (like the cowboy rifles who never had any pistol grip versions in Hollywood)) Teh other differences are teh longer 26 inch octagonal barrel which means it is not a carbine, and a full length magazine.

I own one of these and they actually balance very well and still handle brush hunting without any issues I noted.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gunbug
Hi:Does anyone have one of these rifles? How well do they function?Accuracy? I appreciate any info i can get as i don't want to spend this much without info. Thank's Dan

I had one for a while. I eventually traded it off. Can't remember why.

It's a good, solid gun. I mounted a Leupold 3-9X on mine for load workup, had a trigger job done, and put a black recoil pad on it. Set up that way it'd hold MOA with Remington 405 grain factory ammo and several handloads. Once I had mechanical accuracy worked out, I removed the scope and put a Williams receiver sight on it.

Oh yeah! I remember why I got rid of it: that stupid cross-bolt bolt hammer block safety.

I was up on the side of a mountain working my way through some heavy brush to a spot to watch a little clearing I often saw deer in and ran into a friggin' sow bear with two cubs. Rather than just run off the cubs went up a tree, so mom bear couldn't just able off, she had to go into protect mode. She was growling, bobbing, weaving, moving forward towards me, moving back ... I had the gun up with the hammer eared back hoping things would work out without me getting a bear skin rug. They finally came down and all 3 left. Then I looked down and saw that stupid safety was engaged the whole time. I took that gun to the store and sold it the next day. I don't need that sh*t.

Since then I found a guy named Clyde Ludwig that makes a replacement for the cross-bolt safety so that can't happen. It makes the Marlin just like the old hammer-only Winchesters I grew up on. Perfect. So ... sorta wish I had that rifle back.

But what I really want even more (the next one I had was a 336 cowboy in .38-55 which was a good shooter) is a 336 cowboy in .30-30.

Anyways, I don't think you can go too wrong with the 1895 cowboy, any MOA lever action is a good find.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Oh yeah! I remember why I got rid of it: that stupid cross-bolt bolt hammer block safety.

Another quite simple fix is to remove the buttstock. On the back of the receiver, on the left side, is an allen-headed screw that controls pressure to a spring and detent-ball arrangement for the crossbolt safety. Simply tighten the screw until the safety will not function. Use of the safety can be restored as quickley as it was disabled, if you so choose.

My first centerfire was an M94, and I have never taken to the crossbolt or tang safeties that are standard on lever rifles. I don't have any experience with them, but I understand rebounding hammers have their own issues.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12savage, 57 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,317
Posts18,505,717
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.