Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 195 of 1,842 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thx for the support guys.. Made it back Sunday around 4:00 PM.

Our son is stable and making progress. I'll try and keep this as short as possible, but you need to have some background as to what took place.

Todd, 42 and the picture of health was finishing up his African trip with a grouse and duck hunt when he started having chest pains and actually passed out. His PH got him to a local hospital where they said he had the beginnings of a heart attack. During the exam they discovered that he had a large aneurysm near the heart. A special ambulance was sent to his location from Port Elizabeth, SA to transport him back to the main hospital. It was a 6 hour round trip.

Todd was scheduled for surgery to repair the aneurysm the next day. During the surgery they discovered that the aneurysm had already burst, but because of it's large size it was pressed up against another vessel which slid into the tear and plugged it off which prevented him from bleeding out.

The surgeon said it was a miracle that he didn't die right on the spot. He had to have a valve and part of the artery replaced plus a by-pass.

As of now it will be at least 6 weeks before he and his wife can return to the US.

Our grandson will remain with us until his folks can return.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
God Bless you and yours Grizzly... Sounds like your son is unlucky but watched over and blessed at the same time. My family will keep him and your family in our prayers.

Well after much more apricot jam making we've finally run out of apricots from the trees, yet blackberries are just beginning to turn and will be picked shortly. Yuuuuuummmm vaniller ice cream and blackberry cobbler! Sweet corn has a week or 2 in my garden to go but I may hit the farmers market this week.

Kiddo1 and 2 just finished playing a double header they play first and right field and work together well. After ballgames were over I took them fishing and caught a few bass then on for some ice cream and cookies. Mom just loves when I bring them home all sugared up.. LOL... They sit now watching the TV eating cookies and ice cream, life is pretty darn Great right now. I hope each and everyone of ya especially Grizzly Bill and hisboys family say the same real Real soon if your not already.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Griz, that's scary stuff your family is going through. Things can really turn on you quick. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I guess the little guy is pretty shaken by all this.

Best widhes!

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Holy Smokes again...we'll sure be thinking of you and your crew out here...hope he is home and well before ya know it!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grizz, my prayers go out for your son. I can offer a little insight for you as the same thing happened to me on Oct.19th 2001. My aorta ruptured at the top of the heart and the shredded tissue was sucked back in and plugged the hole. My problem was that it took 6 months for it to be found for what it was and in the meantime a tear in my right atrium got much worse lowering my right side output to the lungs to about 15%. This would not have happened had the problem been found right away. The good part is here I am....a little the worse for wear but I still hunt and fish (at a much slower pace). I have about 16" of Gortex hose for an aorta. all new valves, a tire patch on my heart wall and a pacemaker. The key for your son is finding what it was right away. He should recover well indeed. I wonder what would have happened for me if it had been found right away...but that wasn't in my cards. I'll watch for progress reports and keep praying. Sounds like the hunting gods still need him and thats a great thing. Hang in there...it and he will get better. Good things happen to good people! BTW I was 43 when it all happened...

Scott

Last edited by SSB; 07/06/09. Reason: info added

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We were able to talk to our son for the first time yesterday. He sounds great. Wish you could have seen the look on our grandsons face when we handed him the phone and dad was on the other end. He was one happy little boy.

He expects to be out of the hospital by Monday. Hospital staff members have offered to take him and our DIL on tours of the area once Todd is released.

Things are certainly looking up.

Once again thanks to all of you for your prayers and kind words of encouragement.

Bill

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why does he have to stay for so long Bill, rehab?

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Having computer issues. This is a test.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm back, Been fighting between my firewall provider and ATT. Looks now like it is a ATT issue.

Tom, tried to send you a reply earlier, but the old puter wouldn't cooperate. Todd has to stay because of rehab and to make sure all the new plumbing doesn't spring a leak. He's going to be released from the hospital Friday.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The whole forum has been offline for about two days.Damn,I miss my daily intake on Camp Chickenbuck.Rick Bin says all is ok now.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks for the update Stan. I have been having issues with my DSL line and spent most of the day working with the firewall provider and ATT. Turned out to be ATT.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As soon as I posted my last the forum went Kaschnizzle again.
Itr is late Friday evening and I am just now able to get back on here.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Same here. This is the first time I've been able to get in today. Noticed some PM's are gone also.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Just as well, i been putting in 15-16 hr days all week with no end in sight. work scheduled all weekend too frown

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bill , got boogered up in the last day or two with the forum issues. ( working now knock on wood.
Continued prayers for your son , family , grand son , for a quick speedy recovery and soon trip home .
Keep us posted please.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Phil. Todd was released from the hospital today. He's tired but doing well. Doctor told him it will take another week for his strengh to start coming back.

So far so good.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thats real good news!!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good news Bill, real good news.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great news Bill! Continued thoughts and prayers sent his way.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Just as well, i been putting in 15-16 hr days all week with no end in sight. work scheduled all weekend too frown

Just what in the heck are you guys doing up there anyway?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 195 of 1,842 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.