Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"If you guys have any questions on superfeet, fire away."
-KirkEDGE

I bought the orange for my new Lowa work boots based on a thread by Rick Bin IIRC.

I spend extremely long periods on my feet at work plus I'm fat, old and have a bad knee..

I did go up 1/2 size from my normal as the orange ones are somewhat thick. Other than that I am extremely pleased. When the other insoles I have go I am getting some more.

Did I get my $10.00 extra worth? Would the green or black be as good or better?

What about the custom fits? Are they worth the bother?

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Correct, the orange ones offer more forefoot cushioning...so yes, you did get a little more for your money and sound like they're working well. The green, black, and blue offer little cushion, but great stability.

By 'personal fit' insoles, are you referring to custom orthodics or more of a heat moldable one?

Last edited by KirkEDGE; 07/16/09.

~backcounty hunting the west~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The one thing I learned about the blue ones (Superfeet) is they are a low to medium arch. (others are medium to high) A key thing with the blue ones is they can potentially damage your gortex liner. They suggest the use of a liner called a 5 iron.

http://www.superfeet.com/faq/blue.aspx#faqs

Last edited by Duk Dog; 07/17/09.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been using the heat moldable Sole inserts for the past year and have had very good results. It provides very good arch support which you can adjust. It is also stiff enough to add a little more foot support to a more flexible boot or shoe between the heel and ball of the foot.
Recently I've been using a promising arch support insert from Spenco designed for tighter fitting shoes that appears to be made of interwoven fiberglass in a heat moldable plastic resin. It is very supportive and very thin. It requires much more heat (heat gun) to soften than a Sole insert and is more rigid. It also will stiffen up a softer boot.
For boots worn with very heavy loads, I shy away from very cushy insoles as they tend to "work" my feet. I got the worst blister of my life last year from a pair of gel cushion insoles that "squished" around the side of my heel callous and gave me a deep double blister.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
ID Milton, Cortisone shots, a corticoid steroid only reduce some swelling in the area and as you have already learned wear off in a relatively short time. The stretching is the key for the plantar fascitis. I've have the shot and they are only a stop gap. If you are ever in the Denver/Golden area look up Peter Morin at Foothills Pedorthics. He did my orthotics and they're awesome. Without you telling him much he'll tell you all kinds of things about the pain you're having, your gait, any potential problems, and that's before you even have a mold made of your feet. The things he told me were like he knew all about my problems before we even met it was eerie. But he knows his stuff and you'd never be disappointed.

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I suspect your feet are sliding around inside your boots too much. Do you use a double over hand knot at the instep of the boot to better lock the foot in the boot ? It allows you to do so w/o tightening the boot too much on the sides of the foot.
I gave up on insloes years ago. Properly fitted boots, that feel good right from the start, and top quality socks is all I've ever needed.
Do you wear them a good bit before you use them in steep country ? There is no substitute for conditioning the feet to the boots. BTDT. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kirk, the foot doctor I spoke with talked about a boot thing that sounds similar, but I don't know if it was called the Strassburg sock. I'll ask him about it when I go back in.
I've never been to CO, but that sounds like a great doctor! In the mean time, I'll keep stretching.

Emericus, I try to keep my feet "broken in". Good boots and good socks do help tons, but I really can notice my comfort level with good insoles. You mentioned Dalgreen socks in one of your posts. I have a box full of Thorlos I really like, but when they wear out, I may need to find a pair of those.

Thanks for the replies, and to the original poster, I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread!

Last edited by IDMilton; 07/17/09. Reason: add info

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Kirk, the foot doctor I spoke with talked about a boot thing that sounds similar, but I don't know if it was called the Strassburg sock. I'll ask him about it when I go back in. Thanks for the reply.

Yep, the boot does the exact same thing, the sock is just a cheaper solution.

Strassburg Sock

Last edited by KirkEDGE; 07/17/09.

~backcounty hunting the west~
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Superfeet...the best $20-30 you can spend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been giving the perfekt insoles a try and so far I likey very much.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was talking about the custom superfeet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got a pair of the Viesturis (sp?) Sole modable's to try in my K-treks. I'll report after I've spent a few days on them. I will say, that for me, the insole I got from Lathrop WAS worth the price...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,353
Posts18,527,038
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.