Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The NRA's American Rifleman gained considerably with it's newer Field Editor.

He wrote a pretty in depth and interesting article about
Hot & Cold, Temperature's Effects On Ammunition.

I do have one question about the article.

In it, the writer states,

"I recently tested a 257 Wby. Mag load using Ramshot Magnum and the 100 gr. Barnes Triple Shock X bullet in a Weatherby-Vanguard Sporter.
At 70 degrees F this load grouped three shots into a half-minute of angle out to 400 yds. with a muzzle velocity of right around 3500 f.p.s. AT zero degrees it lost about 150 f.p.s. or about 4 percent of its warm weather velocity, but point of impact and accuracy remained virtually unchanged.

Even at 400 yards you did not have POI change?
That's amazing after losing 150 fps.

What is the most temp sensitive powder you have ever used?

Last edited by SU35; 07/18/09.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That is amazing.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, he did say "virtually unchanged." Which doesn't mean NO change, it means the change was inconsequental.

I haven't done any sub-freezing shooting, so can't say from experience. So unless there's some sort of typographical error, I must believe him. I don't think he'd print something that isn't true, no reason to do so.

I remember reading in a loading manual that 200 fps change in a 30-06 (IIRC) made a tenth of an inch difference at 100 yards. Extrapolate that (if it's true) to 400 yards, it's still virtually "unchanged" unless you're shooting from a machine. In other words, natural error wouldn't allow you to tell a POI change.

Last edited by Gene L; 07/17/09.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I didn't shoot in cold weather at 400 yards, just at 100--where the POI was unchanged.

I realize the quote makes it sound as if maybe I shot at 400 yards in the cold test. I can't remember right off if I wrote it that way, or if that's how it got edited.

A quick look at a ballistic table indicates that a loss of 200 fps with that load would have the bullet landing about 2 inches lower at 400 yards.

By the way, I have been listed as a Field Editor for AR since this past winter. The hot-and-cold article was my 4th to be published since then, I believe.

I have seen some rifle powders lose 15% of their velocity when shot at zero F as compared to when the same loads were shot at 70. I've also seen some that often resulted in definite hang-fires, as noted in the article.

I'd hate to pick out any powder as the most cold-sensitive, because how much velcoity they lose also depends on the cartridge, primer, etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by SU35
out to 400 yds.

Even at 400 yards you did not have POI change?
That's amazing after losing 150 fps.

out to is not the same as at...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Great article, and on a subject that isn't often written about. BTW, this issues of American Rifleman was probably the best issue I've seen in years: Barsness, Selby, a long look at double rifles. Can't get much better.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mule Deer, didn't know it was you he was talking about.
smile Looks like you're cropping up everywhere!

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
By the way, I have been listed as a Field Editor for AR since this past winter. The hot-and-cold article was my 4th to be published since then, I believe.

Somehow I knew that but could not remember when. I should have stated newer. Anyways JB thanks for the article I enjoyed it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JB is the only gunwriter I can remember other than Hagel who has written on the issue of temperature sensitivity of rifle powders.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob Hagel inspired my experiments, but I must admit that I found his methods a little lacking. For one thing, heating or cooling the ammunition is not the whole story, and that's all he did, then shooting the ammo in a rifle at normal temperatures.

To simulate hunting conditions, the rifle also has to be warm or cold. Otherwise a 70-degree rifle tends to warm up the ammo in the chamber, especially the primer, a big part of the deal.

Hagel also didn't report on point-of-impact changes, another essential part of the equation.

It is a big PITA to shoot at zero F., and a little bit of a PITA to shoot at 95 (about as warm as it gets in my part of Montana) but it's the only way to find out what will actually happen.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Otherwise a 70-degree rifle tends to warm up the ammo in the chamber, especially the primer, a big part of the deal.

Shooting a 5 shot string in the 6.5x284 the first 3 shots were
within 20 fps of each other the next two went completely wacko on me.

Does shooting heat up the barrel chamber for the following shots?

What do you mean by "especially the primer"?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JB: Yes, I remember that he shot from an enclosed room and cooled the ammo IIRC.Only in a passing manner did he mention POI changes.

I shoot all winter myself,and it is a pain to shoot at 10 degrees;it does not frequently get to zero where I live,but I remember shooting New Years Day this year and it was COLD!

I can't say that I conducted experiments, but did notice that certain powders lost velocity.Among the standouts(in lost velocity) have been 760(in the 375H&H),IMR 4350,and IMR4831.

Curious thing about IMR 4831 is that it did far better in the 270 than it did in the 7RM,leading me to the "probably erroneous theory" that some of this temp sensitivity may be related to the amount of air-space in the case,and how the powder bulks in the case,ie.what % of space the powder occupies.I dunno....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SU-try this sometime, and remember it's coming from the loonie bin...grin

When I am shooting for accuracy many times I'll use the probe thermometer that I have in my shooting kit to take barrel temps.

This isn't perfecto I know but here's what I do.

B4 I shoot the gun I stand it up in the gun rack and stick the probe therm (one that restaurants use) in the mzl end. That'll give me an interntal temp of the tube when it's cool and unfired.

Then after my string I'll stand the gun back in the rack and stick the therm in the barrel again. Then I'll not shoot another string until the barrel goes back down the original temp that it was at when I first took its temp.

A bit loonie I know but when I am really working on accuracy (specially at long range) I try to do it. It works pretty darn well for me, unless I'm just feeling impatient that day.

Best of luck to ya!

Dober

(SU, you gonna do any fall bruin hunting?)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just in passing - a bit off, but somewhat relevant - I have taken to blowing a puff of air down the barrel after each shot. It is amazing how much smoke comes out from some powders. It really seems to take a fair amount of heat out with it as well. We generally shoot two three shot groups before alternating shooters/guns. Sometimes we have a fan set up to blow air down the resting gun and sometimes we lay a wet rag over the barrel from chamber to muzzle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

Yeah, the chamber gets hot after a few shots, how hot depending on the rifle, chambering and (especially) ambient temperature. In fact while prairie dog shooting on 90-100+ degree days we have occasionally "cooked off" chambered rounds without every pulling the trigger. This generally happens when the shooting is fast and furious and we forget to switch rifles now and then to let a hot one cool down.

The primer cup is very thin metal and sitting right next to the bolt face. A warm bolt face will warm-up a cold primer quickly, and a warmer primer tends to light the powder better than a cold one.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Another little help is to quickly get the brass out of the chamber after firing.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob Hagel inspired my experiments, but I must admit that I found his methods a little lacking. For one thing, heating or cooling the ammunition is not the whole story, and that's all he did, then shooting the ammo in a rifle at normal temperatures.

To simulate hunting conditions, the rifle also has to be warm or cold. Otherwise a 70-degree rifle tends to warm up the ammo in the chamber, especially the primer, a big part of the deal.

Hagel also didn't report on point-of-impact changes, another essential part of the equation.

It is a big PITA to shoot at zero F., and a little bit of a PITA to shoot at 95 (about as warm as it gets in my part of Montana) but it's the only way to find out what will actually happen.

John,
I hope people realise you're providing information that mostly is beyond what other than a very few hunters will ever experience. When a hunter selects an opportunity to take the shot, no matter what he is hunting, how many shots will go beyond 100-200 yards? I have killed game in temperatures near freezing and way, way over, the ton and also used the most horrible unmarketable powders available for temperature instability, but I never lost a single animals or recall a miss that could not be attributed to my holding stance.

Fellas, the point is, John is doing a lot of work to help you gain confidence in your gear and your skill to take those shots and not get excessively technical about it all. Enjoy your hunt and don't interfere with your hunt by worrying about powder stability.

Remember when it was fun?

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is an article in one of the Cartridges of the World (I think #10, but I could be wrong) on frontal ignition. While it is completely wrong about duplex loading in the OKH, it is still an interesting article. One of the author's findings was how hot the cartidge cases were compared to those fired from normal cases, leading to the assumption that less heat was transferred to the barrel as well.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

I would disgree somewhat with your assessment. Point of impact can shift considerably at 100 yards in really cold weather (not just freezing), and not only up or down but in any direction.

One of my early experiments found a .270 load that shifted 3" to the right at 0 F., with the rifle sighted-in at 70. That would result in a shot 6" off at 200 yards, easily the difference between a lung-shot deer and one with a bullet right through its middle.

Then there is the difference than cold air can make on trajectory at 300+ yards. Yes, most hunting takes place at closer ranges, but in my part of the West 300-yard shots are quite common, and 400+ yard shots not rare. I have personally shot big game at temperatures down to 30+ below zero F., as have most of my friends here in Montana.

Hunting in temperatures around or below zero isn't uncommon in a lot of North America. The upper Midwest, New England, the Rockies anywhere from New Mexico north, Alaska all commonly experience such temperatures during big game seasons. And in the Rockies, central Canada and interior Alaska it's common to shoot at 300+ yards in zuch cold weather, because that's often when game is most active, even in open country.

I appreciate the amount of hunting you've done, but the northern half of North America is very different from Australia.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a kid, one of my first caribou was shot at ridiculously close range in ridiculously cold weather, <-50F. I literally froze a toe that day in Bunny Boots.

The rifle was a 760 in 35Whelen and the shot was a hang-fire. If the caribou had not spotted me and stood staring until the shot went off there is no doubt I would have missed... As it was the Speer 225 remained mostly unchanged after going through the chest and stopping along the ribs, down low in the cavity.

I have no idea where the rifle was actually pointing by the time it went off.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

258 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 36 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,419
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.