Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
AGW, we had a real Rigby magazine rifle, much as you described it, go through the shop last year, one of four rifles I have seen in my entire life that I would call "exquisite" and it was a utility grade rifle...
Ingwe

The funny (odd) thing, is I have no idea what value such a rifle would have these days. I have owned it for about 15 years now and completely lost touch with where they sit in the market, particuarly as the London Rigby's are no more.

One thing is certain, a hunting rifle that fits as well and points as naturally as this, is not easily replaced. That, I am very conscious of.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

The funny (odd) thing, is I have no idea what value such a rifle would have these days. I have owned it for about 15 years now and completely lost touch with where they sit in the market, particuarly as the London Rigby's are no more.

It is best that I not tell you an approximate value..it would shock you and tempt you to sell the rifle...then you'd have to buy a little machine that sits next to your bed, and kicks you in the azz every morning for the rest of your life... grin
I could get over sellers remorse on my Remington, I fear it would do irreverisible damage to the pysche to sell a Rigby.... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe-one of these days put up a pic of your 70/Fwt that you redid the forend tip to and such so all can get a really good look at it.

Dat is one nice rifle! And I'm fairly sure that the "Big A" is hoping that your stock making ability's don't get out...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

It is best that I not tell you an approximate value..it would shock you and tempt you to sell the rifle...then you'd have to buy a little machine that sits next to your bed, and kicks you in the azz every morning for the rest of your life... grin
I could get over sellers remorse on my Remington, I fear it would do irreverisible damage to the pysche to sell a Rigby.... wink
Ingwe

I already have seller's remorse from the double I foolishly parted with. I still remember showing the 1 5/8" group I shot with 3 rounds from each barrel, to several SCI members who also had a passion of doubles. Very few doubles every built, can put 6 shots into a group that size from 50 yards with factory sights. Mine did, and I will never forget.

My father once told me, "money spent on quality is soon forgotten, but the quality is not", yeah, yeah, I know.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Britt: You're killing me...I am without a Mauser 7x57..... frown

Nicest I have seen/held(years ago) was a G33/40,custom metal,with swept back bolt handle,stocked in dark Circassian (with coffee swirls in a dark caramel background) by Bill Dowtin...austere,light, trim, BALANCED...like nothing I have held since...it leaped to the shoulder like a British shotgun,the reticle RIGHT THERE!....

I was dragged, kicking and screaming from the store, by two buddies of sound mind....I did not have the paltry $3k at the time..... cry

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dober...just for you...heres a varmint pic with that rifle, oh...a couple of days ago... wink
[Linked Image]
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I need my glasses, now where on earth did I set them but I can't see the 4-end tip...grins

And Bob, you get yourself a G33 action and want to trick it out I have a stick of wood that's about to die for partially inletted for the G33 that you could send to Chic Worthing and have one heck of a lil 7x built. Or you could do the really smart and intelligent thingy and just do an 06 Improved, dat being a .270 to the unread... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This 21H 7-57 came with the factory mounts. Those mounts put a standard scope ocular low over the high bolt handle.

The compromise today is a Leupold 3-9 Compact which also has a small enough objective to just clear the rear sight on the barrel.

This rifle also needs a M70 type safety. I am going to bring it to the smith soon and discuss what can be done with it.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
have one heck of a lil 7x built. Or you could do the really smart and intelligent thingy and just do an 06 Improved, dat being a .270 to the unread... cool

Dober

Geeez..I just threw up in my mouth a little....
wink
Ingwe

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
My family has two, both Ruger M77 MKIIs. Neither are as nice as the rifles pictured but they have fast become a favorite rifle for both my son and myself. We don't have a wide variety of game here in Maine but he has killed a couple of white-tails and a black bear with plain jane 140 gr. Core-lokts. I think you'd have a hard time convincing him that it isn't a great rifle.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Savage:This thread is painful...you are not helping grin

Dober:Great idea.....where the hell do you find a G33/40 today??? I can see it all now; my failed efforts for a G33 cause me to get desperate; next you know it's a Granite Mountain or Satterllee Mauser...then the wood....on and on it goes and I will be lucky to escape for mucho dollars,likely 5 figures.....

Better just sit and wait.... frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have the following 7x57s:

BRAZILIAN (DWM) MAUSER 1908 CUSTOM
BRAZILIAN (DWM) MAUSER 1908 CUSTOM
FN 49 (SPORTERIZED)
INTERARMS MARK X MANNLICHER
INTERARMS MARK X MANNLICHER (PARTS GUN)
REMINGTON 700 MOUNTAIN RIFLE
REMINGTON 700 CLASSIC (PARTS GUN)
RUGER 77 RSI (NIB)

The 1st rifle that I bought with $$ that I had earned, by hauling maple sap buckets and hay bales for neighboring farmers, was a sporterized Venezuelan (FN) 24/30 carbine in 7x57 for $37.50. Although it no longer exists in its simple sporterized configuration, the action is still earning its keep as an E.R. Shaw barreled 257 Roberts.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several years ago I went to a 50+ reunion at TSJC and renewed some friendships. I also contracted for my first custom rifle I had ever had built (down thru the years I had always built my own). I decided on a 7x57 as it was a caliber I had never owned. My close friend and classmate Clayton Nelson built it for me and it is an outstanding rifle I must say. It's on an Argentine actioned obtained appropiately from the TSJC bookstore which is probably the most unusual college bookstore in the US. It has custom backup irons by Clayton along with a Mdl 70 style safety and Timney trigger with the blade greatly reshaped to rear of modified original bottom metal trigger guard. Barrel is a very slim 22" Douglas. Stock is a VERY dark piece of board sawed walnut, selected especially for the extra dark color. I dislike LIGHT colored wood on a gun. Mounts are Talley rings on some of Clayton's custom bases. The custom irons are quite unique. Single blade folding rear on a custom sculptured pedastal base. Front is a unique ramp base that the long front sight retracts into completely. It has a large ivory square bead. Steel grip cap and a reshaped Neidner checkered steel buttplate. Ebony forearm tip. Checkering is extremly fine wrap pattern fully mullered border. Bolt handle is straight and checkered. Scope is a Leupold Vari X II 3-9. Weighs exactly 7 lbs. I specified it was to be used with 175gr bullets only. It shoots under 1" 3 shot groups with 175gr Nosler Partitions from a cold barrel. Subsequent shots string vertically as the barrel heats. Barrel is very tapered and thin. It has been to Africa and acquitted itself well on plains game, especially several Kudu to supply council with meat for a celebration, with a couple of Impala for camp meat. It would be my preferred second rifle for any hunts in Africa even above my old favorite 06. To say I treasure it would be an understatement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have thought, on and off, over the past couple of years that a CLR/NULA hybrid in 7x57 would be a pretty neat package.

CLR acton = $500+/-
NULA barrel, stock, and trigger = $1000+/-

Tempting, isn't it?

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
tj3005...

Your seems to be quite similar to one I found at a shop last month. BRNO VZ24 action put together by an late match-grade 'smith, classic stock, etc. Have only yet fired factory ammo as am waiting for dies and brass.

My interest was piqued over the years by articles from JB.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob-I've seen two in the last year or so, both went cheaper than I thought they should of. I should of bought the both of them but didn't.

Next time I see one I'll let you know and if you find one I'll mail you the wood to check out. It's a screamer piece for sure!

Side note here, while I'm not normally a fan of "plywood" (laminate) handles I've been around 3 in the last year or so that Serengetti (spl?) did that more than impressed me!

Dober

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Am also impressed with Serengeti laminates....look good...
Ingwe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I don't have a 33/40 I found this pic.

[Linked Image]

For myself I would rather have a 22F or 21H actioned rifle. One complete might be less than a grand still (I hope).

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
AGW, we had a real Rigby magazine rifle, much as you described it, go through the shop last year, one of four rifles I have seen in my entire life that I would call "exquisite" and it was a utility grade rifle...
Ingwe

And you didn't snag it?

Dude............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a 22F with the old style round bridges. The later ones had double square bridges for a slide on, detachable factory mount.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,589
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.