Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Every few years I get the hots to own and shoot a Ruger #1-B in 22 L.R.!
I am "there" again.
I think I could have just a ton of fun with a rimfire Ruger #1.
I wonder if I should write to or call the folks at Ruger and express my desires and see what they think?
I might even enjoy owning a Ruger #1-V (heavy barrel!) in 22 L.R.
Then, as long as I am wishing, I wish the folks at Ruger would ALSO make a Ruger #1-B in 17 HMR!
Then I could really get some fun shooting done with one of those.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

M
M
I too have always wanted one so I sent My Ruger #1 out for conversion. Can't wait. I doubt Ruger will ever make one. But it won't hurt to you contact them. Let us know if they answer you.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
MK111: Oh please fill me in on how difficult (or easy - hopefully!) this conversion is going to be?
Whats involved?
And who does such work?
Best of luck with your conversion.
Any particulars on the Rifles barrel weight, length, twist, chambering etc would be appreciated.
Do it yourself - I should have thought of that, good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I remember correctly there's two schools of rim fire conversions for the #1. One is to redesign the pin channel and firing pin and the other is to drop the block (perhaps a third way might be to offset the chamber). I'd much rather have it done in the A line. Ideally they'd make a miniature version of the action. Don't hold yer breath either way.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
M
M
You are correct that there are three ways of converting the Ruger #1 to rimfire. As it stands it looks like we are going to go to the system of changing the location of the firing pin. As soon as he has my rifle and his rifle done he will setup for production. We are going to use the orginal Ruger barrel with a Match Grade liner. It will have a semi-match chamber as a full match chamber wouldn't chamber the shell with the falling block action. With retaining the orginal barrel we will keep the orginal Ruger scope mounting system and over all apperance.Will let you know when finished.

Last edited by MK111; 07/22/09.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MK111,

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry if this is impolite, but I'd love a break down of the cost. I'd like to pick up a #3 in hornet or .223 and do this conversion *if* it's reasonable in cost. I believe getting appropriate extraction is going to be the most costly hourly smithing charge.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
M
M
The final cost will be determined when the conversions are completed. It is our idea to offer this conversion for sale. I started the process five years ago when I bought my #1 just for this conversion. I just now finally got him aggreed to it. Please don't convert a #3 as they are just too rare to destroy one. 15 years ago I rechambered my #3 from .22 Hornet to .221 Fireball and I wish I would have done a #1 instead. But done is done. My guy is building the gigs now for production so project is moving on. This type of conversion should be the most inexpensive way to convert. Since we are using the orginal barrel we don't have to start from scratch on labor and cost of the barrel. The barrel comes off for relining. Then comes the extractor. Lighten up the hammer fall and work on the trigger. The major job of moving the firing pin location will be the most difficult.

Last edited by MK111; 07/23/09.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
MK111: Thank you very much for the information and please keep us updated on the progress.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,889
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.