Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
properly equiped tundra with 5.7 aint getting it done in the HD world!and yes i am getting 15mpg

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
With a 4x4?

I'd love to see that.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cant imagine buying a HD truck so that you can make 3-4 heavy bed loads in a 4 year period, but whatever scratches the itch I guess. I will say that my 5.7L Tundra 4x4 extended cab gets between 17-20 mpg on the highway empty depending on how many hills I pull, and tows my 7000 lb travel trailer through the hills at a constant 9-10 mpg. There arent very many trucks on the road that will outrun it or out tow it (cept another Tundra) and all I have had to add to it were E rated tires. That works out pretty good on the $$$ end of things.

I'll add that its good on ya to be supporting a company that we the taxpayers now own, cuz they are gonna need out consumer support to make it. I recently shopped for a new ride for my wife and was wanting to do the whole support GM thing, so we looked at a 09 Chevy Traverse with the LTZ package (very shnazzy rig) but the price tag did not match the quality of interior components. Bought the wife an Audi Q5 instead, should be in country in about 3 weeks!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That's a nice looking truck. Hope you enjoy it. I threw around the idea of getting a 09 CC SB but I can not part with my 07 Silverado Classic Dmax for now. I drove the 09 and it had a few more buttons than my LT3 and the engine was quieter than my 07. My 07 has only 40k miles on it so maybe about 2014 or 15 I'll get a new if they still make the HD Dmax. However my Dmax is better than a new truck because it's paid for finally. I hope the diesels light trucks are still around when I need a new one. The few times I drive my dad's gas truck I can't wait to get back in my diesel.

magnums the only way to shoot
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Cant imagine buying a HD truck so that you can make 3-4 heavy bed loads in a 4 year period, but whatever scratches the itch I guess.

I use it to haul heavy a hell of a lot more than once a year.

I will say that my 5.7L Tundra 4x4 extended cab gets between 17-20 mpg on the highway empty depending on how many hills I pull, and tows my 7000 lb travel trailer through the hills at a constant 9-10 mpg.

My 2002 Dmax got the same mileage on the highway, and got 13-15 mpg pulling a 7000 lb trailer..........

There arent very many trucks on the road that will outrun it or out tow it (cept another Tundra) and all I have had to add to it were E rated tires. [quote]

Virtually ever other 3/4 ton truck ever made made in the last 20 years will out haul and out tow the Tundra. And a whole bunch of chipped or tuned diesels will out run it. Make no mistake, the Tundra is a great 1/2 ton truck, arguably the best--but it's just a 1/2 ton truck. I tired hard to buy one, but it's frame--contrary to their marketing claims--is not very beefy when you compare it two a 3/4 ton truck frame.

I'll add that its good on ya to be supporting a company that we the taxpayers now own, cuz they are gonna need out consumer support to make it.

I look at this as one of the last chances to get a real truck. Obama did not want me buying a 3/4 ton turbo diesel, he wanted me to buy a Prius. The new head of GM says they are going to focus on smaller cars, whih will put them out of business. Now if the keep making pickups and SUVs--which is what people want--they'll do fine.

I recently shopped for a new ride for my wife and was wanting to do the whole support GM thing, so we looked at a 09 Chevy Traverse with the LTZ package (very shnazzy rig) but the price tag did not match the quality of interior components. Bought the wife an Audi Q5 instead, should be in country in about 3 weeks!

You should have looked at the GMCs. The interior and interior components on my wife's 2008 Acadia is as good or better than anything else in it's class. The local delaership is a GM/Checy/Toyota dealership, and they recommend the the Acadia over the larger Toyota SUVs. We have had this rig for over a year now and we know why.

In terms of pickups, the dealership seems to like the DMax for a real truck, followed by the Tundra, with the 1/2 ton Chevy in third place.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=AlaskaCub] I will say that my 5.7L Tundra 4x4 extended cab gets between 17-20 mpg on the highway [quote]

You are the only person I've ever known to get 17-20mpg with that truck. I personally know three people with that same truck, plus on who has the 2wd model. They ave 14-16 mpg. One guy got 17 mpg on a road trip (empty) and was estatic he got 17, he averages 15 mpg. The guy with the two wheel drive averages about 16 mpg.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Blaine
You should have looked at the GMCs. The interior and interior components on my wife's 2008 Acadia is as good or better than anything else in it's class. The local delaership is a GM/Checy/Toyota dealership, and they recommend the the Acadia over the larger Toyota SUVs. We have had this rig for over a year now and we know why. quote=Blaine]

I tried to get her to look at the Acadias , I think they look pretty cool, tougher than the Traverse. She was immediately turned off by the quality of interior hard plastic that the doors and dash were made out of. They are identical to the Traverse as far as interior/inferior materials. The two we looked at (GMC/Chevrolet) were the higher end models ($41K +) and for the sticker prices, an equally priced Lexus or Audi comes with much higher quality materials that are clearly more inline with the price (which by the way is about the same as the Traverse and Acadia). She did like the Buick Enclave, but I wont get into how that went right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tx270
[quote=AlaskaCub] I will say that my 5.7L Tundra 4x4 extended cab gets between 17-20 mpg on the highway [quote]

You are the only person I've ever known to get 17-20mpg with that truck. I personally know three people with that same truck, plus on who has the 2wd model. They ave 14-16 mpg. One guy got 17 mpg on a road trip (empty) and was estatic he got 17, he averages 15 mpg. The guy with the two wheel drive averages about 16 mpg.

Guess they have better gas in Alaska?

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Blaine
You should have looked at the GMCs. The interior and interior components on my wife's 2008 Acadia is as good or better than anything else in it's class. The local delaership is a GM/Checy/Toyota dealership, and they recommend the the Acadia over the larger Toyota SUVs. We have had this rig for over a year now and we know why. quote=Blaine]

I tried to get her to look at the Acadias , I think they look pretty cool, tougher than the Traverse. She was immediately turned off by the quality of interior hard plastic that the doors and dash were made out of. They are identical to the Traverse as far as interior/inferior materials. The two we looked at (GMC/Chevrolet) were the higher end models ($41K +) and for the sticker prices, an equally priced Lexus or Audi comes with much higher quality materials that are clearly more inline with the price (which by the way is about the same as the Traverse and Acadia). She did like the Buick Enclave, but I wont get into how that went right now.

I guess we're just hicks down here, because we thought the interior fit and quality of the Acadia was very nice. We liked the hard plastic and leather, it was well put together, and it is very durable--then again, a "plush" interior turns us off. The Acadia still looks new after a year.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmt277
That's a nice looking truck. Hope you enjoy it. I threw around the idea of getting a 09 CC SB but I can not part with my 07 Silverado Classic Dmax for now. I drove the 09 and it had a few more buttons than my LT3 and the engine was quieter than my 07. My 07 has only 40k miles on it so maybe about 2014 or 15 I'll get a new if they still make the HD Dmax. However my Dmax is better than a new truck because it's paid for finally. I hope the diesels light trucks are still around when I need a new one. The few times I drive my dad's gas truck I can't wait to get back in my diesel.

I would definitely not get rid of your '07. I wouldn't have even got a new truck had I not been rearended and totalled.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tx270

I get 20mpg driving 70mph on the interstate. 5.7, 4x4, extended cab (not double cab). I don't have the tow package so that may make a difference. It's been consistent as long as I don't get to happy on the accelerator.

There does seem to be a problem with the radio. It's turned on and refused to turn off a few times. Kinda odd, but it's the only fault I've found so far.......

JCM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I average 17 mpg for all-around driving in the city and highway. I've gotten as good as 21.7 mph doing totally highway driving. That is with the 5.7 L, and it is a JOY to drive. I love my Tundra. It is my third one.
I saw in a report two months back where they did a test on the Dodge, Ford, and Chevy. They all averaged 14 mpg. Chevy has ads about getting 20/22 mpg. They don't tell you that is with their 315 hp model. The Tundra has 381 hp, and does as good or better than all the rest. I have no problems with getting 17 mpg overall out of a big truck with 381 hp.

Last edited by hunter01; 07/28/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not questioning anyones answers here, I believe you.

But are these figures pen to paper at fill up or going by the computer? I have had more than one truck of various brands and the computer was rarely right on mpg, sometimes off as much as 2-3 mpg, and never for the better! LOL!

Something I've noticed over the years at least with diesel pickups, mine averages 17 mpg (empty) here in TX. I can drive to CO, NM or anywhere once I get over about 6500 ft elevation and my fuel milage increases a good deal. Drove over 500 miles on 3/4 of a tank last year in CO and ave 21.7 mpg (pen to paper), on the way home as I dropped in elevation so did my mpg. By the time I got home 17 mpg as usual. Friends have had the same experience.

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 07/28/09.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of my are based on odometer readings from each fillup. I don't have a mpg computer on mine....

JCM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My calculations are from both, calc and computer and the computer on my Tundra is never more than .2 off of my math.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blaine

I guess we're just hicks down here, because we thought the interior fit and quality of the Acadia was very nice. We liked the hard plastic and leather, it was well put together, and it is very durable--then again, a "plush" interior turns us off. The Acadia still looks new after a year.

Cant comment on the hick thing, but when your talking about a crossover SUV that costs more than $40K , painted solid plastic aint gonna cut it. I did want to give you an update though, I bought momma the Buick Enclave instead of the Audi, we pick it up tomorrow. Its a tough decision for me to buy a Big 3 vehicle that cost as much as this one does, but I look at it like this......Our country is gonna be straight [bleep] if we dont start buying more chit from American companies (even if they arent made in America, or arent as good as import chit...grin) cuz if not I see our economy totally collapsing, sooner than later. I pay a chit pile of taxes a year and figure if I own 60% of Government Motors, I may as well drive one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
......Our country is gonna be straight [bleep] if we dont start buying more chit from American companies (even if they arent made in America, or arent as good as import chit...grin) cuz if not I see our economy totally collapsing, sooner than later. I pay a chit pile of taxes a year and figure if I own 60% of Government Motors, I may as well drive one!

Be that as it may, it's apparently not a two way street. GM went to court to get a contract nullified that they had with the only platinum/palladium mine in the USA. That mine was located here in south-central Montana. Now they're free to shop for the best deal they can find. May be good for them but doesn't instill any loyalty from me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
..Our country is gonna be straight [bleep] if we dont start buying more chit from American companies (even if they arent made in America, or arent as good as import chit...grin) cuz if not I see our economy totally collapsing, sooner than later. I pay a chit pile of taxes a year and figure if I own 60% of Government Motors, I may as well drive one!

I will continue to buy the product that I feel provides the best value for the dollar regardless of who makes it.The vehicles that I now own were made in the U.S.A. by American workers but not by American owned companies.If we start buying from American companies just because they are American,they will have no need to try and match the competition in quality and value,and they will fall behind even further.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stubblejumper

I will continue to buy the product that I feel provides the best value for the dollar regardless of who makes it.The vehicles that I now own were made in the U.S.A. by American workers but not by American owned companies.If we start buying from American companies just because they are American,they will have no need to try and match the competition in quality and value,and they will fall behind even further.

Agreed, but my current view is that now that many of the jap vehicles are being made here in the U.S. as opposed to Japan, the quality is on par with U.S. owned vehicle companies. My current 07 Tundra is not what the Jap Toyota trucks were, I have had my share of visits to the dealership. Lets just say way more often than I did with the last 4 Toyotas I have owned that had VIN #'s that started with the letter J (Japan produced).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, but my current view is that now that many of the jap vehicles are being made here in the U.S. as opposed to Japan, the quality is on par with U.S. owned vehicle companies. My current 07 Tundra is not what the Jap Toyota trucks were, I have had my share of visits to the dealership. Lets just say way more often than I did with the last 4 Toyotas I have owned that had VIN #'s that started with the letter J (Japan produced).

I currently have two American built Toyotas,and one built in Canada,and none of them have required any warranty work in over two years.I have never been able to say that about any of my vehicles built by the big three.They may all be made in North America,but I believe that the vehicles made by the Japanese companies are still made to a higher standard.The gap is closing,but they aren't at the same level yet.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 29 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,634
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.