Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
High Mountain Outfitters is now carrying Havalon Knives. For those not familiar with the knives, they incorporate a replaceable surgical blade. These are great for skinning out your game as well as being a popular taxidermy tool. The knives range in weight from 1.3 oz. to 1.8 oz. making them a great addition to your lightweight gear. Each knife comes with 12 replacement blades plus additional replacement blades are available separately.

Havalon Knives Original Piranta SS Pro Skinning Knife

[Linked Image]

Havalon Knives Piranta Edge Skinning Knife

[Linked Image]

Havalon Knives Piranta Z Pro Skinning Knife

[Linked Image]

I should have the other two smaller models, extra blades and accessories up on the website by tomorrow.

Mike

csHigh-Mountain-Outfitters.com
http://www.High-Mountain-Outfitters.com

www.High-Mountain-Outfitters.com

First Lite, Eberlestock, Kenetrek, Hilleberg, Darn Tough, Badlands, Integral Designs and more.

www.AlpineMoto.net

Snowmobile Gear, MotorFist
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of these and love it.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yep, I have the original Piranta, it IS the cats azz for skinning / caping operations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are reasonably priced, light and I can completely butcher out an elk (as in trimmed and ready for vaccum packing or grinder) with about two blades.

Conrad101st
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you haven't used one, these are GREAT knives....but i swear, if i even look at the blade, my fingers start to bleed. They are very, very sharp and as mentioned above, great for caping, skinning, and deboning.

~backcounty hunting the west~
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Website down?

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Aarrgg ...

First Lite, Eberlestock, Kenetrek, Hilleberg, Darn Tough, Badlands, Integral Designs and more.

www.AlpineMoto.net

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
OK ... website is back up ...

www.AlpineMoto.net

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Very good knife...and get a decade of non sterilized blades (100) for like $16.00......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand the concept ... but can the blades be resharpened? The cheapskate in me needs to ask. smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Resharpened? Don't see any reason why not ... though it may be a little tough to get them back to original sharpness ... wink

Mike

www.AlpineMoto.net

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by avagadro
I understand the concept ... but can the blades be resharpened? The cheapskate in me needs to ask. smile

I did run mine thru a sharpener after skinning out my lope last fall and it seemed to tune it up pretty decent but not like a new blade.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one of these knives the other day. This High Mountain Outfitter deal got the knife to me in like 24 hours.....with free shipping.

I am almost beyond cheap due to divorce. But after seeing the design, I hopped on a knife without doing any internet research or price shopping.

I am on an orange kick as of late, so I purchased the orange handled model. Tired of setting knives down to wipe sweat or clean hands only to forget or lose them. I have not put it to use in the field since I've had it less than a day but here is my take:

I own or have owned many nice knives. I've had Doziers, Knives of Alaska sets, Blade Tech Pro Hunters(current fav) and RAT Cutlery knives. I do backpack in overnight for deer and bears. So weight is a concern. And I also apprenticed in taxidermy and know how to cape animals and properly care for a hide/cape.

In my honest opinion, this is easily the way to go. Again, I really like and appreciate nice knives. But I think most will stay in the drawer when it is time to go out, away from the truck for any amount of time. You simply cannot keep a knife sharp enough for ALL of the chores associated with taking a critter from field to freezer and taxidermist. Has a nice ergo handle, orange colored as to not lose it. Has a pocket clip like most modern pocket knives and has a liner lock, as well as thumb stud for easy one handed operation. And a surgically sharp blade is about 10 seconds away at any time. Came with 12 blades to replace as well.

This blade/knife combo along with ONE decently stout folder is all one would ever need.

Good purchase, quick ship.

Not at all associated with the supplier. Just pretty impressed with a product that appears very useful and serves a purpose.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ordered one yesterday......looking forward to trying it out this year.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Havalon has added some scrimshaw-style knives to their Piranta line. Dubbed the Piranta Predator Series.

Cougar

[Linked Image]

Grizzly Bear

[Linked Image]

Timber Wolf

[Linked Image]

Mike

High Mountain Outfitters

www.AlpineMoto.net

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I ordered one of the orange ones from High Mountain. I just used it on a client's bull elk. These are nice knives. There were actually two of us working on the bull, but my havalon took off 2 legs including cutting the leg off at the knee joint, did about half the caping and removed the back straps. Great product and High mountain with free shipping seems to have the best price.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How solidly does the blade get fixed to the handle? Does it have any wobble?

BBerg.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The blade is solid. It clips to a dovetailed arm rail that is the flip out portion of the locking arm. I have never had a blade pop off the arm after cleaning 6 animals. That said, it's not meant to be used as a chisel or pry bar.

Conrad101st
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
For those folks looking for last minute gift ideas, High Mountain Outfitters has great prices and free priority shipping for the holiday on Havalon Piranta Knives - The surgical sharp skinning knives.

Havalon Piranta Knives Sale

Michael

High Mountain Outfitters

www.AlpineMoto.net

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 21, 69 invisible), 3,205 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,435
Posts18,528,611
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.